Silberman Fall 2021 MSW

vincentmsw

21 hours ago, Catlady23 said:

Hello @Ishita Islam

i am on Week 5 since I was interviewed. From what I heard from other people who were not interviewed and waiting for a response, it seems like your status will suddenly change probably by the end of this week. Or maybe Mid May I really don’t know.

I seriously hope they don’t tell us later than May because that’s just a lot on their behalf. Good luck to you

I hit my 5 week mark this week too. I emailed them twice and heard back that they would "review my request in the next few days." That was 9 days ago.

@notforyou2know thanks for relating lol. Were you in the early March 23rd interview slot? 10:30 I believe ?

At this point, I really need to have an answer because I need to apply for housing and the deadline is May 1st. I need a Hunter ID to apply. Their delay in notifying me is affecting my chances of securing housing which I really need. Also, it’s just starting to feel really irresponsible on their part to delay notification for this long. I know they’re overwhelmed with applicants but people really need to know what’s going to happen so they can make Proper arrangements To be settled in for the fall. That takes more than just a couple of months sometimes.

im not sure what to do but I think I’m going to email them everyday until I get something. 

For those who are waiting for pre-orientation info, I just emailed the enrollment team and asked about it and they sent me the links to sign up for sessions. I'm already learning that this school requires some self advocacy, but so far they've all been very helpful and kind- you just have to take the initiative. 

2 minutes ago, Catlady23 said:

@notforyou2know thanks for relating lol. Were you in the early March 23rd interview slot? 10:30 I believe ?

At this point, I really need to have an answer because I need to apply for housing and the deadline is May 1st. I need a Hunter ID to apply. Their delay in notifying me is affecting my chances of securing housing which I really need. Also, it’s just starting to feel really irresponsible on their part to delay notification for this long. I know they’re overwhelmed with applicants but people really need to know what’s going to happen so they can make Proper arrangements To be settled in for the fall. That takes more than just a couple of months sometimes.

im not sure what to do but I think I’m going to email them everyday until I get something. 

I was on the 23rd, but I think it was 9 am? Who can remember at this point lol. 

I'm in a similar boat, I need to find out more about financial situations and affording school. When I was having trouble with my application back in February, I called (212) 396-6049 and although the staff wasn't able to help me herself, she emailed two sw faculty members and directed them to call me. One called me right away and has actually called me a couple of times sense when I've emailed him. I emailed him directly this morning with and I'm waiting to hear back. I'll let you know if he says anything. 

Has your application status ever changed from "pending interview?" 

I think the best thing to do for yourself, especially with that deadline, is call the school directly and say If I get in I need to be able to apply for housing and that you either need to be given a hunter ID or something somehow to do so or they need to let you know your admissions status immediately. 

It's not fair to leave us on the backburner. I can understand they are busy, and I know the interview email situation messed them up but they're out of excuses at this point. Don't provide timelines you can't stick to.

@notforyou2know absolutely, I agree with them being out of excuses. It really isn’t fair when real issues are at stake such as housing.

ive tried calling and have gotten no helpful response. I’ve found more success talking to them via their chat hours but honestly, they gave me two emails and I’ve emailed both and have not gotten a response from either. 

what were the numbers given to you to call? And do you have the email of the person who’s been very responsive? It would greatly help me. Thank you for your helpful responses :)

1 hour ago, Catlady23 said:

@notforyou2know absolutely, I agree with them being out of excuses. It really isn’t fair when real issues are at stake such as housing.

ive tried calling and have gotten no helpful response. I’ve found more success talking to them via their chat hours but honestly, they gave me two emails and I’ve emailed both and have not gotten a response from either. 

what were the numbers given to you to call? And do you have the email of the person who’s been very responsive? It would greatly help me. Thank you for your helpful responses :)

I messaged you some contact info.  Hope everything works out! Keep me posted

3 hours ago, mswhopeful21 said:

For those who are waiting for pre-orientation info, I just emailed the enrollment team and asked about it and they sent me the links to sign up for sessions. I'm already learning that this school requires some self advocacy, but so far they've all been very helpful and kind- you just have to take the initiative. 

Hi,

are you apart of the two year program? If so, do you mind giving me the contact info? Also, when are the dates for the orientation.

Question For All: I was putting my classes in my shopping cart for the OYR track and I saw there was 1 or 2 options for each class in person. Are ppl planning on going in person? Practice lab is almost 3 hours I don’t know that I can zoom that long and be engaged. Also there were asynchronous and synchronous online options. I know for sure I have to go at a specific time or I will procrastinate with work and personal life. Just want to know what ppl are planning and how they feel. 

Also in the pre orientation someone asked the cohort size and they said they can’t tell us because they are still accepting ppl. Just words of encouragement for ppl waiting. They also said full time clinical is the largest cohort. Y’all will get in. Fingers crossed for anyone waiting. Also class registration is may 25th and orientation during summer months so y’all are not missing anything all classes will still be there. 

2 hours ago, ArcherKneess said:

Hey Everyone! Has anyone dealt with errors for the submission of the essay? I literally missed the time by a few seconds:/ I  am scared this might affect my application:/

I assume you mean the written assignment, not the personal statement, yeah?

My understanding is that any/all text loaded when it times out is automatically submitted. It's the equivalent of a proctor yelling "pens down" during a written you sit for. What's on the page is what gets turned in. 

Mine timed out, too, but I had all the content in there (was just proofreading) and it was no issue.

4 minutes ago, AstoriaMSW said:

I assume you mean the written assignment, not the personal statement, yeah?

My understanding is that any/all text loaded when it times out is automatically submitted. It's the equivalent of a proctor yelling "pens down" during a written you sit for. What's on the page is what gets turned in. 

Mine timed out, too, but I had all the content in there (was just proofreading) and it was no issue.

Yeah! I wrote everything in Word and then posted everything in the Classroom link. I posted in the last few seconds so I  kinda of freaked out that it may not have posted.  Hopefully everything works out.

Edited by ArcherKneess

35 minutes ago, Gradguy11218 said:

Question For All: I was putting my classes in my shopping cart for the OYR track and I saw there was 1 or 2 options for each class in person. Are ppl planning on going in person? Practice lab is almost 3 hours I don’t know that I can zoom that long and be engaged. Also there were asynchronous and synchronous online options. I know for sure I have to go at a specific time or I will procrastinate with work and personal life. Just want to know what ppl are planning and how they feel. 

Also in the pre orientation someone asked the cohort size and they said they can’t tell us because they are still accepting ppl. Just words of encouragement for ppl waiting. They also said full time clinical is the largest cohort. Y’all will get in. Fingers crossed for anyone waiting. Also class registration is may 25th and orientation during summer months so y’all are not missing anything all classes will still be there. 

I was on the session today too and missed what they said about remote/in person classes. I had heard that we'll be starting off remote but I know I missed a part of what they said on this and am wondering if I missed a key point. I was so disappointed about being remote as I was so looking forward to being in class with others. I'm the same as you-- I know I will struggle with keeping up in asynchronous classes. 

Also wanted to echo what you said about words of encouragement-- it seems like they're really still accepting people so sending good vibes to all waiting! 

13 minutes ago, mswhopeful21 said:

I was on the session today too and missed what they said about remote/in person classes. I had heard that we'll be starting off remote but I know I missed a part of what they said on this and am wondering if I missed a key point. I was so disappointed about being remote as I was so looking forward to being in class with others. I'm the same as you-- I know I will struggle with keeping up in asynchronous classes. 

Also wanted to echo what you said about words of encouragement-- it seems like they're really still accepting people so sending good vibes to all waiting! 

They said for spring classes will be in person  no more remote. There are options for in person just a few classes. 

7 minutes ago, mswhopeful21 said:

I know some other schools in the region/city, like Columbia/Rutgers, have decided to do in-person education but firmly require vaccination to attend.

Now that we've hit the point where the mass inoculation sites in the city have significant numbers of unused slots per day, I kinda expect CUNY to follow suit. If you're not on the road to vaccination at this point, you probably just don't want to be vaccinated. Which, y'know, is your choice but I don't think schools are going to take on the liability of that, and they aren't going to stay remote to accommodate that choice. 

I'm really hoping for in-person education, personally. So much of communication is nonverbal, so I'd prefer to learn clinical skills in a situation where we can see more than just a head and shoulders. 

1 minute ago, AstoriaMSW said:

I know some other schools in the region/city, like Columbia/Rutgers, have decided to do in-person education but firmly require vaccination to attend.

Now that we've hit the point where the mass inoculation sites in the city have significant numbers of unused slots per day, I kinda expect CUNY to follow suit. If you're not on the road to vaccination at this point, you probably just don't want to be vaccinated. Which, y'know, is your choice but I don't think schools are going to take on the liability of that, and they aren't going to stay remote to accommodate that choice. 

I'm really hoping for in-person education, personally. So much of communication is nonverbal, so I'd prefer to learn clinical skills in a situation where we can see more than just a head and shoulders. 

Completely agree with you. I can't imagine becoming a social worker after learning half the skills through a screen. Really hoping they'll follow local schools and go fully in person! 

2 hours ago, AstoriaMSW said:

Someone asked about sending their vaccinations with immunization and they said CUNY has not required and they won’t do it at this point. So we can register for the in person classes without the vaccine

6 hours ago, Gradguy11218 said:

Hi! I was in the pre-orientation today as well. And I tried to put my classes in the shopping cart too and found annoying that 2 classes on the same day are offered in different modalities and one is online and the other one is in person. It's very annoying, if I'm gonna be online I want to be home. But having 2 classes in a row, one being online and the other one being in-person is aggravating I think. I wanted to do Practice lab in person but I was looking forward to not have to commute one day of the week and being in person the other day. My dreamed schedule would be practice lab in person and HB & Social Welfare online. I will reach out to the advisers asking about the mix modalities on the same day back to back.