Fall 2021

baerga

2 hours ago, laaru said:

Hello! Many congratulations everyone!

I know maybe not a super popular program but wondering if anyone has applied and heard from University of Oregon for PhD?

I haven't heard from them either. Hope that we will know the results very soon, although I'm a bit worried by the fact that some programs at the UO have cancelled admissions recently due to lack of funding. :(

I got into the IFA PhD programme. My POI sent mail earlier this day notifying my acceptance. Soon  I received an offer letter by mail from the administration with details, especially of the fund I would receive. IFA was the only place where I applied for a PhD, and I am so happy that I got in by this first attempt. I hope everyone will hear good news soon—Goodluck to you all.

So, I just got my rejection from the IFA (a really impersonal one, given that I'd done an interview). While it obviously isnt over till it's over, everywhere that I applied has already sent out acceptances, so I'm pretty sure I'm not getting in anywhere this year. I know that this year was a really tough year and that just having gotten an interview is a sign that I'm not just shouting into the void, but this is my second year in a row getting rejected from 6+ schools, and I'm feeling super discouraged--Does anyone who's been in a similar position have any perspective to offer on regrouping?

I'm so sorry to hear that, AM20128. As a newcomer to grad cafe, I get the impression almost everyone who posts on here is targeting the best programs and the tippy top schools. The odds are just not in your favor with those places, no matter how excellently qualified you are.  That said, with the job market the way it is, I wonder if it's only worth going for a PhD in art history if you pursue it at a prestigious place? I guess you need to evaluate that and maybe shoot lower?

Edited by Kylix

Hey, long time lurker, etc. @AM20128, I’ve been in a similar situation and wanted to offer another perspective. I’ve been through three application cycles now. The first one, I landed in an MA program; the second (last year), I got five rejections and one waitlist-turned-rejection; this year I’ve gotten three offers so far, two from programs with great reputations in my sub-field and the other from a top-ten. The first thing I’d say is that if you haven’t done an MA, consider doing one. Mine helped my applications immensely. If you have already, it’s up to you whether you want to go another round, but speaking as someone who almost gave up the dream last year, I’d say keep trying. If you got an interview at the IFA, that means you were a serious contender in an incredibly competitive cycle. Just because you got rejections this time around doesn’t mean that you’ll never have a place in this field, it just means this wasn’t your year.

21 hours ago, rpgc345 said:

Any ideas on the odds of getting off of a Courtauld MA waitlist? 

I was waitlisted at the beginning of the week and then accepted into my third choice special option (New Geographies of Russian Art) the next day. This might be an anomaly but hopefully people are making their decisions quickly!!!

Hi everyone! It's great to see this community.
I got interviewed by Michigan last week. My POI emailed me soon after saying that admission decisions will be made in the near future and that they welcome any questions I might have. I replied saying thank you and that I looked forward to their decisions. Since then I have not heard back from my POI, although I did hear from other graduate students and the department at the end of the week. Should I follow up with my POI with specific questions?
It's my first time applying, so I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks and best wishes!

19 hours ago, jove1125 said:

Hi everyone! It's great to see this community.
I got interviewed by Michigan last week. My POI emailed me soon after saying that admission decisions will be made in the near future and that they welcome any questions I might have. I replied saying thank you and that I looked forward to their decisions. Since then I have not heard back from my POI, although I did hear from other graduate students and the department at the end of the week. Should I follow up with my POI with specific questions?
It's my first time applying, so I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks and best wishes!

Hey, I interviewed at Michigan last week and got my acceptance this morning! Hope it’s good news for you too! They were interviewing until Friday, so if yours was earlier in the week then it makes sense you didn’t hear back right away.

(Also I feel like people aren’t as active on their email over the weekend, or if you didn’t have anything in your last email that required responding to. So don’t be too concerned about their lack of response. The decision comes from the grad studies chair, not your POI, anyway!)

23 minutes ago, RomeSweetRome said:

Hey, I interviewed at Michigan last week and got my acceptance this morning! Hope it’s good news for you too! They were interviewing until Friday, so if yours was earlier in the week then it makes sense you didn’t hear back right away.

(Also I feel like people aren’t as active on their email over the weekend, or if you didn’t have anything in your last email that required responding to. So don’t be too concerned about their lack of response. The decision comes from the grad studies chair, not your POI, anyway!)

Congratulations!
I got mine too this morning. :))

@ghirlandaihoe HTC would be a very obscure program to troll, but I guess since it’s so competitive someone might want to push ppl to withdraw their apps - is that what you mean? (I basically don’t understand the whole idea of posting false admits.) 

I really just want to accept at my other school but feel like I should wait for these results since HTC was in my top 3. 
I have been thinking about writing to the administrator... I will let you know if I write to her and get an update.

Does anyone know if the MIT History, Theory and Criticism (HTC) has admitted anyone for SMArchs? I applied for HTC at master's level, but all I've seen are students getting accepted for PhD. 

My anxiety level has never been higher...

4 hours ago, ameliox98 said:

Does anyone know if the MIT History, Theory and Criticism (HTC) has admitted anyone for SMArchs? I applied for HTC at master's level, but all I've seen are students getting accepted for PhD. 

My anxiety level has never been higher...

I might be wrong but I think it was just the one acceptance for the PhD on the Results page, and then that person being asked for clarification.

1 hour ago, wookie55 said:

I might be wrong but I think it was just the one acceptance for the PhD on the Results page, and then that person being asked for clarification.

Ohh I see - I thought the notes looked a bit weird on the Results page. Thanks for clarifying! And good luck to your application!