2021 Chemistry PhD Admissions Results

a1120

11 hours ago, Nightrestr said:

Thanks a lot, guys, for sharing your thoughts about Scripps!
I finally accepted the offer. 
Tomthegreat and sleechem, are you considering accepting to the CA campus?

I haven't officially accepted the offer yet as I'm having some last minute dilemmas but yes its for the CA campus!

13 hours ago, Nightrestr said:

Thanks a lot, guys, for sharing your thoughts about Scripps!
I finally accepted the offer. 
Tomthegreat and sleechem, are you considering accepting to the CA campus?

Oh wow that's great! And yes CA campus is the one I am considering to accept. Just need to double check with some profs with regard to the research interest fit before I can make up my mind. BTW which interview week did you attend? 

On 3/9/2021 at 7:14 AM, ZC4000 said:

I can't speak for theory, but I went to the UCSD open house for inorganic and had a terrific experience. All of my interactions with the professors and students were positive. The inorganic division was very welcoming to all students. I think if you ask each PI what they expect out of students, they're going to be honest and tell you how it is. However, the ones I spoke with were very laid back and really pushed the fact that the department has an emphasis on doing fun chemistry.

Word from students was that biochemistry division was more 'competitive' but I don't know about the other tracks.

Can you comment a little more about what you heard about the biochemistry division and the competitiveness? I am considering accepting their offer. Thanks!

19 minutes ago, FeFeH2ase said:

Can you comment a little more about what you heard about the biochemistry division and the competitiveness? I am considering accepting their offer. Thanks!

It's hard for me to comment on it because I just heard from inorganic people. They didn't say it was bad, but just because the biochemistry division is highly ranked there more students joining who are going to have that competitive mindset. By that I mean that they're going to be there 60+ hrs a week. Personally, I don't think that's bad. The biochemistry faculty is excellent and the department has the best crystallography facilities in the country. However, I would recommend speaking to students in the lab's you're interested in.

19 minutes ago, ZC4000 said:

It's hard for me to comment on it because I just heard from inorganic people. They didn't say it was bad, but just because the biochemistry division is highly ranked there more students joining who are going to have that competitive mindset. By that I mean that they're going to be there 60+ hrs a week. Personally, I don't think that's bad. The biochemistry faculty is excellent and the department has the best crystallography facilities in the country. However, I would recommend speaking to students in the lab's you're interested in.

Thank you for the reply! I totally expect that there will be a lot of hours spent in the lab (and fine with that). I just wanted to make sure there wasnt anything overtly toxic going on that would probably not come up during the recruitment weekend. I'm definitely going to reach out to more student! Thanks!

On 3/17/2021 at 11:42 PM, sleechem said:

I haven't officially accepted the offer yet as I'm having some last minute dilemmas but yes its for the CA campus!

Got it. See you there if you do accept the offer:)

On 3/18/2021 at 1:13 AM, Tomthegreat said:

Oh wow that's great! And yes CA campus is the one I am considering to accept. Just need to double check with some profs with regard to the research interest fit before I can make up my mind. BTW which interview week did you attend? 

I attended the first one. And you?:) 

TL:DR; NYU's financial package can be about $52-$58k per year.

Just want to mention NYU's very competitive stipend and TA package.

4 years on package, but was assured no issue finding funding by the 5th year.

You have the normal tuition, fees, health coverage, etc.

Stipend over 9 months is around $30k. Increases about 2% every year.

TA'ing is not required. Instead, you can choose to TA for 4 semesters over 4 years.

This pays an additional $12-18k per semester depending on the workload.

Additional $1k grant for first year. Additionally, if you work as an RA over the summer, you get about $10k.

Overall, if you take advantage of all the options, the financial package winds up being $52k-$58k each year.

I haven't seen any other universities with such a competitive package.

Has anyone at all received a rejection from JHU? Haven't seen any posts of rejections on the results page, only acceptances. I received an email from a person in the department saying that if I haven't received an update yet than my application is still being considered. I know the deadline for most schools requiring a decision is coming soon so they can't possibly be considering their decision for much longer right? So frustrating...

Hi, has anyone applied for the Chemistry PhD programs at

1.University of Texas, El - Paso

2.Virginia Commonwealth University

3.Bowling Green State University, Ohio

4.Utah State University

5. University of Nevada,Reno.

I applied during the first week of March to these Universities. I'm very anxious since I've applied pretty late. 

Has anyone heard from the above grad schools? 

• 2 weeks later...