MSW 2022 CANADA APPLICATION FORUM

On 11/22/2021 at 9:29 AM, AlexaS said:

I had little confidence in myself while applying for schools, I had about 2000hrs of direct experience in children's mental health and employment services, an 84% average, and some research experience as I wrote an undergraduate thesis. I applied for Windsor, Laurier, and UofT as well as Lakehead's 1-year BSW program. I was accepted into lakehead, but waitlisted for all 3 MSW programs. I was accepted off the waitlist for Windsor in May and very surprisingly, I was accepted off of UofT's program a week before classes started. I am now attending UofT and I am loving the program.

My main point is to not doubt yourself! You don't have to have the most hours of experience or the highest grades, but it's how you relate your experience to social work. Don't be afraid to show off who you are! I remember not wanting to come off ignorant, but it is important to be confident in your personal statement. 

Wish you all the best of luck!

Thanks for sharing your experience! Do you find it's easy to build relationships with UofT profs? I read somewhere that they're mainly busy with their own research so the interactions aren't as tight-knit? How true is that? How many students are in each class usually?

Also, curious if you're comfortable sharing and remember, what you answered (in short) for: "how do you think that you can contribute to the program?"

On 10/19/2021 at 12:56 PM, MelaninandJustice said:

Hi everyone!  I just want to extend an invitation to anyone who has any questions about the MSW program at U of T  - especially the application process. I am currently in my first year of the program after applying last year and am super happy in answering questions people may have.

Thanks for the invitation! 

Do you find it's easy to build relationships with UofT profs? I read somewhere that they're mainly busy with their own research so the interactions aren't as tight-knit? How true is that? How many students are in each class usually?

Also, curious if you're comfortable sharing and remember, what you answered (in short) for: "how do you think that you can contribute to the program?"

On 8/3/2021 at 10:01 PM, FrostyMoon said:

Hey everyone! Thought I could offer a guide for prospective applicants in figuring out which MSW programs might align best with their personal and career interests as someone who was admitted into an MSW program during last year’s admission cycle. I went through all of the accredited English-language MSW programs in Canada and subjectively categorized their area of specialization based on the university’s description of their program and what types of courses they offer. This isn’t an exhaustive list by any means, but it might help folks with figuring out which universities to apply for. 

Clinical: Calgary, Laurier, UBC Okanagan, UofT.

One of the most commonly asked questions on these threads is whether or not a MSW program is clinically-focused. These universities have a strong focus in clinical social work practice and the assessment, diagnosis, and treatment of people with mental illness. Both UofC and UofT offer degree specializations in Clinical Practice/Mental Health while UBCO’s MSW program is entirely specialized towards clinical social work practice. Laurier allows you to tailor your elective courses to either clinical micro-level practice or community macro-level practice. Additionally, all four MSW programs provide students the opportunity to pursue a thesis prior to graduating. If you are looking to practice in a clinical or counselling capacity in the future, these universities will offer a strong selection of courses that deal with clinical practice, administering psychological assessments, and working in mental health settings. 

You Rockk! What an exemplary social worker you are!?

As a result of sharing your research, I'm planning to apply for UBCO and Laurier (in Jan) too as back up clinical options.. As a Torontonian I can't see myself living in Calgary tbh!?

I'd deeply appreciate it if anyone would share any other clinically-focused accredited Online MSW options for non-BSW applicants, other than Laurier!?

Edited by WhoDat

On 12/9/2021 at 7:31 PM, jenni.axelson said:

Oh good! I really hope that reference goes through for you!

I'm planning to do one final edit tomorrow morning before I submit. Busy work week. It seems to me like it is due tomorrow during the day, otherwise it would say "before Dec 10"?..... right?

So I found through a horrifying misunderstanding that their deadline of Dec 10 actually meant Dec 9 at 11:59PM. I was reviewing my application around 11:45pm on Dec 9 and was ready to submit around 12:30am on Dec 10. When I went to press the button I got an error message stating that the program had closed... and immediately started freaking out. I then googled "what do I do if I miss the deadline" on the verge of tears lmao and most of the recommendations were to contact the admissions office and ask about their policies or for an extension. So I emailed Angelo Umbrello (Administrative Coordinator for Admissions + Programs) and basically begged her to let me submit because their deadline time was unclear (and everything was already submitted like my supporting documents and references). Luckily she responded and let me submit because she said they were giving people a "limited grace period" due to using a new application platform.

9 hours ago, WhoDat said:

I'm curious to hear from those who applied to UofT, since every one of us has unique backgrounds & ambitions, I wonder how different individuals answered (in short) "how do you think that you can contribute to the program?" 

We never get to peak behind the scenes so this might be nice to get a better sense of the individuals (possible future classmates) who applied!

P.s. I applied to Mental Health & Health - domestic

Here's how I responded to that part of the question, I'd love to see others!

What I can contribute to the FIFSW MSW program are my sensitivity and skills gained from my lived experiences and research experience, including policy research and non-traditional forms of research, including community-engaged and peer-based projects. I have experience navigating difficult and emotional conversations, supporting peers, and debriefing to prevent re-traumatizing participants when discussing tough subjects. I am an abolitionist and will use this framework to propel the field towards anti-carceral social work practices, particularly in the settings of child welfare, gender-based violence, and schools. Additionally, I can contribute an intersectional feminist, anti-oppressive and anti-racist lens to social work, with a commitment to mutual learning and teaching with faculty and among my peers.

Hi all. I applied to the spring start for Laurier (May 2022, I believe). This was the online, part-time MSW.  I submitted the application in June. I certainly didn't expect a response right away, but it's been 6 months now. 

Has anyone heard from them for the spring start? I am assuming I didn't get in (I understood it was competitive) and rejections are delayed, or I somehow slipped through the cracks. Wondering if anyone has any insight on the spring start? thank you.

19 hours ago, WhoDat said:

Thanks for the invitation! 

Do you find it's easy to build relationships with UofT profs? I read somewhere that they're mainly busy with their own research so the interactions aren't as tight-knit? How true is that? How many students are in each class usually?

Hey great questions,

So the relationship building with professors is really good in my opinion. The professors are not snooty like that. Each professor has a different teaching style, it depends. The professors I have learned under so far go out of their way to make sure that you feel supported - some of them also share their perspective of how they got into social work to begin with and even outline their social location. I found it was really easy to develop relationships with them, especially as I was an active contributor in class. The class sizes are SUPER small - like 25 people each. If you turn your camera off - THEY WILL NOTICE lol. SO that contributed to the intimate setting and helped me digest concepts more readily.

The second question I don't remember too much off the top of my head but I thought about what the social work field was  lacking and talked briefly about how my lived experiences and social location offer a unique perspective and lens of social work. I think I talked about the underserved populations that I could impact with this knowledge as well. 

Hope that is helpful :) 

21 hours ago, WhoDat said:

I'm curious to hear from those who applied to UofT, since every one of us has unique backgrounds & ambitions, I wonder how different individuals answered (in short) "how do you think that you can contribute to the program?" 

We never get to peak behind the scenes so this might be nice to get a better sense of the individuals (possible future classmates) who applied!

P.s. I applied to Mental Health & Health - domestic

This is the question that freaked me out the most as I had no idea how specific I should or shouldn't get! I had a friend talk me off a ledge lol and basically focused on four things:

1. Wanting to be part of the collaborative specialization with Women and Gender studies and an interest I have in research connected to social justice, gendered violence, and intersectional feminism. 

2. Specific research interests that connect to some of the services the FIFSW are currently offering and my background within those highly specified services and interests. (Online counseling and peer support, especially focused on mental health and gendered violence from an intersectional feminist praxis.. so.. specific lol).

3. A commitment to partnering with diverse communities through using an example, and advocating for community-level needs through a different example (these are both things they actively mention in their "mission" statement). 

4. Lived experience and activist experience is useful and supplementing that with academic experience is a good thing. 

Hi everyone!

I am trying to submit my Laurier application but am noticing that the personal statement fillable spaces are not big enough to accommodate their 500 word limit. No matter what I do I cannot get all of the words to fit. Anyone else having this problem? any ideas on how to move forward?

1 hour ago, SMSW1 said:

Hi everyone!

I am trying to submit my Laurier application but am noticing that the personal statement fillable spaces are not big enough to accommodate their 500 word limit. No matter what I do I cannot get all of the words to fit. Anyone else having this problem? any ideas on how to move forward?

I had the same problem! I had to email them and then they did it for me because no matter what I tried it wouldn’t work. Hope this helps!

19 hours ago, ChipDip said:

I had the same problem! I had to email them and then they did it for me because no matter what I tried it wouldn’t work. Hope this helps!

Hey! I know its last minute, but when I submit my application a while ago, I prepared my questions in a seperate document and then changed the font size in that word document and copy and pasted it into the pdf they provided and it worked just fine. I know its late but just in case someone is having the same problem and are getting down to crunch time

Can anyone confirm that if with a MSW degree from UBCO, one can become a RCSW with the Ontario College? Just want to be sure!

I've already emailed the Ontario College but due to high volume they'll get back to me in a week (if even!) & I'd appreciate getting this affirmation earlier to feel more confident about the decision of applying to UBCO - the deadline is on Jan 10th, 2022!

Thanks in advance!

Edited by WhoDat

On 12/13/2021 at 5:06 PM, teaandSW21 said:

things are moving pretty fast for some schools (I can say that as a previous UofT applicant getting waitlisted in April lol) my application for the 2 year MSW program at Carleton has already updated to 'recommended for assessment' I completed my application mid to late November so I think this might be why. Seems like acceptances usually go out feb 17th at the earliest. How is everyone else feeling? :)

I'm finding it impossible to wait until Feb 17th. I've been checking the sites every day or so, even though I know they won't be updated yet...this wait is going to be strenuous! 

12 minutes ago, DiveInComeOutKinder said:

I'm finding it impossible to wait until Feb 17th. I've been checking the sites every day or so, even though I know they won't be updated yet...this wait is going to be strenuous! 

totally resonate with that- it feels so long but goes by pretty fast.. such a relief once it's over.. last time I waited from december to april 4th which SUCKED. I'm here with you.

8 hours ago, WhoDat said:

Can anyone confirm that if with a MSW degree from UBCO, one can become a RCSW with the Ontario College? Just want to be sure!

I've already emailed the Ontario College but due to high volume they'll get back to me in a week (if even!) & I'd appreciate getting this affirmation earlier to feel more confident about the decision of applying to UBCO - the deadline is on Jan 10th, 2022!

Thanks in advance!

hey- i'm applying to UBCO as well. It doesn't matter where you do your schooling you can register in ontario. You just wouldn't be able to practice as a SW in another province if it is different from the one that you register in. Has nothing to do with where you do your schooling though.