Psychology PhD Stipend (Clinical, School, Developmental)

prospie1234

Hi all,

First time poster here. I'll be applying to programs next year, and I was wondering about PhD program stipends. Not sure what to expect and what to be looking out for. I'll be applying to a mix of programs (Clinical, School, Developmental), and I was wondering if there was a typical/standard stipend for each area. What is a competitive stipend at this time? I would really even appreciate specific school names if possible, but if you feel uncomfortable writing it here, I would appreciate a DM! 

THANK YOU ALL IN ADVANCE!!!

My stipend in a clinical program in a high COL area on the east coast is 34,000, pre-tax. It is among the highest PhD stipends I have heard of, and is largely driven by the COL. It's crappy, though, because it still not a lot. But at least I don't have tuition :) 

I think across the country, the median stipend for *funded* clinical programs is somewhere between 20-30k, pre-tax. At least anecdotally, people I know in other programs and other programs I interviewed at were in that range, with low COL = lower stipend, high COL = higher stipend. 

22 hours ago, Clinapp2017 said:

My stipend in a clinical program in a high COL area on the east coast is 34,000, pre-tax. It is among the highest PhD stipends I have heard of, and is largely driven by the COL. It's crappy, though, because it still not a lot. But at least I don't have tuition :) 

I think across the country, the median stipend for *funded* clinical programs is somewhere between 20-30k, pre-tax. At least anecdotally, people I know in other programs and other programs I interviewed at were in that range, with low COL = lower stipend, high COL = higher stipend. 

Thank you for the quick response! And that does seem very high, especially compared to what I have heard from other clinical students. 

Anyone have any info about school or dev programs?

Thanks again!

4 hours ago, prospie1234 said:

Anyone have any info about school or dev programs?

Developmental programs are lower than clinical, apparently.  My stipend is in the low 20s, and I'm told it's generous for a developmental program - and I live in a VERY high COL part of the United States. I know some other programs in the MidWest and South struggle to hit 20.

For the clinical programs I looked at and applied to this year, I would say the range was about 16-26. But that included some pretty low COL places. Also tuition waivers/remission can vary, so definitely take that into account. Full tuition waivers are common, but there's also partial waivers and schools that waive out-of-state tuition and still require in-state tuition (which can be super cheap in some states but still).

Thank you all for the helpful info. Overall it seems highly variable but associated with COL. Good to know!!

If anyone has stipend info about school psychology that would be super helpful! And more data points for clinical and developmental programs are also welcome!