Fall 2021

baerga

20 hours ago, hychoi said:

Hi, has anybody heard from Duke? or any final decisions from Columbia? (both PhDs)I know some people got interviews with Columbia... choking to death waiting for their decisions..(I know they probably will be rejections. but just want to know before I die) 

Columbia acceptances were sent out a while ago, and they waitlisted a few people. I'm waitlisted and haven't heard anything

On 3/11/2021 at 12:14 AM, hychoi said:

Hi, has anybody heard from Duke? or any final decisions from Columbia? (both PhDs)I know some people got interviews with Columbia... choking to death waiting for their decisions..(I know they probably will be rejections. but just want to know before I die) 

There were 9 Duke rejections (and no acceptances) posted on the Results board yesterday. (one was mine).

14 hours ago, artstor509 said:

I would be really hesitant in this climate to take anything without funding. Now it is possible to see if Chapel Hill will throw in something if you very craftly communicate to them that the funding vs no funding thing is what is making you hesitate. I did this when I was deciding and some programs did up thier funding packages to me. Funding is probably the second most important think to look for. The first important thing would be who your advisor is. Is there an advisor who you feel like you especially want to work with and who will advocate for you the strongest? We all know the job market sucks so having an advisor you think will help you on the job market is crucial. I hope this kind of helps! Best of luck deciding! 

Yeah that is sound advice, thanks ? I found two potential advisors at VCU, still in the process of meeting and gauging our compatibility. Sadly even after trying to negotiate, Chapel Hill made it clear MAs are just out of luck this round (COVID, budget cuts, etc.), and that funding is going more to PhDs. 

Hey! Does anyone have advice negotiating funding for an MA? Seems fairly routine for PhDs, but I'm not sure what the expectation is for MAs. Who would I even begin reaching out to? Dean of grad admissions or the department chair? Are you expected to use other offers as leverage or is that too forward? I'm not sure what the etiquette really is with these things! Any advice welcome. :) Thanks so much

54 minutes ago, Hiya said:

Me too re help negotiating and also Williams results posted on grad cafe (rejections) Are these sporadic? Any acceptances? Info please for those of us waiting. 

I just got rejected by Williams this afternoon! I'm a bit sad but wasn't really thinking of going anyway. They did not even invite me for an interview so I was expecting this. But at least so far I got into Courtauld, SOAS, and Tufts (scholarship), and am still waiting to hear back from UPenn.

Best of luck to you!

Hi, 

I am bombed with rejections from all the schools I applied. all PhDs.

I'm wondering if there is any PhD who got accepted as a foreigner studying sth other than American art.

I've heard from many profs whom I contacted that they are not accepting any PhDs for Asian art this year, so wondering (or hope) if that had to do with my grueling results. 

Thanks in advance for any responses.  I'm seriously considering to reapply for the 2022 cycle. 

On 3/12/2021 at 10:26 AM, EyLC said:

Yeah that is sound advice, thanks ? I found two potential advisors at VCU, still in the process of meeting and gauging our compatibility. Sadly even after trying to negotiate, Chapel Hill made it clear MAs are just out of luck this round (COVID, budget cuts, etc.), and that funding is going more to PhDs. 

That sucks re UNC and funding! ? I guess I would ask what makes it your first choice? The department has changed alot and the landscape seems to be placing more emphasis on your advisor than the name of your institution. I have been telling everyone I know at this point I would not accept an offer without (a) funding and (b) a very strong advisor. 

8 hours ago, artstor509 said:

That sucks re UNC and funding! ? I guess I would ask what makes it your first choice? The department has changed alot and the landscape seems to be placing more emphasis on your advisor than the name of your institution. I have been telling everyone I know at this point I would not accept an offer without (a) funding and (b) a very strong advisor. 

Combination of their faculty (one in particular I saw as a potentially strong advisor fit), university resources in southern history (plus shared resources with Duke), and the appealing location. The lack of funding is still a bummer, but I grow increasingly hopeful w/ VCU's full ride & will make my decision soon!

On 3/12/2021 at 1:44 PM, paprika21 said:

I just got rejected by Williams this afternoon! I'm a bit sad but wasn't really thinking of going anyway. They did not even invite me for an interview so I was expecting this. But at least so far I got into Courtauld, SOAS, and Tufts (scholarship), and am still waiting to hear back from UPenn.

Best of luck to you!

No word from Williams yet, but I did not have an interview. So probably just the matter of time. 

On 3/12/2021 at 11:20 AM, a-c-relly said:

Hey! Does anyone have advice negotiating funding for an MA? Seems fairly routine for PhDs, but I'm not sure what the expectation is for MAs. Who would I even begin reaching out to? Dean of grad admissions or the department chair? Are you expected to use other offers as leverage or is that too forward? I'm not sure what the etiquette really is with these things! Any advice welcome. :) Thanks so much

Everything's negotiable! (Half kidding.) It doesn't hurt to ask if you do so tactfully and offer a reason or two why you could use more aid. My own experience: I (politely) asked for more $ from the MA program that I ended up going to, explaining that I'd be leaving my job and moving to go to school, so anything more that they could offer would be most welcomed. It didn't work. BUT I suspect that my plea and doing well in my first semester swayed them to give me more aid later when more funding became available. I've read on the forums here that having another offer sometimes gives you leverage to negotiate more funding; so searching for past discussions on this topic might help you decide how to approach this. But I say go for it!

I also have not heard a peep from Williams... I'm surprised no one has posted an acceptance on the results board seeing as several people from this site are typically admitted in mid-February, but who knows - especially if they are interviewing.

I wouldn't totally give up hope if you haven't heard, in any case - they seem to keep a number of people in limbo and then send a few more acceptances right before April 15. I am pretty certain at this point I'll accept the offer I have (which is a specialized program for my subfield), but I would really like to have a full picture of all the options before I commit!

On 2/20/2021 at 1:15 AM, ack said:

Of course! I'm focusing on new technology within the terms of the history of film (mostly from the mid-80's onwards).

Your interests sound like a great fit for the program, best of luck to you!!

I saw that the philosophy department had over 130 applications this year and only 4 spots, so maybe something similar happened with art history and they need more time to sift through apps? I am considering reaching out to my POI because I have another offer. 

Hi! Have you got any decision from Stony Brook? I see there are 2 admissions on the result page. But I haven't got any feedback from the department. (I emailed them last week, and no one response)
I really need to make my decision in 2 weeks because of another offer. It is so grueling.

1 hour ago, Peter Kandinsky said:

I also have not heard a peep from Williams... I'm surprised no one has posted an acceptance on the results board seeing as several people from this site are typically admitted in mid-February, but who knows - especially if they are interviewing.

I wouldn't totally give up hope if you haven't heard, in any case - they seem to keep a number of people in limbo and then send a few more acceptances right before April 15. I am pretty certain at this point I'll accept the offer I have (which is a specialized program for my subfield), but I would really like to have a full picture of all the options before I commit!

I got an email from Williams today with an offer of acceptance to their program. I interviewed last Monday, and heard from the program admin that they would not be doing any more interviews after March 9th.

4 minutes ago, opsophagos said:

I got an email from Williams today with an offer of acceptance to their program. I interviewed last Monday, and heard from the program admin that they would not be doing any more interviews after March 9th.

Oh awesome - congratulations, and thank you for the intel!

58 minutes ago, rpgc345 said:

Has anyone heard from the HTC doctoral program at MIT?

Nope! Not a word. I've been chatting with someone else on here who also hasn't heard, but contacted the department and was told that the remaining decisions will be sent this week.

Since there was an acceptance recorded on the results page in February, it seems likely that all the messages going out this week will be rejections, but... who knows! 

Long time listener, first time caller. I was reluctant to follow this thread for fear that I might have my heart broken, but it was really beneficial in the end. I discovered the thread in early March after not hearing anything from Columbia (PhD), and it was really helpful (emotionally) to learn that some candidates had received interviews and offers by that point. 

On Monday, I was offered admission at Williams. After not getting into Columbia I was afraid perhaps I might not get in anywhere I applied this year, but I'm really thrilled and relieved. I'm still waiting to hear back about another opportunity in the fall, but either way I think I'm going to accept.

What is the standard protocol for sharing/announcing you were accepted into a program? Is it crass to post on social media about your acceptance? 

Edited by untitled_

3 hours ago, untitled_ said:

Long time listener, first time caller. I was reluctant to follow this thread for fear that I might have my heart broken, but it was really beneficial in the end. I discovered the thread in early March after not hearing anything from Columbia (PhD), and it was really helpful (emotionally) to learn that some candidates had received interviews and offers by that point. 

On Monday, I was offered admission at Williams. After not getting into Columbia I was afraid perhaps I might not get in anywhere I applied this year, but I'm really thrilled and relieved. I'm still waiting to hear back about another opportunity in the fall, but either way I think I'm going to accept.

What is the standard protocol for sharing/announcing you were accepted into a program? Is it crass to post on social media about your acceptance? 

Congratulations on Williams! It's an incredibly well-respected program that will set you up for success––however which way you define that––upon graduation.

RE protocol: I'm not sure there is one, but celebrate and publicize as you see fit. If this is a big deal to you then scream it from the rooftops and post it everywhere, if that's what you want to do! A few of my own friends have done just that, while others have only told their closest friends; it's completely a personal decision. 

Does anyone have advice on choosing between two equally great choices? I got into a fully funded masters at the University of Illinois and a 2/3rd funded Masters at American University. Both have really strong faculty in my fields of interest that I'd be so happy to work with. From what I understand it seems like American University would provide more opportunities in terms of connections with major DC area museums as well as the rest of the east coast. But it comes with student loans, and a higher cost of living. Do I have this pretty much right?