Fall 2021

baerga

1 hour ago, ChrisBJ said:

Hi everyone, it's so good to see an Art History thread!

I wonder if anyone who applied for the 2021 Art History Ph.D. program at Princeton or Harvard receives an interview request yet? If so, would you mind sharing your interview questions and the experience? Does the department actually conduct interviews? Is it possible that you will receive an acceptance letter without an interview? When will they send out the rejection or acceptance letters? 

Many thanks! 

Neither does interviews to my knowledge. Acceptance letters usually come out in the first half of February. The longer you're waiting the less likely you were accepted.

44 minutes ago, jbc568 said:

Neither does interviews to my knowledge. Acceptance letters usually come out in the first half of February. The longer you're waiting the less likely you were accepted.

Thanks for the info!! I am getting so stressed out when I saw others have received either interviews or offer letters, but I heard nothing from the school. Do you mind me asking which schools did you apply? What's your research field? I am thinking this year's application would be extremely competitive since so many programs cancelled admission due to COVID. 

42 minutes ago, ChrisBJ said:

Thanks for the info!! I am getting so stressed out when I saw others have received either interviews or offer letters, but I heard nothing from the school. Do you mind me asking which schools did you apply? What's your research field? I am thinking this year's application would be extremely competitive since so many programs cancelled admission due to COVID. 

Same here -- none of the programs I've applied to do interviews, so I'll have to find out the long and hard way. The frustration is real!

3 hours ago, ChrisBJ said:

I wonder if anyone who applied for the 2021 Art History Ph.D. program at Princeton or Harvard receives an interview request yet? If so, would you mind sharing your interview questions and the experience? Does the department actually conduct interviews? Is it possible that you will receive an acceptance letter without an interview? When will they send out the rejection or acceptance letters? 

Many thanks! 

Based on former stats Princeton doesn't do interviews and sends our acceptances around Feb 7 or 8th. It could be different this year because of COVID etc so they might be delayed. They also might be doing interviews given that Columbia (which historically has not done interviews) did interviews this year it seems but I doubt it. 

2 minutes ago, ecodesign said:

Same here -- none of the programs I've applied to do interviews, so I'll have to find out the long and hard way. The frustration is real!

As long as we know that the schools we have applied to do not conduct interviews, I guess we can ease our mind a bit until early Feb, lol... Then, the reality will hit us. To be honest, I have already convinced myself that I won't get into any of the schools that I applied to this year, and I am just waiting for an official rejection letter. I have never thought about applying to Princeton nor Harvard if my other choices were not canceled. 

3 hours ago, ChrisBJ said:

Many thanks! 

Hi-

I also applied but never heard anything since the Dec 1 deadline, sadly. According to results posted by others last year it seems like there were "unofficial" acceptances coming out around this time (I’m referring to the one post on Jan 27 last year saying the person individually reached out to POI and learned that admitted students were already notified). Someone I know who was accepted into Princeton a few years ago told me she did have interview after submitting the application, but did not specify if she interviewed with POI only or with the admission committee. Not sure if the department is still doing interviews these days. Still anxiously waiting but somewhat prepared to assume a rejection. It's a brutal year for us art history people, but good luck to all of us!

4 minutes ago, lingc35 said:

Based on former stats Princeton doesn't do interviews and sends our acceptances around Feb 7 or 8th. It could be different this year because of COVID etc so they might be delayed. They also might be doing interviews given that Columbia (which historically has not done interviews) did interviews this year it seems but I doubt it. 

Are you referring to one of the post that a student received an interview request in this thread? If yes, it seems that it's one particular professor who wants to chat rather than a committee. But I don't know the details. However, if you say that Columbia is doing interviews this year, I think Princeton might do the same because of COVID. 

1 minute ago, Abbyhummingbird said:

Hi-

I also applied but never heard anything since the Dec 1 deadline, sadly. According to results posted by others last year it seems like there were "unofficial" acceptances coming out around this time (I’m referring to the one post on Jan 27 last year saying the person individually reached out to POI and learned that admitted students were already notified). Someone I know who was accepted into Princeton a few years ago told me she did have interview after submitting the application, but did not specify if she interviewed with POI only or with the admission committee. Not sure if the department is still doing interviews these days. Still anxiously waiting but somewhat prepared to assume a rejection. It's a brutal year for us art history people, but good luck to all of us!

Thanks for your info too. I am getting mixed info on the interview that's why I wanted to ask others. Do you mind me asking what's your research field? Although I know I am most likely will be rejected, I still don't have the guts to contact the department and ask the application status. It unfortunately, will be a brutal year (perhaps even more brutal year) next year again if we are rejected this year. Best of luck to all of us too! 

22 minutes ago, ChrisBJ said:

Are you referring to one of the post that a student received an interview request in this thread? If yes, it seems that it's one particular professor who wants to chat rather than a committee. But I don't know the details. However, if you say that Columbia is doing interviews this year, I think Princeton might do the same because of COVID. 

Yeah, it was me who posted. i had an interview with two profs in the department but I suppose you're right that no one else has posted about it so maybe it is just a particular case and they aren't doing interviews for everyone

Just now, lingc35 said:

Yeah, it was me who posted. i had an interview with two profs in the department but I suppose you're right that no one else has posted about it so maybe it is just a particular case and they aren't doing interviews for everyone

Having an interview is definitely a good sign, so congrats anyway! How did it go? Did you contact any of these two profs ahead of time (before application) and mention their names in your SOP? I didn't apply Columbia but I am curious to know their application process. When will you hear their decisions? 

Just now, ChrisBJ said:

Having an interview is definitely a good sign, so congrats anyway! How did it go? Did you contact any of these two profs ahead of time (before application) and mention their names in your SOP? I didn't apply Columbia but I am curious to know their application process. When will you hear their decisions? 

Also, we don't know if others even know the thread exists, so your interview might not be a particular case. 

Just now, ChrisBJ said:

Thanks! I am indeed new to the forum. Couldn't open your link. Got a warning sign. 

Are you getting a warning sign from your browser? I've been getting that too recently. Anyway, if you go to the top of the page where it says 'Results' you can see it there (although you might still get that warning sign).

9 minutes ago, ChrisBJ said:

It went well. They're only accepting 5 students this year, typically it's 15. I contacted the two professors that interviewed me before I submitted and they both said they were not taking students but I applied anyway and I did mention them in my application. So they ended up liking my application and being involved in the admissions process. Typically, based on stats on results (the link that martiday sent), it looks like Columbia sends out acceptances around mid to late Feb and rejections at the beginning of March 

Edited by lingc35

1 minute ago, martiday said:

Are you getting a warning sign from your browser? I've been getting that too recently. Anyway, if you go to the top of the page where it says 'Results' you can see it there (although you might still get that warning sign).

Yep. Got a warning sign from the browser saying the web may steal personal or financial info. Got the same warning from the "Results" button too. :(

Just now, lingc35 said:

It went well. They're only accepting 5 students this year, typically it's 15. I contacted them before and they told me they were not taking students. I did mention them in my application so they ended up like my application and being involved in the admissions process. Typically, based on stats on results (the link that martiday sent), it looks like Columbia sends out acceptances around mid to late Feb and rejections at the beginning of March 

How funny that they first told you they were not taking students this year! Congrats again for having a successful interview, and you are one step closer to be accepted! Sorry if you have already mentioned this in other posts, but is your field in photography and film studies? 
I made a grave mistake by writing the wrong professor's name in my first email when I tried to introduce myself and my research interests, and I never heard back from her after apologizing as soon as I found it out. Although she won't be my primary advisor and I did have her correct name in my SOP, I think I have left a bad taste in her mouth, and my chance of getting into the program is even slimmer, I suppose. 

Hello everyone! 
I just received an acceptance from Tulane University for their MA program. However, I am waitlisted for a tuition waiver and stipend. Either way, I am happy to have been accepted somewhere this year! Especially with everything going on...

My interest is in Latin American viceregal visual culture. I also applied for Ph.D. at UCLA, Hopkins, and Cornell. For MA, I applied to Tulane, Williams, University of Florida, Delaware, and the Courtauld.

Best of luck to everyone! 

I just learned that a professor I listed in my SOP for my first choice school as someone with whom I wanted to work, retired!  So bummed! This will make me less of a fit for their program in an already tough application year. ?

Got waitlisted for Courtauld today. Applied for History of Dress with no second option, not holding my breath, but glad it wasn't a rejection! There was no interview, received an email last week letting me know my application was under review though
0a/1w/0r/4p