MSW 2022 CANADA APPLICATION FORUM

I’m kinda confused, my York application status already says “unsuccessful” but there is no other information. Last year I didn’t hear back until April so I can’t tell if this is a mistake or if it was that bad that it’s already unsuccessful lol…has this happened to anyone else?

7 hours ago, ChipDip said:

I’m kinda confused, my York application status already says “unsuccessful” but there is no other information. Last year I didn’t hear back until April so I can’t tell if this is a mistake or if it was that bad that it’s already unsuccessful lol…has this happened to anyone else?

mine is still 'decision pending' since the day that I applied...

12 hours ago, ChipDip said:

Mine also says “decision pending”

Just wondering how competitive I am for the one year master's. Applying next year. I did not have super high grades in my first bachelor's. I have an 87 average in my BSW.  It is considered 4.0 at U of T. For experienced, I have ten hours from a temporary volunteer position where I called clients in the Mental Health and Addictions unit of the community health centre, to do a patient services evaluation and feedback. Other then that I tutored French for a while. I volunteered at non-profits at my uni, ran a club as an exec and now have a research assistant position with a social work prof. The total hours is probably around 2000 for everything. 

I am planning to apply to the advanced standing programs at U of T, UWindsor, York and McGill. My top choices are U of Toronto and McGill for clinical social work. Do I stand a chance? 

On 1/14/2022 at 9:24 PM, ChipDip said:

Mine says that too... and I'm wondering the same things you are lol

5 hours ago, never stop dreaming said:

Did you reach out to admissions to see if this was an error?

I just got an email confirming the rejection so sadly I think it's legit and not an error (at least in my case).

16 minutes ago, roughclub said:

I just got an email confirming the rejection so sadly I think it's legit and not an error (at least in my case).

Oh no :( I am sorry to hear that. I had my fingers crossed for you that it was an error, I am surprised they have started this early. 

I hope that you get good news from another school soon?

Did you apply to 1 or 2 year?

3 minutes ago, never stop dreaming said:

Oh no :( I am sorry to hear that. I had my fingers crossed for you that it was an error, I am surprised they have started this early. 

I hope that you get good news from another school soon?

Did you apply to 1 or 2 year?

Thank you! I'm definitely disappointed but I'm trying to remain positive as I still have 2 other schools to hear back from and this is my first year applying.

I applied to 2 year programs. 

On 1/7/2022 at 4:45 PM, ChipDip said:

My UBC 2-year application still says “in progress” when I click on it but I have submitted all my documents that I needed and my references are done. Is this the case for others?

yeah mine says in progress too. 

15 hours ago, Cassie Bohm said:

Does anybody know where on the WLU site they will post admission decisions? Carleton has a "status" section but Laurier just brings you to your application. 

The application page stays the same until you receive their decision via email (from my experience)

On 1/14/2022 at 2:32 PM, lexiesanxious said:

Hey! Do not know if anyone has said anything but my Carleton application status changed to "recommended for assessment" so the department is now reviewing it. I am not sure when this changed because I try to only check my applications once every week or two until mid february. 

mine has said recommended for assessment for a while now too (I applied to the two year) it will change to 'in review by postdoctoral department' etc etc when they are actually reviewing it. It seems that based on previous years after you see this it is about a 3-4 day turn around for acceptances, so I have my hopes on feb 17 they will release. 

3 hours ago, MLMSW2022 said:

I don't have any news either. It's been over 8 weeks since everything has been submitted.

Same here, it's been 11 weeks since my application was complete (9 if you don't count the holiday).

Edited by Geralt

Hey everyone, just to update about the “unsuccessful” message I had on MyFile. I emailed the school and ended up having to call them and they said that if there is a notice already on MyFile, it means that you didn’t meet the admission requirements. For me they said it was my GPA wasn’t a B+ (which I know it is, and I didn’t have this issue last year). I had them reassess it since I also did courses in the fall to upgrade my GPA since my final semester was pass/fail due to studying abroad. I got an email today saying that after they reassessed it I do meet all requirements, including GPA, and that it was indeed a mistake and I am still being considered for the program. 

So long story short, if you feel something is off about your application or anything you’ve received, reach out to them!