MSW 2022 CANADA APPLICATION FORUM

1 hour ago, J12345 said:

My SGS still doesn't have the Admission Confirmation Form, but ACORN says invited....anyone else in the same boat?

Mine was like this yesterday morning but by evening I received the update on SGS. Usually takes a couple of hours, it may update for you by monday? :) 

17 hours ago, DD2021 said:

I've had my ACORN account as a UofT undergrad so it may be different for others - I just went to my financial account, selected the Make a Payment option and paid by credit card. On your dashboard you should also see Make a Payment button under View Invoice. Since my payment was processed already, I no longer have the Make a Payment button. If you're still having issues you should contact them after you receive the official offer. 

I did my undergrads couple years ago and I have ACORN, did you get the "invitation" on the same ACORN, mine has no changes. and did you get email from them for the invitation ?

18 hours ago, BingBongBingBong said:

What was your CV and experience like? 

I did my undergrad at UofT, it took me a while due to a bunch of life challenges that I experienced and talked about in my SOI. I also talked about my passion for social justice and social transformation. CGPA was 3.2, last two years was 3.95. So many gaps and late withdrawal without academic penalties on my transcript (started undergrad in 2013, and finished in 2021). 89 in my stats requirement. Currently doing a college diploma with a very strong social justice informed curriculum. I had around 2500 hours of experience in mental health & addictions advocacy, advisory roles, and program co-development. I've done both harm reduction and peer support work. I also have 500 hours of work experience with a social research company, where my work focuses on research & advocacy related to access to housing, food, income, and mental health & addictions services. If you need any more info please lmk :).

16 minutes ago, T.O.hopeful said:

Hi all,  I think I know the answer but just want confirmation since I can't find it anywhere, but are practicum placements unpaid? 

They are unpaid, however, depending on the field placement coordinator, you might have the ability to arrange one that is paid. But that is a big maybe. Also as mentioned by the previous comment, all depends on the school as well.

15 minutes ago, MSWfingerscrossed said:

Depends on the school. Most, yes, unfortunately

12 minutes ago, HopeisthewaytoCope said:

They are unpaid, however, depending on the field placement coordinator, you might have the ability to arrange one that is paid. But that is a big maybe. Also as mentioned by the previous comment, all depends on the school as well.

Okay, thanks! Assumed it was unpaid but just wanted to see if I could be pleasantly surprised by the opposite lol 

Anyone have any advice on how to fund an MSW? (Beyond OSAP) I didn't expect to get in so I'm a bit overwhelmed. I have no idea what I'm doing but Waterloo doesn't offer funding in their admission offers & I'm not sure if Laurier normally does. I'm out of my depth here, I don't even really know anyone who has gone to grad school lol

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

30 minutes ago, MyaDar said:

Anyone have any advice on how to fund an MSW? (Beyond OSAP) I didn't expect to get in so I'm a bit overwhelmed. I have no idea what I'm doing but Waterloo doesn't offer funding in their admission offers & I'm not sure if Laurier normally does. I'm out of my depth here, I don't even really know anyone who has gone to grad school lol

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Through my graduate program I worked as a TA. Definitely look into applying to be one if neither school offers them in their admission packages. There are also external and internal scholarships at just about every school, too. Some of these may be open to apply to already. Graduate programs are less intensive than undergraduate programs in many ways, I'd recommend looking into outside employment if neither of the above options work for you. Congrats on the offer.

5 minutes ago, StressedToTheMax said:

For those who accepted Waterloo, does anyone want to start a Facebook group? I want to discuss course layouts haha !

I accepted my offer to Waterloo and would be interested in joining a Facebook group! 

16 minutes ago, StressedToTheMax said:

For those who accepted Waterloo, does anyone want to start a Facebook group? I want to discuss course layouts haha !

For the BSW or MSW? I’m going into the BSW program in the fall:) 

3 hours ago, alwayswaytoolatemsw said:

I did my undergrads couple years ago and I have ACORN, did you get the "invitation" on the same ACORN, mine has no changes. and did you get email from them for the invitation ?

Yup I've been using the same ACORN account since undergrad and no issues with logging in/info updating. You can see the screenshot in my previous posts - I just had the "Invited" status for MSW for the fall-winter term. No official offer of admission letter yet. 

Edited by DD2021

For those who were accepted or waitlisted into UWindsor's MSWwp advanced standing program, my status change date is now a different date, is this a good sign or is there still a chance I could be rejected from the program? I hope this is a good sign. This is my second year applying and I already did not get into Waterloo or McMaster. 

1 hour ago, socialworksocialjustice said:

Hello everyone. I am a longtime lurker and hopeful applicant to UofT's MSW program.. currently waiting to hear back. I wanted to ask if I missed the deadline to apply for the Ontario Graduate Scholarship? And if I didn't, does anyone have any tips for writing the application. Good luck to everyone and thank you all.

Hello! U of T's OGS application closed sometime in late January unfortunately! 

1 hour ago, socialworksocialjustice said:

Omg, I feel really dumb for not knowing. I thought it closed in June. Does anyone have any ideas about other ways to fund an MSW outside of OSAP or any other grants or scholarships that are still open? ?

Don't feel dumb! Honestly, a lot of people didn't know, so no biggie! 
In terms of funding outside of OSAP, I really just started going to town on google tbh! It's super tedious searching and writing the essays/statements, gathering references etc but that's the only way I know how to fund mine as well atm ?

5 hours ago, socialworksocialjustice said:

Hello everyone. I am a longtime lurker and hopeful applicant to UofT's MSW program.. currently waiting to hear back. I wanted to ask if I missed the deadline to apply for the Ontario Graduate Scholarship? And if I didn't, does anyone have any tips for writing the application. Good luck to everyone and thank you all.

lol I didn't even know there was a deadline for the OGS. I am also waiting for my result. It looks dim. lol. Last name starts with R and first time applying to UofT MSW. 

8 hours ago, alwayswaytoolatemsw said:

lol I didn't even know there was a deadline for the OGS. I am also waiting for my result. It looks dim. lol. Last name starts with R and first time applying to UofT MSW. 

anyone with a last name past M have 'invited' on their acorn?