Fall 2021

baerga

I noticed that there still isn't a thread for Fall 2021 applicants, so I figured I would go ahead and create one. Having submitted my final application earlier this week (to Columbia, one of five in total), I'm interested to hear about everyone's experiences in the current environment, in addition to helpful advice from current grad students. Best of luck to everyone!

Field: Early Modern (Southern Europe)

I'm a longtime lurker, but I thought I'd post for once because I also applied to Columbia (Modern/Africana) as one of five programs. It has been rather stressful--my list was definitely narrowed by the suspended programs, and I am not sure how to gauge admissions in this environment. Best of luck to you, as well! 

I have selected 10 programmes and have already submitted 6 applications. The problem in my subfield is not only COVID but that lots of great professors have retired this year or are going to retire very soon. A good thing is that all schools have waived GRE this year (or made it optional). It is a big relief. I have been studying for it for a while but was happy to drop it once it was clear that they don't need it any longer.

Hi! I'm applying to 9 schools - it would have been a few more if not for Covid. This is my 3rd time applying to PhDs (the first time I landed in a Master's program), so I'm definitely nervous. At this point I'll be happy to get in anywhere, but I'm not getting my hopes up, given what a mess this year has been! Good luck to you all!

Edited by RomeSweetRome

• 2 weeks later...

I've applied for 5 schools.

Columbia MA

Bard Graduate Centre MA

The New School Fashion Studies MA

NYU Costume Studies MA

Courtauld History of Dress MA

Pretty nervous as they're all competitive programs. Best of luck to everyone! 

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, lingc35 said:

Just got an email about an interview with Columbia about an hour ago. Haven't heard from other programs yet. 

Congrats to you, that's great news! Best of luck in the interview. Do you mind sharing what period of art history/subfield you are interested in? 

Just now, peploskore said:

Congrats to you, that's great news! Best of luck in the interview. Do you mind sharing what period of art history/subfield you are interested in? 

I think I put contemporary though my project is also beyond that. But I'm primarily working in photography, film, video, and new media so that gives you an idea. 

The email was a little strange though so I'm not sure if it's indicative of how other POI's are doing it. I've heard Columbia never did interviews in the past so it might just be this person in particular wanting to do an interview...not sure. 

1 minute ago, lingc35 said:

I think I put contemporary though my project is also beyond that. But I'm primarily working in photography, film, video, and new media so that gives you an idea. 

The email was a little strange though so I'm not sure if it's indicative of how other POI's are doing it. I've heard Columbia never did interviews in the past so it might just be this person in particular wanting to do an interview...not sure. 

Oh that sounds really cool! Thanks for sharing, hopefully it all works out. 

I also haven't heard anything about Columbia doing interviews so I find that strange...I've been wondering if COVID has changed the application process in any way, or professors are more open to digital interviews/chats. Either way, it's probably a good sign to hear from them at all! 

4 hours ago, lingc35 said:

Congrats on your interview! Did you apply to Columbia's PhD or MA program?

Hi all, I received an invitation to the Michigan prospective weekend in mid February. Any idea how many people attend versus how many are actually admitted? Don't want to get my hopes up!

Also, for the Columbia interviewee -- what's your field? Good luck!

Edited by rpgc345

22 minutes ago, rpgc345 said:

Hi all, I received an invitation to the Michigan prospective weekend in mid February. Any idea how many people attend versus how many are actually admitted? Don't want to get my hopes up!

modern and contemporary, film/media/photography ! 

On 1/22/2021 at 7:18 PM, rpgc345 said:

Congrats! Was it a personal email? 

Hi all! I applied to 11 schools (PhD, African American Art History/African Diaspora) and have only received one email from one school which was Washington University in St. Louis telling me I was eligible to apply for two different fellowships they offer. I sent in those applications and am hoping it means I might have a chance, but it’s very nerve-wrecking!

Sending best wishes to you all!

10 hours ago, rpgc345 said:

It was somewhat personalized! A letter addressed to me from grad studies professor with general information about the interview weekend dates.

Congrats! I didn't know Columbia does interview weekend. Would you mind sharing your interview experience when/if it's done? Thanks :)   

On 1/24/2021 at 9:53 PM, Ironing_maiden said:

Hi all! I applied to 11 schools (PhD, African American Art History/African Diaspora) and have only received one email from one school which was Washington University in St. Louis telling me I was eligible to apply for two different fellowships they offer. I sent in those applications and am hoping it means I might have a chance, but it’s very nerve-wrecking!

Sending best wishes to you all!

Hi all, phd applicant here.

@Ironing_maiden: I received an acceptance from WashU St. Louis! Super excited, especially since this was a particularly grueling year for art history applications. Hope you got good news from them too.

I also got an interview request from the IFA, but I'm not sure if they give interviews to all applicants or if I got very lucky. Best of luck to you all. Fingers crossed!

Hi everyone, it's so good to see an Art History thread!

Congrats on your WashU acceptance!

I wonder if anyone who applied for the 2021 Art History Ph.D. program at Princeton or Harvard receives an interview request yet? If so, would you mind sharing your interview questions and the experience? Does the department actually conduct interviews? Is it possible that you will receive an acceptance letter without an interview? When will they send out the rejection or acceptance letters? 

Many thanks!