Fall 2021

baerga

4 minutes ago, szn82 said:

Yeah, they already made their first round of admissions. But I was told that this year they admitted half domestic and half international students, so not being Canadian shouldn't be an issue. 

Ahhh gotcha makes sense. Thanks for letting me know, that really helps. I wish schools were faster in following up then, it’s frustrating to be held in rejection limbo for weeks on end ??. Welp as soon as they and CU send my formal rejects I’m out for this round! I’m with @ClassicsCandidate, feeling very discouraged all around this year.

On 2/9/2021 at 1:03 PM, SavannahW said:

Hey all! I submitted applications to the PHD programs at USC, UCSB, UCLA, and Michigan, and the MA programs at American University, and Illinois. Also applied to the curatorial studies MFA at the University of Kentucky, where I got my bachelors. Wondering if anyone has applied to these programs and has hear anything back from them. So far I have only heard from American University, and got in, but haven't been informed about the funding package yet. I've seen on here that some people have heard from Michigan and USC, can anyone confirm that? Thanks and good luck to everyone ❤️

Hi SavannahW,

Among the programs you applied, I only applied to Illinois' MA program. Mid-Feb was when I heard back from the professor whose interests match mine, and got the offer a few days later. It is a full funding package (with TA included). I'm uncertain if I'm going since I just heard back from UVA that offers the same amount of scholarship. UVA also has TA positions available, but not mandatory. The full funding is a little appealing, so really hesitant. Also, I'm still waiting for several other programs. 

Hope you have heard back from more schools by now. Best of Luck!

On 2/25/2021 at 4:26 PM, tulips23 said:

Waitlisted at Princeton! Wonder if anyone has insight onto the odds of getting off it?

Congratulations! Same here. I wonder about the odds of getting off it, too! Have you been accepted to other programs?

8 hours ago, peploskore said:

Welp as soon as they and CU send my formal rejects I’m out for this round! I’m with @ClassicsCandidate, feeling very discouraged all around this year.

I kind of have back up plans / action plans in case of an All-Rejection pile, and I feel like I'm kind of mentally prepared for it but it's still an ick feeling.

5 hours ago, ClassicsCandidate said:

I kind of have back up plans / action plans in case of an All-Rejection pile, and I feel like I'm kind of mentally prepared for it but it's still an ick feeling.

Every time I think I've accepted it and start think about having to move on or create a concrete back up plan I end up feeling so ick about everything! I think all-rejections is hard to stomach during a normal application season, and feels almost impossible this year because there isn't that much to distract me or to look forward to. Trying to hold on to the possibility of doing another MA (funded this time around) or maybe finding a relevant job...or maybe just applying again next year. No matter what, this has been such a stressful time for everyone! 

I’m curious to know what proportion of people here hold an MA. I do not have an MA — I was admitted to 1/5 programs so far. 
If anyone else feels like sharing, might be interesting to know? 

14 hours ago, mehz said:

Does Williams usually do interviews? I wasn't aware, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything lol

I don't think they typically do - but Columbia also doesn't typically and they did this year, so who knows. The application was free (I don't know if it usually is) but it seems plausible they got a huge number of applications. They also don't require applicants to send FAFSA until March 1 so perhaps they are still working on financial aid packages before notifying applicants. 

@wookie55 I don't have an MA, either! I think probably all my PhD applications will be rejections (heard from 2, and the other 4 have sent acceptances per the results page). In any case, I am super excited about a generously funded MA offer that I plan to accept. I have a BA from a top program where many graduates go directly into top PhD programs, but I do not yet have language skills in my area of interest, unfortunately, which I sensed was a major concern for the faculty I met. 

2 hours ago, wookie55 said:

I’m curious to know what proportion of people here hold an MA. I do not have an MA — I was admitted to 1/5 programs so far. 

Long time lurker here, but no MA and a BA from an Ivy, if that matters. Applying to art history PhDs; so far I have one rejection, one waitlist, and three acceptances. Four pending decisions (expected rejections), too.

3 hours ago, wookie55 said:

Got my MA but only because I got into art history late in the game (i.e., I didn't take my first art history class until my third year of college) and felt that I needed extra time to beef up my foundational knowledge + research skills. Getting my MA and doing my MA thesis really helped me get a good idea of what my interests were and what sort of research I wanted to do.

Edited by jondewitt

On 3/2/2021 at 10:00 AM, kkotsool said:

Did anyone get an interview for Williams? If so, when?

Yeah I did, set up for this Friday. Definitely was not expecting it 

1 hour ago, 4p98yu said:

Long time lurker here, but no MA and a BA from an Ivy, if that matters. Applying to art history PhDs; so far I have one rejection, one waitlist, and three acceptances. Four pending decisions (expected rejections), too.

Wow that’s awesome, congrats! Three acceptances seems quite rare.

8 hours ago, wookie55 said:

I have an MFA – I only applied to one PhD program at the same school as my MFA.

Hi all! I'm a prospective MA candidate and new to this thread. Could anyone give insight into negotiating offers from schools? What's considered a generous offer...? Most of the programs I'm looking at are in 30-50k+range. 

Acceptances so far:

• UNC-Chapel Hill (first choice, no word on funding yet)
  • AU (neck in neck w/ UNC, they offered me $25k total in merit award w/ a grad assistantship and tuition remission) 
  • Tufts (Art History/Museum Studies; half tuition scholarship)
  • GWU (no word on funding yet)
  • Waiting on UT Austin & VCU now. 

10 minutes ago, EyLC said:

Hi all! I'm a prospective MA candidate and new to this thread. Could anyone give insight into negotiating offers from schools? What's considered a generous offer...? Most of the programs I'm looking at are in 30-50k+range. 

Acceptances so far:

• AU (neck in neck w/ UNC, they offered me $25k total in merit award w/ a grad assistantship and tuition remission) 

Hey! I am for sure no expert lol but seem to have a similar decision to make. From what I am gathering fully funded MAs are pretty uncommon, and given that the museum field is fairly low-ceiling in terms of pay I will probably be taking my offer at American! (Also received that offer.) For GWU - I also got in, but it specifically said in the letter "I regret we we cannot offer you a fellowship package for this year." So if your letter omitted that sentence there's a chance it's coming! Fingers crossed! I also don't think I got into Tufts (haven't heard back ? ), but I know they "waive" the second year of tuition for everyone. So if you got half off that, it'll be like three quarter's-off! So cool. Congrats!! :) 

Edited by a-c-relly

12 minutes ago, a-c-relly said:

Hey! I am for sure no expert lol but seem to have a similar decision to make. From what I am gathering fully funded MAs are pretty uncommon, and given that the museum field is fairly low-ceiling in terms of pay I will probably be taking my offer at American! (Also received that offer.) For GWU - I also got in, but it specifically said in the letter "I regret we we cannot offer you a fellowship package for this year." So if your letter omitted that sentence there's a chance it's coming! Fingers crossed! I also don't think I got into Tufts (haven't heard back ? ), but I know they "waive" the second year of tuition for everyone. So if you got half off that, it'll be like three quarter's-off! So cool. Congrats!! :) 

Yeah, sadly the funding pool shrunk even more with COVID. Congrats on the AU offer! & in my excitement I didn't read the GWU letter carefully LOL. I re-read it & GWU is offering me a merit award (more info will come later). So thank you for inadvertently reminding me, and good luck to you! ?

5 minutes ago, EyLC said:

Yeah, sadly the funding pool shrunk even more with COVID. Congrats on the AU offer! & in my excitement I didn't read the GWU letter carefully LOL. I re-read it & GWU is offering me a merit award (more info will come later). So thank you for inadvertently reminding me, and good luck to you! ?

Omg - Woohoo! Thanks, same to you!

1 hour ago, EyLC said:

Acceptances so far:

As a graduate of the AU MA program, I'll say that just in terms of the quality of education and training you'll get, AU is by far the better choice compared to GWU. Of course, you should make your decisions based on your own interests and how well the faculty align with them, as well as on financial and other important factors, but I personally got a lot out of AU and I know that I wouldn't have received the same amount of mentorship, nor would I have experienced the same amount of intellectual rigor had I gone to GWU.

Edit: I know this is the second post I've made in this thread about how great my time at AU was, so I want to make it clear that my enthusiasm for the program is purely a result of my experiences there as a student! I'm not necessarily trying to sway people to attend the program there, but I know that, especially as a recent graduate, my thoughts and opinions and stories can be useful in helping people  decide where they spend the next 2-3 years of their lives.

Edited by jondewitt