MSW 2022 CANADA APPLICATION FORUM

21 hours ago, teaandSW21 said:

ugh right.. so annoying that the references were to complete after we submitted.. makes it weird with the timing. I did not like the 6 questions with such a small word limit, pleasure to virtually 'meet' though :) I think for the references they will just be asked the same questions that we 'ranked' ourselves on in the application process then they compare what we said to what they said? just a guess. I want to work with adolescents with trauma in the mental health setting, hopefully with doing private practice one day.. how about you? 

Um I still haven't submitted!? been doing everything last min for both UofT & UBCO since I was not planning on a Masters at all & it suddenly literally hit me last min that this is what I ought to do/it's my calling!!

Ahh thanks for sharing your thoughts! I shall include those questions in the referee request email then! I assumed they'd probably ask for a general letter of reference too??‍♀️

Oh My Goodness! I'd want a partner for my future trauma-informed private practice once I graduate.. working with highschool & college students & their parents!! Esp immigrant students!

Would love to find out if we have complementary skills/strengths, once we get accepted to start setting the foundation????

Which trauma-focused modalities are you planning to get trained in?

Edited by WhoDat

On 12/17/2021 at 7:28 PM, ChipDip said:

m not sure if this matters, but I applied last year and did not get another email, however my joinid is the same as last year I believe. So maybe if you are not a new applicant you don't get another email? I have no idea 

yeah - that makes sense.  Coz you probably have access to JOINid

20 hours ago, MSW-Advanced Standing said:

im scared now, i did not receive any email from UOFT, no email about student ID ... 

whats wrong with my application??

I think they are sending it out in batches.  The JOINid email is just to have access to certain UofT websites.  And I think all applicants will receive it eventually.  

21 hours ago, MSW-Advanced Standing said:

im scared now, i did not receive any email from UOFT, no email about student ID ... 

whats wrong with my application??

I'm sure yours is coming! they probably have so many to send out. I also submitted my application way back in late October. 

Hi everyone! I have been lurking for a long time and decided to finally join in :) 

I have applied to foundational programs at UofC, UofT, and UBC-O. I also received an email about the JOINid from UofT, then later got an email stating my student number. 

A few weeks ago I received an email from UBC-O College of Graduate Studies saying my application was being reviewed by the program, but this might be because I submitted it way back at the beginning of November. Best of luck to you all!

5 hours ago, WhoDat said:

Um I still haven't submitted!? been doing everything last min for both UofT & UBCO since I was not planning on a Masters at all & it suddenly literally hit me last min that this is what I ought to do/it's my calling!!

Ahh thanks for sharing your thoughts! I shall include those questions in the referee request email then! I assumed they'd probably ask for a general letter of reference too??‍♀️

Oh My Goodness! I'd want a partner for my future trauma-informed private practice once I graduate.. working with highschool & college students & their parents!! Esp immigrant students!

Would love to find out if we have complementary skills/strengths, once we get accepted to start setting the foundation????

Which trauma-focused modalities are you planning to get trained in?

fair enough. You sound like you are my type of person! yes to trauma informed private practice. Would love to do EMDR/ego-focused/parts work modalities. Also DBT!!

4 hours ago, softshelltaco said:

Hi everyone! I have been lurking for a long time and decided to finally join in :) 

I have applied to foundational programs at UofC, UofT, and UBC-O. I also received an email about the JOINid from UofT, then later got an email stating my student number. 

A few weeks ago I received an email from UBC-O College of Graduate Studies saying my application was being reviewed by the program, but this might be because I submitted it way back at the beginning of November. Best of luck to you all!

Good luck to you too!

On 12/13/2021 at 2:01 PM, teaandSW21 said:

Anyone applying for the 2 year foundational program at UBC Okanagan know if we actually have to cite for the personal statement that says 'based on academic literature what makes the above social issue of importance'? It is unclear whether they are looking for actual citations or not and I feel like if I email them they will just say something like 'what does the question say' lol 

At one of their online info sessions someone asked this question, and I believe their response was that citations are not needed; unless, of course, you are using ideas that are not your own. Personally, I included citations because: i) I made reference to studies and theories that related to my topic of interest, and; ii) it asks to base our response on academic literature. Of course, this is all dependent on your writing style, so I doubt they will look at your response unfavourably if you don't use references. I hope this helps and good luck with the personal statement :) 

3 hours ago, softshelltaco said:

At one of their online info sessions someone asked this question, and I believe their response was that citations are not needed; unless, of course, you are using ideas that are not your own. Personally, I included citations because: i) I made reference to studies and theories that related to my topic of interest, and; ii) it asks to base our response on academic literature. Of course, this is all dependent on your writing style, so I doubt they will look at your response unfavourably if you don't use references. I hope this helps and good luck with the personal statement :) 

oh really?? i applied to UBC Vancouver advanced standing , did not aware this requirement, i made no reference in my personal statement  

10 minutes ago, MSW-Advanced Standing said:

oh really?? i applied to UBC Vancouver advanced standing , did not aware this requirement, i made no reference in my personal statement  

To my knowledge, UBC-Okanagan and UBC-Vancouver have different applications (even their personal statement questions are different), so I don’t think the UBC-O info session would be applicable to UBC-Vancouver 

Hi, I am a international applicant from mainland China. Does anyone apply to the BSW program of Dal?

I have completed the dal's MSW program application. But it turns out that BSW application is way more complicated. First, I didn't find the BSW program on the online system. Then I checked the application package which says "Applicants submit the Dalhousie Undergraduate. Application form and application fee to the Registrar’s Office. All other supporting documents should be sent to the School of Social Work."

So... does that mean I have to mail the fee and the application form to Canada separated from my application package? And I can't even find the application form through its website because the page it redirected to indicates I should create a ID on Dal Online. Btw I sent emails to them but it's still unanswered. I'm really confused and it makes my application process very arduous so I came here to see if anyone could offer some help?

Whatever help on it would be much appreciated!

9 hours ago, CaseyMSW said:

Hi, I am a international applicant from mainland China. Does anyone apply to the BSW program of Dal?

I have completed the dal's MSW program application. But it turns out that BSW application is way more complicated. First, I didn't find the BSW program on the online system. Then I checked the application package which says "Applicants submit the Dalhousie Undergraduate. Application form and application fee to the Registrar’s Office. All other supporting documents should be sent to the School of Social Work."

So... does that mean I have to mail the fee and the application form to Canada separated from my application package? And I can't even find the application form through its website because the page it redirected to indicates I should create a ID on Dal Online. Btw I sent emails to them but it's still unanswered. I'm really confused and it makes my application process very arduous so I came here to see if anyone could offer some help?

Whatever help on it would be much appreciated!

Hi! Did you try creating an account at the link https://dalonline.dal.ca/PROD/bwskalog.P_DispLoginNon  where it says First time student account creation? 

8 hours ago, T.O.hopeful said:

Hi! Did you try creating an account at the link https://dalonline.dal.ca/PROD/bwskalog.P_DispLoginNon  where it says First time student account creation? 

OMG thank u I have found the program on it!! Though it's not about first time student creation, BSW program is on a individual selection "Dal Social Work or Pharmacy(prior university required)". But still thanks a lot cuz I got to check it out again for your suggestion :)

13 hours ago, teaandSW21 said:

it's barely Jan and the waiting game is so hard lol :( 

I hear a very valid part feeling the heaviness of uncertainty & it is truly difficult.

Is there possibly a strategic part that has some backup action plans regardless of the results?

Is there possibly a part that can feel the excitement in your body when thinking about a potential backup next step? 

I trust we'll all end up where we exactly ought to be at the exact time we ought to be???

Sending every soul reading this calming energy? We'll all be ok if not more???

Edited by WhoDat

On 12/21/2021 at 8:22 PM, teaandSW21 said:

it's barely Jan and the waiting game is so hard lol :( hopefully Carleton sends out acceptances in mid-late feb? how is everyone feeling.. 

I'm feeling very squeamish this holiday season...I know universities are closed, but I'm still hoping for an email :(  So much rides on being accepted somewheres, it's difficult to have this in someone else's hands now...

Hi everyone! I applied to UofT's MSW-ITR program last year and was gutted when I was not accepted into the program following a round of interviews. I live and work in the Yukon Territory and felt that the knowledge gained from that particular program would be extremely transferrable to social work practice in my community. 

This year I decided, yet again, to only apply to one program - U of Calgary's online Clinical MSW stream. I'm doubting my decision now and wondering if I should have applied to more than one school... 

Has anyone else on this thread previously been accepted to a U of C MSW program? I finished my BSW with an 86% average, have approximately 6300 hours of paid work experience (Probation officer, youth treatment recovery worker, sexual assault response team worker, child and youth advocacy caseworker), and have some research experience through a research award during my undergrad degree. Any insight on what U of C is looking for when considering prospective applicants? 

Edited by IrisMSW-ITR

On 12/24/2021 at 1:44 PM, IrisMSW-ITR said:

Hi everyone! I applied to UofT's MSW-ITR program last year and was gutted when I was not accepted into the program following a round of interviews. I live and work in the Yukon Territory and felt that the knowledge gained from that particular program would be extremely transferrable to social work practice in my community. 

This year I decided, yet again, to only apply to one program - U of Calgary's online Clinical MSW stream. I'm doubting my decision now and wondering if I should have applied to more than one school... 

Has anyone else on this thread previously been accepted to a U of C MSW program? I finished my BSW with an 86% average, have approximately 6300 hours of paid work experience (Probation officer, youth treatment recovery worker, sexual assault response team worker, child and youth advocacy caseworker), and have some research experience through a research award during my undergrad degree. Any insight on what U of C is looking for when considering prospective applicants? 

I think in general if you can financially afford to apply to more than one program and there's more than one program that's a good fit for you, then it's always a good idea to go this route. That said, it sounds like you have a really strong application based on your experience and the fact that you got to the interview stage of UofT's program, which is arguably the hardest Canadian program to get into given how many applications they receive. I don't know anything about UofC's program but given your background/history I think you'll be a stong candidate for this program as well! :) 

As an aside, for people that applied to UofT's MSW program, are there interviews for this program? I didn't see anything on the department website indicating applicants would be interviewed. Any insight on this process would be greatly appreciated! 

4 hours ago, T.O.hopeful said:

I think in general if you can financially afford to apply to more than one program and there's more than one program that's a good fit for you, then it's always a good idea to go this route. That said, it sounds like you have a really strong application based on your experience and the fact that you got to the interview stage of UofT's program, which is arguably the hardest Canadian program to get into given how many applications they receive. I don't know anything about UofC's program but given your background/history I think you'll be a stong candidate for this program as well! :) 

As an aside, for people that applied to UofT's MSW program, are there interviews for this program? I didn't see anything on the department website indicating applicants would be interviewed. Any insight on this process would be greatly appreciated! 

hi, i was here this forum last year and did not hear any interview from successful applicants for UOFT