Consider Texas Tech for a funded MA in philosophy!

AKFlowerree

If you are looking at terminal MA programs, I encourage you to take a look at Texas Tech University!

I'm an Assistant Professor at Texas Tech University in Lubbock, TX. At TTU we have a funded, ranked MA program (check it out here), with decent placement (here). We try to make sure we fund all our grad students. The stipend is modest ($13,000), but the cost of living in west Texas is very low.

I myself attended a terminal MA program (forever loyal to University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee!), and I can speak to the many benefits of a two year MA before going on for a PhD. You have time to develop a polished writing sample, delve deeply into topics, gain a broader understanding of philosophy, learn to articulate your research interests, and discover whether you're ready to be poor for philosophy. The faculty here are dedicated to seeing our MA students succeed. 

We begin reviewing applications on Feb 15, but will consider all applications until we've filled our class. If you have any questions about the program, life in west Texas, or practical reasons for belief, feel free to contact me, Amy.Flowerree@ttu.edu.

Don't worry, I'm not reading the posts on other threads. This can still be a safe place to vent (venting is an important part of a regrettably agonizing process). Be well, y'all, and be kind to yourselves.

Amy Flowerree

https://sites.google.com/view/flowerree

Edited by AKFlowerree

As someone who may or may not be a current or former student of Amy...I can attest that this program is fantastic, the funding goes a long way in west Texas, and Amy is one of the most talented, intelligent, and kind professors that I have ever had. The rest of the faculty is also first-rate, and they have recently placed three people at Rutgers (I promise, go look at the current Rutgers grad students!) Last year, students also got offers from USC, UNC, UT, Ohio State, Northwestern, USCB, and more. Additionally, they consistently place people at top 30 schools. One thing to consider when looking at the placement record is that many students don't apply out because they have no interest in going further (because they go into law, another discipline, or only desire to teach at a community college.) The students that DO pursue PhD programs generally fare very well.

14 hours ago, musicdegree4me said:

Side note - I have briefly interacted with Amy Floweree and she is lovely. Also did me a solid one time. Anyone would be lucky to learn under her at TT. 

dawwww. Thanks musicdegree4me! Good luck with your future endeavors.

8 hours ago, Jewggernaut said:

On the main Texas Tech website it says that that funding is no longer considered after the 15th of January. Is the Philosophy program different then, concerning the funding schedules?

I wouldn't pay too much attention to this. Get your FAFSA in ASAP and as long as you apply before the APPLICATION deadline, you will almost surely be funded if you are admitted. 

15 hours ago, Estudiante Graduado said:

I wouldn't pay too much attention to this. Get your FAFSA in ASAP and as long as you apply before the APPLICATION deadline, you will almost surely be funded if you are admitted. 

I'm a bit unsure about how funding works in general do all programs require you to fill out a FAFSA or only some?

I was a little confused about the FAFSA mention, as well. I didn't have to do that previously. I'm not sure the circumstances when you'd need to fill one out for grad school if you're receiving a stipend. 

On 1/30/2020 at 10:37 AM, Jewggernaut said:

On the main Texas Tech website it says that that funding is no longer considered after the 15th of January. Is the Philosophy program different then, concerning the funding schedules?

I'm not sure why it says this. It could have to do with university-wide fellowships. But funding decisions are made when admissions decisions are made, which is not before the deadline.

On 1/30/2020 at 7:10 PM, Estudiante Graduado said:

From what I understand, almost no american grad program in philosophy has you fill out ans FAFSA paperwork. The funding is automatic with admission. I can't imagine Texas Tech is different.

On 2/9/2020 at 7:48 PM, Moose#@1%$ said:

From what I understand, almost no american grad program in philosophy has you fill out ans FAFSA paperwork. The funding is automatic with admission. I can't imagine Texas Tech is different.

Correct. But the FAFSA is important for additional funding opportunities at Texas Tech, such as work-study, university-wide fellowships, etc.

I would fill out the FAFSA if you're planning to attend any university in the US. (I'm in a PhD program at a state school and it's required by the university, not sure if this is universal.) But the due date isn't until June 20th, so you can wait until you know where you're going. 

Edited by akraticfanatic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Hello 2021 applicants!

As you are applying for programs and sorting out your futures, I hope some of you will consider applying to Texas Tech University for a funded MA in philosophy.

You can read more about our program here: https://www.depts.ttu.edu/philosophy/degrees/gradprogram.php

And our placement record here: https://www.depts.ttu.edu/philosophy/degrees/placement.php

The MA program usually takes two years, and support is provided in the form of fellowships and/or TAships. We pride ourselves on offering a diverse range of courses, including aesthetics and history of philosophy, though many of our students gravitate towards language, mind and epistemology. Our students come from a wide range of backgrounds, and with PhD programs becoming so competitive, it is often helpful to have completed graduate work before applying to the PhD.  And in a year where many programs have reduced or closed admissions, we are hoping to admit a full cohort of graduate students. Our deadline is February 15th, though we begin reviewing applications earlier.

If you have any questions about the program or life in Lubbock, please feel free to email me at amy.flowerree@ttu.edu.

Good luck with your applications!

Very best,

Amy

10 hours ago, AKFlowerree said:

UPDATE: I have confirmed with our DGS that there is no GRE requirement for the 2021-2022 admission cycle. This should soon be reflected on our website.

Does that mean GRE report is optional, or GRE report will not be considered? Guess these are quite differet—it is good either way, though.

Great question! GRE is optional. If reported, it will be included as part of a holistic assessment of the applicant (though the role of the GRE will be different this year, since we will not be able to use it to compare across all applicants). 

4 hours ago, AKFlowerree said:

Great question! GRE is optional. If reported, it will be included as part of a holistic assessment of the applicant (though the role of the GRE will be different this year, since we will not be able to use it to compare across all applicants). 

Hi Amy!

I noticed that Georgia State has noticed an increase in applications, thereby making admissions perhaps a bit more competitive than in recent years (though big perhaps, since many of those applicants could get into a PhD program). Do you know if TX Tech has noticed the same thing? If so, do you know about what percentage of applicants you will be admitting this year? (Rough percentage is totally cool!) 

Also, do you have any idea about when offers will start to go out (especially if we turned in our application in December ?)? Thank you!! 

3 hours ago, Happybuddha said:

Hi Amy!

I noticed that Georgia State has noticed an increase in applications, thereby making admissions perhaps a bit more competitive than in recent years (though big perhaps, since many of those applicants could get into a PhD program). Do you know if TX Tech has noticed the same thing? If so, do you know about what percentage of applicants you will be admitting this year? (Rough percentage is totally cool!) 

Also, do you have any idea about when offers will start to go out (especially if we turned in our application in December ?)? Thank you!! 

I don't yet know if we have an increase of applications. Admissions will meet later this month, so nothing before then, for sure!

• 1 year later...

Bump! Please consider applying for an MA in philosophy at Texas Tech University. Since last year, I can report:

• we have raised our graduate stipends to $14k/year. And the cost of living in Lubbock is *low*.
  • The GRE is not required this year either.
  • The priority deadline is February 15, though we continue to review applications after that (so if you strike out at PhD programs, please consider shooting an application our way!).
  • I am now director of graduate admissions, so I can now speak authoritatively on our process.

I'm happy to answer questions: amy.flowerree@ttu.edu

TTU Philosophy: https://www.depts.ttu.edu/philosophy/degrees/gradprogram.php

On the one hand, I concur with a professor I like quite a lot who said that the number of requirements, etc. for incoming/continuing PhD students is excessive. On the other hand, I can say - pragmatically speaking - that I wish I had applied to more terminal M.A. programs! I did not apply to Texas Tech and I am finishing up my M.A. elsewhere, but I do think more people should consider terminal M.A. programs (and for multiple reasons). As someone who is always in doubt, I'm still not sure about pursuing a PhD. However, I feel much more confident about the quality of my application materials, philosophical acumen, and scholarly discipline after completing an M.A., particularly choosing one outside of the general scope of my undergrad (although I am still very much a member of that "school" of thought).

• 1 year later...