Silberman Fall 2021 MSW

vincentmsw

1 hour ago, mswhopeful21 said:

Has anyone had any luck reaching the financial aid office? I have questions about claiming my loans, appealing for work study, etc and they are not responding to any emails. Wondering if anyone has been able to speak with them directly? 

47 minutes ago, TeeSww said:

No luck! I called several times and emailed them as well.

https://cunyhunterretain.askadmissions.net/Portal/EI/GroupUrl?gid=530459603c63e88168497588a1fceef197e239

reserve spot here

I'm having a hard time finding the cost of attendance (including housing, etc) for Hunter. I know other schools break that down to help you determine your loan eligibility since you can claim up to the total COA. Has anyone been able to find that number for Silberman? All I'm seeing is the plain tuition costs. Thanks!!

26 minutes ago, ArcherKneess said:

Hey Everyone! Hope all is well:) Feeling a little bit nervous. I had my interview about two weeks ago, but have not heard any updates. Is it usually a long wait period regarding a decision?

Yeah it can take awhile for them to send out decisions

Hello Everyone,

I applied to the OYR program and my application is still on "pending interview". No status change and the last time I spoke to Philip Angulo (enrollment manager) he just provided me vague information. Something along the lines of "you should hear back middle of May or the end of May. I am highly concerned as I know that many of you fine people have already been interviewed and so forth. Is it safe to assume that I did not get in? Anxious as my extension for my decision for SBU ends Monday and well NYU is June 15th I believe. 

-Random individual who applied as well

On 5/5/2021 at 9:39 PM, TeeSww said:

Hi guys! 
does anyone have the method community organizing and planning ? I would love to connect 

Hi everyone. I'm new to this thread. I will be joining you guys this Fall at Silberman. I wish I had known about this thread earlier. I could have really used the support back in March when I "just knew" I had ruined any chances I had of being accepted to Silberman. 

Long story short, I freaked out when I got an interview invitation and then couldn't even interview because all the spots were "full." I didn't realize that that was a glitch in the system at the time and panicked. I managed to get somebody on the phone and I guess he was tired of speaking to people because right after he explained it was a glitch and my application was still being "processed," he hung up on me. I thought I had annoyed him so much that I was going to receive a letter of denial at any moment. 

It's a little bit funny now, but not so much back then.

Anywho, I'm a two year student and my method is also Community Organization Planning and Development for anyone who would like to connect.

Despite being accepted last month, I just got an email yesterday about the pre-orientation. Apparently there is one May 18th and another May 19th and then the New Student Orientation is on the 25th. 

For those of you who have already attended the Pre-Orientation is there anything truly important you think I should be aware of?

On 5/13/2021 at 8:54 AM, SociallyDistant said:

Hello Everyone,

I applied to the OYR program and my application is still on "pending interview". No status change and the last time I spoke to Philip Angulo (enrollment manager) he just provided me vague information. Something along the lines of "you should hear back middle of May or the end of May. I am highly concerned as I know that many of you fine people have already been interviewed and so forth. Is it safe to assume that I did not get in? Anxious as my extension for my decision for SBU ends Monday and well NYU is June 15th I believe. 

Not everyone is interviewed. I wasn't. If I've learned anything from this whole application process is that you have to be your own advocate. And try to get everything in writing. While a bit unorthodox, I've learned that you'll hear from the school sooner if you CC a few people in your email along with your intended party. That way if one person doesn't respond, somebody else will and if you have to send a follow up email those other people will be aware of it.

The intention is not to get anybody in trouble or to be annoying, but to let the person you're contacting, and the school in general, know that you're serious about wanting to attend. If you don't advocate for yourself, nobody else will.

Good luck.

16 hours ago, Ishita Islam said:

Hello,

I have my interview on 5/20 and kinda nervous. Any tips for someone who doesn't have any experience in social work? ?

If you read through the thread there are a few people who have interviewed and described their experience with it. 

I didn't have to interview, but I haven't been part of the social work field for as long as others so I understand your nerves. My advise is to concentrate on why you decided to pursue your Masters in Social. Read over your essay if you need a reminder of the answers to the questions you were asked. 

Good luck!

On 5/15/2021 at 1:47 AM, Ishita Islam said:

Hello,

I have my interview on 5/20 and kinda nervous. Any tips for someone who doesn't have any experience in social work? ?

Don't worry about it. 

This isn't like a job interview, where you feel the need to perfectly show off your expertise to get the gig. 

This is for a spot in an educational program. They know you don't have the skills - that's why you're seeking education!

What they want to figure out, from what I could tell from the questions, is whether or not you seem mentally prepared for graduate level study and social work and if your politics/beliefs are compatible with Silberman's perspective of social work.

The questions felt a lot more like they wanted to figure out who we were as people and where we were in life to be pursuing this degree. (One of my friends, who is a social worker in the city, also suggested that one role of the interview is to confirm that you are the person who wrote the statement you submitted, and that it was honest).

Giving honest answers to the questions is what will serve you much better than any other tips, etc. that we could give.

aah thank you so much

15 hours ago, AstoriaMSW said:

Don't worry about it. 

This isn't like a job interview, where you feel the need to perfectly show off your expertise to get the gig. 

This is for a spot in an educational program. They know you don't have the skills - that's why you're seeking education!

What they want to figure out, from what I could tell from the questions, is whether or not you seem mentally prepared for graduate level study and social work and if your politics/beliefs are compatible with Silberman's perspective of social work.

The questions felt a lot more like they wanted to figure out who we were as people and where we were in life to be pursuing this degree. (One of my friends, who is a social worker in the city, also suggested that one role of the interview is to confirm that you are the person who wrote the statement you submitted, and that it was honest).

Giving honest answers to the questions is what will serve you much better than any other tips, etc. that we could give.

Aah, thank you so much! 

Does anyone know if there's a deadline to accept the Financial Aid award posted on CUNY First?

I'm so lost!! I did register for the financial aid advisor Zoom meeting but the only one available is all the way on June 10. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you :)

On 5/13/2021 at 8:54 AM, SociallyDistant said:

Hello Everyone,

I talked with some people in enrollment at Silberman today, and they reiterated that the admissions process for Fall is still happening right now - so I would not conclude that you didn't get in yet. But that said, I share your anxieties and I also continue to be in the same boat without a conclusive yes or no. Ugh!

I'm not sure if this was explained elsewhere in the thread, but for anyone else stuck waiting now, or who may be reading this in the future: the person at Silberman who I spoke with was more clear in defining what "Pending Program Decision" means than I had understood before. This means your application has been reviewed; they've assessed that you're a good, qualified candidate; but the reviewers have some reservations. In my case, this is related to my lack of direct experience in the field of social work, which I can certainly understand - I'm coming in as a career-changer. So the decision comes down to the Director of Enrollment reviewing your application to weigh out if the concerns are enough to tip your application one way or another, or at least that's what was explained to me today. I don't know if it's solely that person's decision, but it's primarily up to them now. Your fate is in their hands if you see the words "Pending Program Decision" in your application portal.

In my own app process, I'm frustrated. I've formally declined two of my acceptances; I put down the deposit for NYU and will be registering for classes, but I wish I could have known by now what all of my options truly are in total. I'm also moving apartments soon - if I were to be commuting up to Silberman, that would be a really important factor to know! Even if I could've known sooner that I was not offered admission, that would have been helpful information for comparing my options and deciding with more certainty earlier on...

I hope that you have heard something by now, OP! And I hope anyone else stuck in limbo gets some answers soon.

On 5/26/2021 at 9:41 PM, Catlady234 said:

Does anyone know if there's a deadline to accept the Financial Aid award posted on CUNY First?

I'm so lost!! I did register for the financial aid advisor Zoom meeting but the only one available is all the way on June 10. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you :)

Hi. I received a financial aid award on my regular email address and then a “revised” one in my hunter email with instructions. The “revised” one was the same amount. I hope this helps. 

8B234EC3-B6F8-438C-ABDF-55AC958806A8.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/27/2021 at 9:41 PM, ayco said:

Finally received an interview invitation by email on June 24th. Had been assuming the opportunity had passed but here we are - just in case anyone else is still wondering! I had sent my application in on the very last day so I expect I'm the last round they're getting to.

Didn’t know interviews are still happening. I'm still waiting for a response back ?

6 hours ago, ArcherKneess said:

Hey Everyone! Hope all is well:)

Quick Question, Is there a FaceBook group for students for the Fall 2021 semester?

not specifically for fall 2021 students but there is a general silberman group page

Hey everyone!

Congrats to all applicants who have been accepted. I just received my acceptance letter for Fall 2021 for the clinical track. I was wondering if you guys know any information about deferring for a year? My interviewer mentioned we can defer our application for 1 year. But when I google searched, Hunter mentioned they do not accept defferals. I'm wondering if my interviewer was wrong or if this is a new exception because of COVID-19. Any thoughts?

Also, I was wondering about field placements in regards to vaccines. Will field placements be online and if they are in person, will field placements require the vaccine? (i cannot get the vaccine for health reasons but don't want to limit my educational experience because of it) 

Thanks guys!