Fall 2021

baerga

15 hours ago, SavannahW said:

Does anyone have advice on choosing between two equally great choices? I got into a fully funded masters at the University of Illinois and a 2/3rd funded Masters at American University. Both have really strong faculty in my fields of interest that I'd be so happy to work with. From what I understand it seems like American University would provide more opportunities in terms of connections with major DC area museums as well as the rest of the east coast. But it comes with student loans, and a higher cost of living. Do I have this pretty much right? 

Given the current climate of the world, I would 100% choose the school with better funding. Both of those are great programs and the cost of living at UI will be much less than DC. DC is a nightmare. 

If I have not heard anything at all from Williams, no interviews at all, I guess I’m waiting for a rejection? Decided to take my MA offer from NYU if what I’m waiting is a rejection from Williams, and the price of apt in nyc is raising so fast, so I want hurry up and sign a lease before it gets absolutely too expensive to live anywhere. 

9 hours ago, aaqiqiqi said:

If I have not heard anything at all from Williams, no interviews at all, I guess I’m waiting for a rejection? Decided to take my MA offer from NYU if what I’m waiting is a rejection from Williams, and the price of apt in nyc is raising so fast, so I want hurry up and sign a lease before it gets absolutely too expensive to live anywhere. 

Williams offers rolling admission and they said there are still folks who have not received offers and others who are on the waitlist. Their admissions process ends April 15. Take the following with a grain of salt, but if you haven't had an interview it may be that you are not a finalist. This was the case with the PhD programs I applied to. The Institute of Fine Arts at NYU is a spectacular program, so you should be proud!

On 3/18/2021 at 5:59 PM, SavannahW said:

Does anyone have advice on choosing between two equally great choices? I got into a fully funded masters at the University of Illinois and a 2/3rd funded Masters at American University. Both have really strong faculty in my fields of interest that I'd be so happy to work with. From what I understand it seems like American University would provide more opportunities in terms of connections with major DC area museums as well as the rest of the east coast. But it comes with student loans, and a higher cost of living. Do I have this pretty much right? 

Wow I'm in the same boat! Except swap out University of Illinois for a different school. AU offered me partial funding and a graduate assistantship. Definitely an attractive program, so I get your dilemma. I'm also from the northern VA area outside of DC, and I can attest to how expensive housing is here (even split b/w housemates). 

Like others have said, accruing debt in the humanities is not at all ideal. Especially in today's unstable job market and struggling academia. Full funding for a MA is also a rarity, so if presented with that opportunity and at a program you equally like, Illinois seems like a great choice. I would definitely work out on paper what kind of resources are offered versus cost-of-living estimates for both programs. I'd also ask yourself what your quality of life would *potentially* look like in both cities. Especially if one requires a more demanding commute and higher living expenses

Four Factors to consider:

1) Funding: If offered full tuition remission, is it guaranteed for 2 years? Is there a stipend/assistantship attached? Does the program struggle to support its MAs?

2) Professor/faculty match: Do our research interests align? Is there a potential for a good relationship dynamic? Are there multiple faculty members you can see yourself working with *in the event one is unavailable*? Do I like the departmental culture? 

3) Can I imagine myself living there? Do I like the atmosphere of the city and what it offers? What would my life look like outside the program? Cost of living? Any resources, institutions, and opportunities in the area relevant to my goals?

Congratulations on your choices, and good luck!

8 hours ago, artsyfartsy100 said:

For those who posted Columbia MA acceptances today and last Friday, would you mind specifying if you applied to the MA in Art History or the MA in Modern Art (MODA) Program? Thanks and congrats!

Hey! I was one of those - I applied to MA in art history specializing in late 18th early 19th Europe. If you’re still waiting for a response, I assume the strike is probably delaying things a bit 

Hello everyone,

This application season has been brutal for MA and PhD candidates alike. I am presently looking at striking out this season, something I'm sure that lots of other students are looking at. I have one last program to hear back from and am really anxious that I haven't yet gotten any news.

Does anyone know what is going on with U Mass Amherst's MA admissions? Has anyone else heard back regarding their applications or have any status updates? Should I anticipate a rejection in a week or so?

Does anyone know if all acceptances to U of Toronto PhD were sent out? My application status is "Under review" (International). I emailed them more than a week ago and got no response. Feeling nervous, because I would really love to accept another offer I have and quit the game. ?

50 minutes ago, watskeburt said:

Does anyone know if all acceptances to U of Toronto PhD were sent out? My application status is "Under review" (International). I emailed them more than a week ago and got no response. Feeling nervous, because I would really love to accept another offer I have and quit the game. ?

Do you already have an MA? They emailed me earlier this month to ask if I'd considering transferring my PhD application to the MA program.

Someone wrote on the results board on the 11th: "Was told today by admin that there is a meeting tomorrow to make decisions, and all offers will be out by the end of next week."

Edited by Peter Kandinsky

17 minutes ago, Peter Kandinsky said:

Do you already have an MA? They emailed me earlier this month to ask if I'd considering transferring my PhD application to the MA program.

Someone wrote on the results board on the 11th: "Was told today by admin that there is a meeting tomorrow to make decisions, and all offers will be out by the end of next week."

Thanks for responding! I already have an MA. Then, most likely, I should expect rejection. 

1 hour ago, watskeburt said:

I was the one who posted about all decisions would be out by the 19th - obviously that didn't happen! So I emailed the director directly and was rejected. No change in my portal status though so nothing official.

She let me know all arts & science departments were given a cap on domestic entry this year (first time ever) and they only admitted 4 students. Which leads me to believe decisions were made a loooong time ago and they just haven't rejected the rest of us.

4 hours ago, rohcoco said:

I was the one who posted about all decisions would be out by the 19th - obviously that didn't happen! So I emailed the director directly and was rejected. No change in my portal status though so nothing official.

She let me know all arts & science departments were given a cap on domestic entry this year (first time ever) and they only admitted 4 students. Which leads me to believe decisions were made a loooong time ago and they just haven't rejected the rest of us.

All acceptances were sent out last week for their U of T program. They had room for 4 domestic and 4 international students

Is anyone else going crazy waiting for Williams? After I interviewed on the 7th they said I should hear back within 10 or so days. I'm afraid to email them because I don't want to get hit with a rejection letter, but the longer I wait the less hope I have. I don't think I totally fucked up my interview, but who knows at this point. 

Hello, heartfelt congrats on all the acceptances!

I was wondering if anyone heard back from Upenn. I reached out to my POI yesterday and got a reply saying that all the results due to COVID-19 will be postponed. I have grabbed a couple of offers and rejections from all programs except Upenn. Currently, I just would like to know the result of the last trial before I went ashore during this application season:)

On 4/2/2021 at 10:56 PM, Stilllife02 said:

I was wondering if anyone heard back from Upenn. I reached out to my POI yesterday and got a reply saying that all the results due to COVID-19 will be postponed. I have grabbed a couple of offers and rejections from all programs except Upenn. Currently, I just would like to know the result of the last trial before I went ashore during this application season:)

Hi, if you applied to the MA art history program you can email their admin person or give them a call! I found out via emailing their admin person Darlene Jackson. 

On 4/2/2021 at 10:56 PM, Stilllife02 said:

Hello! I checked the portal just randomly about a week ago and my rejection letter was there. Haha, I was relieved to have an answer, but kind of annoying they didn't email me saying a decision had been posted. Good luck with everything!! 

23 hours ago, paprika21 said:

Hi, if you applied to the MA art history program you can email their admin person or give them a call! I found out via emailing their admin person Darlene Jackson. 

Thank you for your responding! I finally received a reply from Ms. Jackson a moment ago, it seems like my rejection was sent in mid-March. Super weird! I have been not receiving anything about decision.

Edited by Stilllife02

3 hours ago, a-c-relly said:

Hello! I checked the portal just randomly about a week ago and my rejection letter was there. Haha, I was relieved to have an answer, but kind of annoying they didn't email me saying a decision had been posted. Good luck with everything!! 

Hey there! I heard from the department a minute ago noticing that I was rejected. The four months of waiting basically mean that the possibility is extinguished. Anyway, I am glad to make my final decision right away. Wishing you all the best!

I’ve gotten a few different DMs about this, so I just thought I’d post a general update: I just officially declined offers at Columbia and Princeton. I don’t know who the spots might go to (or if they’re even on this forum), but I wish everyone the best of luck.