MSW 2022 CANADA APPLICATION FORUM

On 3/1/2022 at 7:10 PM, CJackson15 said:

Hi all! I was admitted to Carleton’s 2-year MSW program and will be accepting my offer for fall 2022. I would love to hear any feedback on the program from alumni, and to connect with any new classmates!

I am also wondering what to expect in terms of school/work/life balance. I don’t expect the course load to be easy, but I would like to gage if it’s going to be possible to manage a casual PT job off-campus without compromising my academic experience. 

I also applied for the OGS and am waiting on results. Does anyone know how accepting this award would affect the funding package I was offered?  With the OGS I realize I can only work 520 hours in that year, and it may not make financial sense for me to accept the OGS if it’s going to impact the funding package I was offered in addition to work income. 

As you can tell, most of my concerns are financial right now, but I am very pleased to have been accepted :) 

If you win OGS, Carleton will add that funding on-top of your existing funding package. The 520 hour rule thing isnt an issue. There are no reporting requirements. I held OGS and worked over 520 hours in a semester, Carleton can only track your Carleton hours (TA/RAing), not whatever you do outside of school. Important note: this rule is per semester. So over the duration of the award (1 year) you can work 1560 hours, about the equivalent of a full time job. Goodluck on your OGS application!

17 hours ago, BTF said:

If you win OGS, Carleton will add that funding on-top of your existing funding package. The 520 hour rule thing isnt an issue. There are no reporting requirements. I held OGS and worked over 520 hours in a semester, Carleton can only track your Carleton hours (TA/RAing), not whatever you do outside of school. Important note: this rule is per semester. So over the duration of the award (1 year) you can work 1560 hours, about the equivalent of a full time job. Goodluck on your OGS application!

Thank you so much for the info! I did find out the only funding that could be affected is a RA (which I don’t have). I guess I just assumed where it’s associated with OSAP, they have access to the info you report to Service Canada, so thought they would find out that way! 

3 hours ago, CJackson15 said:

Thank you so much for the info! I did find out the only funding that could be affected is a RA (which I don’t have). I guess I just assumed where it’s associated with OSAP, they have access to the info you report to Service Canada, so thought they would find out that way! 

Oh, sorry, yes, it affects OSAP. Just not admissions funding.

19 hours ago, Pastalini said:

Has anyone heard from York?

I’m still waiting too. I applied to Advanced Standing PT (but truly wish I applied to FT). Ugh, waiting is terrible, I hope you hear back soon!

5 minutes ago, hopefulsomehow said:

Is anyone who was accepted to UofT advanced standing willing to say how long they have to respond to their offer? Also - does anyone know how many people typically get off the waitlist? I imagine it is not many. 

I was advised I have 4 weeks from my offer date (March 3) to pay my deposit and accept their offer. I have no idea about moves on the waitlist! Best of luck :) 

Hi There,

I'm wondering if there are folks on here who are planning to attend University of Calgary's online clinical program - or who know any current students or recent alumni? I've been accepted to that program as well as UBC and I'm waiting to hear from Laurier. Due to some health issues, I'm really feeling an online program would be best for me for more flexibility. I haven't seen many posts about University of Calgary and it makes me worried that it isn't as good a school, although I have no info to back this up. They've been really friendly and accommodating throughout the application process which I think is important and I like the idea that they do synchronous lectures online (and a few in-person residencies) rather than Laurier where it is pretty much reading and posting on your own with no synchronous or in-person opportunities.

I would love to hear people's thoughts/experiences - deciding is so hard and there is so much self-doubt!

I can't believe it, but I just got my acceptance letter from King's (2 year). I am in shock, I honestly can't believe it... I was certain I won't get in this year. I keep going back to the letter and rechecking that I read it correctly.

Good luck to everyone else who is waiting, this has been incredibly painful and I'm so glad it's over.

1 minute ago, IWantMSW said:

I can't believe it, but I just got my acceptance letter from King's (2 year). I am in shock, I honestly can't believe it... I was certain I won't get in this year. I keep going back to the letter and rechecking that I read it correctly.

Good luck to everyone else who is waiting, this has been incredibly painful and I'm so glad it's over.

same here! so excited!!!!!

57 minutes ago, IWantMSW said:

Congrats!!!!!! I still haven't received anything yet from King's (also nothing has changed on the portal), so I think I was probably declined or waitlisted for their 2-year program☹️. Hope you do not mind my asking how long applicants are supposed to respond to King's offer in their letter? 

10 minutes ago, FingerCrossedMSW2022 said:

Congrats!!!!!! I still haven't received anything yet from King's (also nothing has changed on the portal), so I think I was probably declined or waitlisted for their 2-year program☹️. Hope you do not mind my asking how long applicants are supposed to respond to King's offer in their letter? 

Hey, It's not over yet, my fingers are crossed for you in this and any other schools you've applied to!

They gave me until the end of the month to respond. Hope it helps!