Fall 2021

baerga

2 minutes ago, peploskore said:

Beyond acceptances for Columbia (congrats!) has anyone received a rejection or waitlist at this point? The board shows they usually send the rejections quite late in March...closure would be nice! 

yes! I actually got a rejection (not a waitlist), after a very positive interview. I'm not sure what happened with that! it was one of my top choices (and the interview went really well), so was tough that they specifically sent only  me a rejection lol.

EDIT: They definitely already interviewed everybody they were going to interview, and they don't do interviews, so if you didn't get an interview then that would without a doubt be closure!

Edited by wookie55

5 minutes ago, wookie55 said:

yes! I actually got a rejection (not a waitlist), after a very positive interview. I'm not sure what happened with that! it was one of my top choices (and the interview went really well), so was tough that they specifically sent only  me a rejection lol.

Oh wow, I'm so sorry! That's so bizarre...I bet they are waiting to send the mass rejections to the rest of us until later. I'm surprised they rejected people who interviewed, I would have thought they picked the waitlist from there! That's really rough. 

I'm disappointed, but I think deep down I know that I'd be a better fit in another Columbia program not taking students this year. Still, a hard pill to swallow regardless! 

EDIT: Saw your edit just now! Good to know I can lay it to rest. I still want the official rejection so I can move on with my day to day life but that helps quite a bit. 

Edited by peploskore

32 minutes ago, peploskore said:

Oh wow, I'm so sorry! That's so bizarre...I bet they are waiting to send the mass rejections to the rest of us until later. I'm surprised they rejected people who interviewed, I would have thought they picked the waitlist from there! That's really rough. 

I'm disappointed, but I think deep down I know that I'd be a better fit in another Columbia program not taking students this year. Still, a hard pill to swallow regardless! 

EDIT: Saw your edit just now! Good to know I can lay it to rest. I still want the official rejection so I can move on with my day to day life but that helps quite a bit. 

yeah I would have thought they would pick the waitlist too. Not sure what happened there. the only thing I can think of is that I told a few close colleagues of my POI that I was planning to accept at another program, and it's a small community and people talk so ... ? It's a comforting thought at least.

I actually had already decided against Columbia but I wanted to have the satisfaction of declining the offer lol.

39 minutes ago, peploskore said:

I'm with you! Total radio silence. Are you referring to the PhD or MA? It seems the Masters students generally don't hear until second week of March regardless of decision. Irritating they don't tell the PhD folks as soon as possible though. ?

36 minutes ago, wookie55 said:

yeah I would have thought they would pick the waitlist too. Not sure what happened there. the only thing I can think of is that I told a few close colleagues of my POI that I was planning to accept at another program, and it's a small community and people talk so ... ? It's a comforting thought at least.

I actually had already decided against Columbia but I wanted to have the satisfaction of declining the offer lol.

Agreed, it is very strange! That could be it? If your interview was good I doubt there would be any other reason. What I've learned this year is that AdComs work in incomprehensible ways...particularly with COVID. I've also been generally wondering what specializations Columbia admitted this year because if they only took 5 they are excluding so many different areas and time periods! 

LOVE the concept of declining Columbia. I did two years ago for one of their MA programs and it felt great. 

34 minutes ago, a-c-relly said:

I'm with you! Total radio silence. Are you referring to the PhD or MA? It seems the Masters students generally don't hear until second week of March regardless of decision. Irritating they don't tell the PhD folks as soon as possible though. ?

PhD this time! I applied to two other MAs (in Classics) and am only waiting on Columbia and Toronto Art History for PhDs. This seems to confirm that they've both sent acceptances/rejections are on the way so I'm going to start crossing my finger for the MAs and MA funding! Best of luck, I'm hoping you hear good news! 

Is it normal for a school to wait until after Open Day to tell you if you've been accepted or waitlisted? I did an interview and thought it went well. According to the board on this website, they already sent out acceptances to all the spots they had for this year (which I didn't get), but when I emailed asking for an update since they invited me for Open Day, they said the held back some spots to make decisions after Open Day.

Just now, szn82 said:

Is it normal for a school to wait until after Open Day to tell you if you've been accepted or waitlisted? I did an interview and thought it went well. According to the board on this website, they already sent out acceptances to all the spots they had for this year (which I didn't get), but when I emailed asking for an update since they invited me for Open Day, they said the held back some spots to make decisions after Open Day.

I am not really sure how Open Day works, but that sounds unusual to me. Definitely not everyone who goes to an Open Day will accept their offer (some people will go to several) so maybe they are thinking some people (like you) should come to Open Day that might accept one of the spots that opens up from people declining? I think that might be what they mean by holding back some spots, but I don’t know, just speculating ?‍♂️ I guess they could also be treating it like a group interview? I would maybe ask the administrator or the DGS for clarification on what they meant by that!

1 minute ago, wookie55 said:

I am not really sure how Open Day works, but that sounds unusual to me. Definitely not everyone who goes to an Open Day will accept their offer (some people will go to several) so maybe they are thinking some people (like you) should come to Open Day that might accept one of the spots that opens up from people declining? I think that might be what they mean by holding back some spots, but I don’t know, just speculating ?‍♂️ I guess they could also be treating it like a group interview? I would maybe ask the administrator or the DGS for clarification on what they meant by that!

Super weird, right! I think they're trying to not tell me I was waitlisted?

43 minutes ago, peploskore said:

Agreed, it is very strange! That could be it? If your interview was good I doubt there would be any other reason. What I've learned this year is that AdComs work in incomprehensible ways...particularly with COVID. I've also been generally wondering what specializations Columbia admitted this year because if they only took 5 they are excluding so many different areas and time periods! 

LOVE the concept of declining Columbia. I did two years ago for one of their MA programs and it felt great. 

PhD this time! I applied to two other MAs (in Classics) and am only waiting on Columbia and Toronto Art History for PhDs. This seems to confirm that they've both sent acceptances/rejections are on the way so I'm going to start crossing my finger for the MAs and MA funding! Best of luck, I'm hoping you hear good news! 

I also applied to Columbia and Toronto. Who did you want to work with at U of T?

Just now, szn82 said:

Super weird, right! I think they're trying to not tell me I was waitlisted?

Yeah it seems super weird to me absolutely! I think maybe you’re like slightly above the wait list, if that makes any sense? 

Just now, wookie55 said:

Yeah it seems super weird to me absolutely! I think maybe you’re like slightly above the wait list, if that makes any sense? 

No, it doesn't haha. But I see at what you're getting at

Just now, szn82 said:

No, it doesn't haha. But I see at what you're getting at

Lmao yeah. I would ask for clarification, esp if an administrator is nice they might help you out. If you’re going to be assessed at the open day, then you should know that, because it’s quite different than attending with the intention of just getting a sense of the program. 

2 hours ago, wookie55 said:

EDIT: They definitely already interviewed everybody they were going to interview, and they don't do interviews, so if you didn't get an interview then that would without a doubt be closure!

When did you receive the rejection? Also what is your field of specialization?

Just now, istoria7 said:

When did you receive the rejection? Also what is your field of specialization?

Lol chill buddy. It was the Friday before last. And I am doing architectural history. Almost definitely I was the only person interviewed for that sub-field.

20 minutes ago, szn82 said:

Hi, I am in the same exact situation! Did an interview, but haven't gotten an offer while the results page shows people receiving acceptances the day after their respective interviews. So I presume I'm waitlisted by default.

But we received an email with information about Open Day before the interview round started and they said that those who end up on the waitlist would have an increased chance of admission if they attended the Open Day because it shows their interest in joining the program. So, I'm under the impression that it's for both those who were offered and those who were waitlisted. Maybe that's what your Open Day is all about, too?

52 minutes ago, sonsoles said:

Hi, I am in the same exact situation! Did an interview, but haven't gotten an offer while the results page shows people receiving acceptances the day after their respective interviews. So I presume I'm waitlisted by default.

But we received an email with information about Open Day before the interview round started and they said that those who end up on the waitlist would have an increased chance of admission if they attended the Open Day because it shows their interest in joining the program. So, I'm under the impression that it's for both those who were offered and those who were waitlisted. Maybe that's what your Open Day is all about, too?

Yeah, I think we're both talking about CUNY? Weird eh. It sounds like nobody has been officially waitlisted there?

Edited by szn82

1 minute ago, szn82 said:

Yeah, I think we're both talking about CUNY? Weird eh. It sounds like nobody has been officially waitlisted there?

Yes, CUNY! I think you are right, it looks like nobody has been officially waitlisted after the interviews. It seems like all of us who were invited to do an interview and also to attend the Open Day events are considered potential students and the interviews and the Open Day will help decide who will get the offers and that once they fill the incoming class, they will reject everyone else. I spoke with some friends who are university professors and they all said it was strange that CUNY made some offers before the Open Day. 

But if they held back some spots, does that mean there were some offers that were declined? Because the results page shows that three people received offers and there are only four spots. Hmm... ?

What's your specialization? And which other programs have you applied to?

So I'm just waiting to hear from the University of Delaware now for art history and I saw on the results that some folks got a phone call so I'm worried about that because I'm teaching during the day so I can't answer my phone until after four. If anyone has heard from them, can you let me know how that phone call was (and/or what time of day they called if you're willing to let me know that!) I'm nervous because UDel is the only place I applied to for Art History (Antiquity to Renaissance) whereas my other programs were Ancient World/Classics-focused, and I have all rejections so far. I'm getting pretty discouraged!

6 hours ago, peploskore said:

Amazing! Have you heard anything from U of T either? It's been complete radio silence for me since I talked to my POIs in the fall. I'm not a Canadian student so I think that could pose a problem with admissions/funding!

Yeah, they already made their first round of admissions. But I was told that this year they admitted half domestic and half international students, so not being Canadian shouldn't be an issue.