Fall 2021

baerga

14 hours ago, Kylix said:

Princeton announced they're pushing their admissions decision date a week later for undergraduate applicants due to a high volume of applications.  I wonder if grad decisions for the top schools will come out later also.

Hopefully not...or I'd just be obsessively checking the results section every few minutes for a few more days lol

Hey! Has anyone heard from Bard’s MA? I saw on the results page that someone had applied to Bard for PhD but is interviewing for MA. I haven’t heard anything so wondering if they have already sent out interview invites. Website says interviews will be early February. 
Thanks!!

1 hour ago, ScholarSack said:

Hey! Has anyone heard from Bard’s MA? I saw on the results page that someone had applied to Bard for PhD but is interviewing for MA. I haven’t heard anything so wondering if they have already sent out interview invites. Website says interviews will be early February. 
Thanks!!

Hi there, that was me. I was notified late last week and have been asked to schedule a time next week. Because I applied to the PhD program, they may been notifying me separately, so I wouldn't assume the invitations have already all gone out. Good luck, though! This has been a really stressful last few weeks.

5 minutes ago, dora.maar said:

Hi there, that was me. I was notified late last week and have been asked to schedule a time next week. Because I applied to the PhD program, they may been notifying me separately, so I wouldn't assume the invitations have already all gone out. Good luck, though! This has been a really stressful last few weeks.

Thank you! Good luck to you too! Waiting for results has been pretty brutal and it’s only just begun! 

8 hours ago, Affogato said:

Does anybody know if Princeton is on schedule to release their results in February like they usually do? I was thinking of reaching out and asking an administrative assistant. 

Admissions is already a ton of work for administrators. Just wait it out!

20 hours ago, Affogato said:

Does anybody know if Princeton is on schedule to release their results in February like they usually do? I was thinking of reaching out and asking an administrative assistant. 

I contacted grad administration since I got an offer elsewhere and am waiting to make a decision and they said late Feb/early March. I HATE WAITING :( 

1 hour ago, Kylix said:

No, I need to decide by the end of the month or the unspecified funding will be offered to another candidate. It stinks, it's wrong, but true. I questioned it and got it clearly in writing.

@Kylix Yikes, best of luck with that! Imperfect information really is the worst part about all of this.

16 minutes ago, wookie55 said:

@jondewitthey, how was your IFA interview if you don't mind updating?

I think it went ok? I feel like self-assessment is difficult unless you did an extremely good job, and I can't say if I did lol

In addition to the expected interview questions like "why our program," many were highly specific to my interests and the interview felt like a formal Q&A with some conversational stuff sprinkled in. I heard that many programs will have interviews that are much more conversational and designed to specifically gauge for personality compatibility (i.e., you're basically in and they want to make sure you're not going to be a pain to work with or teach). But this one was definitely also geared towards seeing a goodness of academic fit. My POI was there as well and asked a couple of questions, but it's now up to the selection committee to make a decision. The interview was also capped at 30 minutes, which is no time at all if you're trying to impress a selection committee AND ask your own questions.

I know the IFA is severely cutting its incoming PhD class so I fully prepped myself to be rejected and I'm just happy to have made it this far. @wookie55 did you get an interview too?

Edited by jondewitt

Has any one heard from Stony Brook PhD?

Also I was recently rejected from Temple's PhD but they offered me a fully funded masters and potentially a job at their museum.

Still waiting to hear from Columbia and CUNY so, though I'm not very hopeful. 

Just now, jondewitt said:

I think it went ok? I feel like self-assessment is difficult unless you did an extremely good job, and I can't say if I did lol

I heard that many programs will have interviews that are much more conversational and designed to specifically gauge for personality compatibility 

aha yeah fair enough.   that sounds quite stressful to be honest!   I can definitely confirm that the other type of interview exists, I had one last month at Stanford and it was not only conversational, but extremely pleasant and comfortable. I had expected something much closer to what you described.

It sounds like it went well, though, in the sense that you would probably know if it went badly. And yes, I can confirm that the IFA is panicking. I had EXTREMELY(!) positive discussions on Zoom and email with two of the senior faculty in the fall, but right after the deadline one of them emailed to say that they received a record-breaking number of applications, that he was shocked and suddenly wasn't quite so certain that I would be accepted. Sure enough, I haven't even received an interview request! I wasn't surprised exactly, because it's the IFA, but I think that that  does testify to the stakes of this CoVID admission cycle.

Hi, all! 
I'm primarily floating around in the Classics forum but I did apply to the University of Delaware Art History PhD with a focus in Antiquity to the Renaissance. I submitted it super early because I had so many other applications to complete. A bit worried my writing sample wasn't the best, but I'm just waiting to hear back from them, still. I don't expect to hear anything until mid-March so I can relate to the anxiety for waiting that long (especially when you finished the application in October!) So far, I've only heard back from one school, but for Classics, at Cornell (a rejection, unfortunately). I hope everyone gets good news soon!

3 hours ago, Kylix said:

No, I need to decide by the end of the month or the unspecified funding will be offered to another candidate. It stinks, it's wrong, but true. I questioned it and got it clearly in writing.

That's really strange and I definitely agree that it stinks. I wonder if you can press them for a decision? Seems odd they wouldn't allow you to wait for other offers, especially as early as the end of February. 

50 minutes ago, ack said:

Has any one heard from Stony Brook PhD?

Also I was recently rejected from Temple's PhD but they offered me a fully funded masters and potentially a job at their museum.

Still waiting to hear from Columbia and CUNY so, though I'm not very hopeful. 

Check your CUNY portal, I found out I got rejected because there was an update. No email received though lol.

1 minute ago, nfagunde said:

Check your CUNY portal, I found out I got rejected because there was an update. No email received though lol.

That's curious, I just checked and there wasn't an update. Still just tells me my application was submitted and is being processed. Don't know if that means anything?

Thank you for letting me know you got an update!

On 2/2/2021 at 7:58 PM, ScholarSack said:

Thanks!!

I applied to this program for the terminal MA and i'm just sitting waiting. Since the deadline was only a few days ago, though, I don't imagine interviews will happen until a few weeks from now! best of luck to us both!!

Has anyone applied to Williams College for their MA? I'm graduating from a big ten school so i imagine my chances of getting in here are probably pretty low but i'd be excited if i did. wondering if anyone else has heard of the 'williams college mafia' rep and also feeling freaked out 

3 hours ago, ack said:

That's curious, I just checked and there wasn't an update. Still just tells me my application was submitted and is being processed. Don't know if that means anything?

Thank you for letting me know you got an update!

CUNY sent out an email to waitlisted and accepted students about open day already but we haven't gotten anything in the portal yet confirming acceptance or waitlist so its possible that you were either accepted or waitlisted and they somehow messed up your email.