Fall 2021

baerga

10 hours ago, Peter Kandinsky said:

I've been lurking for a while, but decided to go ahead and post...

Has anyone heard from either Syracuse or Williams? Definitely looking pretty grim for me in terms of PhD applications, but I'm still hoping an MA might come through!

Williams does not say anything specific, "not later than April 15"

On 2/13/2021 at 10:15 AM, lapomegranate said:

Thanks! It is my understanding that their funding is virtually non-existent and that is why I am wondering how much their merit awards might be, although I suspect they won't cover tuition entirely. Congrats to you too! Do you know at all whether they have notified everyone of admission or still working on applications? I have a friend who applied and she has not heard anything yet about admission or rejection. My specialization is modern European. What is yours?

Hey! I was just notified of funding at American! Specialization is in American photography. I've definitely appreciated their fast turn-arounds. :)

4 minutes ago, a-c-relly said:

Hey! I was just notified of funding at American! Specialization is in American photography. I've definitely appreciated their fast turn-arounds. :)

Hey! I also heard from them just now. I am so happy I got some kind of funding, I imagine you are too! ?

On 2/13/2021 at 9:15 AM, lapomegranate said:

Thanks! It is my understanding that their funding is virtually non-existent and that is why I am wondering how much their merit awards might be, although I suspect they won't cover tuition entirely. Congrats to you too! Do you know at all whether they have notified everyone of admission or still working on applications? I have a friend who applied and she has not heard anything yet about admission or rejection. My specialization is modern European. What is yours?

My research has been in contemporary art with a focus on gender studies and critical theory! And I just heard back from American, I got a merit award, but it only covers half of tuition plus a stipend, which I don't understand 

4 minutes ago, SavannahW said:

My research has been in contemporary art with a focus on gender studies and critical theory! And I just heard back from American, I got a merit award, but it only covers half of tuition plus a stipend, which I don't understand 

Congrats on your award! I don't think they offer full tuition remission at all and I think we are very lucky to have been given 50% of the tuition. From what I have heard only a handful of students receive some sort of partial funding. The stipend is contingent on assistanceship (work at the department) work, I believe 5 hours per week. 

9 hours ago, lapomegranate said:

Congrats on your award! I don't think they offer full tuition remission at all and I think we are very lucky to have been given 50% of the tuition. From what I have heard only a handful of students receive some sort of partial funding. The stipend is contingent on assistanceship (work at the department) work, I believe 5 hours per week. 

Hello--AU alum here, I got my MA in May 2020. I'm not sure if this is helpful, but I received partial tuition remission and a "fellowship," which is basically a stipend contingent on assistantship. I served as a TA and RA during my 2 years, but some students also work at the Visual Resources Center and there are usually two students (a first year + second year) who work on social media (i.e. twitter, IG, and the art history blog). Hope this helps, and congratulations! AU is a phenomenal program, especially for those interested in critical approaches. I had an incredible time and I wouldn't have done my MA anywhere else ?

Edit: to clarify, many (most?) graduate programs in art history have had to adapt to the challenges of the pandemic, including reducing funding, reducing incoming classes, and not taking new students altogether. Funding has been hit especially hard (it doesn't help that AU is a smaller university) so it is entirely possible that incoming students will not receive as generous financial packages as they would have otherwise.

Edited by jondewitt

13 hours ago, jondewitt said:

Hello--AU alum here, I got my MA in May 2020. I'm not sure if this is helpful, but I received partial tuition remission and a "fellowship," which is basically a stipend contingent on assistantship. I served as a TA and RA during my 2 years, but some students also work at the Visual Resources Center and there are usually two students (a first year + second year) who work on social media (i.e. twitter, IG, and the art history blog). Hope this helps, and congratulations! AU is a phenomenal program, especially for those interested in critical approaches. I had an incredible time and I wouldn't have done my MA anywhere else ?

Edit: to clarify, many (most?) graduate programs in art history have had to adapt to the challenges of the pandemic, including reducing funding, reducing incoming classes, and not taking new students altogether. Funding has been hit especially hard (it doesn't help that AU is a smaller university) so it is entirely possible that incoming students will not receive as generous financial packages as they would have otherwise.

Thank you @jondewitt! Your insight is definitely helpful! I thought you had said full tuition remission when I read your post, but thenI I see it is partial. Do you know if full tuition remission is every granted? I am also so glad to hear it is a good program. May I ask what your area of study was/is and what is it you are doing now that you have finished? Thanks so much! 

2 minutes ago, lapomegranate said:

Thank you @jondewitt! Your insight is definitely helpful! I thought you had said full tuition remission when I read your post, but thenI I see it is partial. Do you know if full tuition remission is every granted? I am also so glad to hear it is a good program. May I ask what your area of study was/is and what is it you are doing now that you have finished? Thanks so much! 

No worries! I can't remember, but I believe I had 2/3rds tuition remission. I don't think full tuition remission is ever granted, at least not that I know of. I studied nineteenth-century French painting and sculpture with Dr. Juliet Bellow and I've been working during my year off (office job, marginally related to art). I've been applying to PhD programs and I'm presenting my research at a couple of conferences (having them on my CV certainly helped with my admissions).

1 minute ago, jondewitt said:

No worries! I can't remember, but I believe I had 2/3rds tuition remission. I don't think full tuition remission is ever granted, at least not that I know of. I studied nineteenth-century French painting and sculpture with Dr. Juliet Bellow and I've been working during my year off (office job, marginally related to art). I've been applying to PhD programs and I'm presenting my research at a couple of conferences (having them on my CV certainly helped with my admissions).

Thank you again, @jondewitt. Do you mind sharing your experience with Dr. Bellow? And I wish you the best on your PhD!

Just now, lapomegranate said:

Thank you again, @jondewitt. Do you mind sharing your experience with Dr. Bellow? And I wish you the best on your PhD!

I had a really good experience! From my experience, she had high expectations and pushed me to do my best work, but she's also very kind and supportive. I was able to develop a very positive and productive relationship with her. Professors at AU somehow manage to juggle teaching classes, administrative work, research, and advising extremely well, so you'll get a lot of guidance from your advisor. I spoke with her basically every week at her office hours and had a lot of face-time with her, which I understand is something that you don't get in most other graduate programs.

On 2/15/2021 at 3:54 PM, Peter Kandinsky said:

I've been lurking for a while, but decided to go ahead and post...

Has anyone heard from either Syracuse or Williams? Definitely looking pretty grim for me in terms of PhD applications, but I'm still hoping an MA might come through!

I also applied to Williams and haven't heard anything. Best of luck to both of us!! This radio silence is killing me

34 minutes ago, jondewitt said:

I had a really good experience! From my experience, she had high expectations and pushed me to do my best work, but she's also very kind and supportive. I was able to develop a very positive and productive relationship with her. Professors at AU somehow manage to juggle teaching classes, administrative work, research, and advising extremely well, so you'll get a lot of guidance from your advisor. I spoke with her basically every week at her office hours and had a lot of face-time with her, which I understand is something that you don't get in most other graduate programs.

That is what I'ver heard and that is why I ask, it is important to me to have some level of involvement from the advisor. Thank you for sharing this!

For those with a MA and applying to a Phd, how much time do you think you have saved by entering Phd with a MA versus those with a BA? I know it varies by program and that is why I ask. The PhD I am considering only credits a semester to those entering with a MA, so it is definitely better to go straight with an BA into this one in particular. I am curious whether other programs give more credit toward the PhD. Thanks!

I did get a Columbia admit earlier today. It was informal via email (recommendation for admission by the department). I was told the official letter will follow in a few days, but they are not sure of the exact timeframe. 

Edited by ebp

Just now, szn82 said:

same! I had an interview too and they told me they'd let everyone know this week.....

!!!!
I'm honestly DYING over here. 

I even sent a thank-you note at midnight last night lol, to the 3 faculty who interviewed me. I didn't even think of sending a note until last night! (Interview was last Thursday). 

It may have come across as a bit desperate and angsty.... Do you think? I googled it a lot late in the night, and the overall concensus seemed to be that in the U.S., it's better to send a thank-you note late than not at all... But of course I'm worrying that I botched the whole thing with my awkward note...

2 minutes ago, ebp said:

I wish you both the best of luck! It's defintiely not over until it's over. 

@ebp wait but did you get an acceptance?

Oops, sorry, just saw your other message: congrats!

Edited by wookie55
mistake

Thank you!

Anecdotal, but I definitely freaked out about an informal acceptance the day before my Harvard admit, so my (hypocritical) advice is to take deep breaths. You're obviously emminently qualified after making it to interviews! 

Edited by ebp

5 minutes ago, lingc35 said:

Hi, yes I was also admitted. The Director of Grad Studies requested to speak with me tonight to give me more info which I thought was intense 

oh wow that is intense! probably a good thing, though: more information is definitely better than less!

congrats! hope to get the same email today or tomorrow!!!

Edited by wookie55