Hi everyone! 

Happy new year :) I have a silly question. Can we submit our applications if we are still waiting for references to submit their forms? Ive been waiting to submit because I am still waiting for one of my academic references. Id love to submit my application to get it off my mind and make sure that my prof summits before the deadline. If anyone can help out that would be great!

Hi all,

I am finishing up my applications for Dalhousie and UWO audiology and SLP.

I notice in the SAM section of ORPAS it mentions a CV is required, however, I see no mention of this on the western application requirements on the website. Wondering what you all did about this or if you know anything about it? 

36 minutes ago, katieroberts2794 said:

Hi all,

I am finishing up my applications for Dalhousie and UWO audiology and SLP.

I notice in the SAM section of ORPAS it mentions a CV is required, however, I see no mention of this on the western application requirements on the website. Wondering what you all did about this or if you know anything about it? 

Hi :)

They talked about the CV at the Western program day. Uploading one is totally optional and they may or may not look at it I believe. I think they said they're considering requiring one in the future.

10 hours ago, Mak SLP said:

Hi everyone! 

Happy new year :) I have a silly question. Can we submit our applications if we are still waiting for references to submit their forms? Ive been waiting to submit because I am still waiting for one of my academic references. Id love to submit my application to get it off my mind and make sure that my prof summits before the deadline. If anyone can help out that would be great!

Hello :)Happy New Year!

Which application is this for? I'm pretty sure at least for ORPAS it's totally fine to submit your application before all the referee forms are in.

7 hours ago, _waffle123 said:

Hi everyone, 

Is anyone else waiting for their references to submit? I am getting extremely anxious as it is nearing the application deadline but most profs are still on holiday break 

Yes, I am. I keep looking to see if they've submitted yet but nope. The only reference submitted is my personal one and she did so in November, bless her soul. Apparently, it's common for professors to submit their references pretty last minute. I'm also getting kinda anxious with the deadline approaching. That and the fact that the more I look at my personal statement the more I grow to hate it. Help 

14 hours ago, SoaringSLP said:

Yes, I am. I keep looking to see if they've submitted yet but nope. The only reference submitted is my personal one and she did so in November, bless her soul. Apparently, it's common for professors to submit their references pretty last minute. I'm also getting kinda anxious with the deadline approaching. That and the fact that the more I look at my personal statement the more I grow to hate it. Help 

Same here! My reference hasn't submitted yet. :( When do you think its appropriate to send a follow-up email? I don't want to rush her but I'm getting pretty anxious. 

Hey everyone! Hope you're doing well as we near the end. I was just wondering how many people/who did you ask to review your personal statement? I asked a few friends but haven't really gotten constructive feedback. Wondering who else to ask.....

8 hours ago, 2022slp said:

Hey everyone! Hope you're doing well as we near the end. I was just wondering how many people/who did you ask to review your personal statement? I asked a few friends but haven't really gotten constructive feedback. Wondering who else to ask.....

I had some close friends look at it too and their feedback was more by word of mouth. I had a friend who applied last cycle that went through my entire personal statement and wrote detailed comments and tore into it like I wanted someone to. I also had a current SLP student and a friend applying this cycle have a look at it too. They gave me some pretty helpful comments as well. So overall I had around 5 people look at it. If you'd like someone to give detailed feedback I could have a look at it for you if you like. Feel free to message me!

8 hours ago, 2022slp said:

Same here! My reference hasn't submitted yet. :( When do you think its appropriate to send a follow-up email? I don't want to rush her but I'm getting pretty anxious. 

I was thinking of sending a reminder email tomorrow because someone told me that's when many profs come back from break. Not sure if that's entirely true since I'm not currently in university right now.

9 hours ago, lostsoul said:

Hi everyone, 

I'm really contemplating if it's even worth applying to SLP with a 3.6 GPA... has anyone ever gotten in with a 3.6? 

I'd suggest looking at some of the older threads. From what I can remember in the past it was possible to get into Western with a 3.6 but I think it may be harder now as they've become so inundated with applications. I also believe it's possible to get into University of Alberta too from what I've seen on older threads! But others can attest to this. I don't want to be a downer or discourage anyone at all, but as of last cycle I did not know anyone who got into UofT with a GPA under 3.8 (this doesn't mean it isn't possible, simply just an anecdotal remark on my behalf). Both friends of mine who had a 3.7 were waitlisted at UofT and did not hear back. With a 3.6, I think it may be more difficult to get into UofT, McMaster, Dalhousie, and McGill. It would be worth trying with UofA and Western.   

3 hours ago, damaei said:

Hey ?

With everything being online after the pandemic, how did you guys find professors who are willing to be your referees?  Did you guys ask professors who you guys saw in person before the pandemic? 

Hey!! 

Both my referees are from when I completed courses online. For my university, however, we were required to attend class over Zoom so I had the opportunity to use my webcam and voice during sessions. That way, we got to know each other just as well as we would in-class. 

I don't think the admission board will be too harsh over this, seeing as a pandemic is something completely out of our control... Maybe try reflecting on courses you did really well in, and if you had the opportunity to meet/get to know the professor? I personally don't think it'll matter if you choose to ask a professor pre- or -post pandemic. 

Hi everyone, 

Will you be writing 1 huge paragraph for the statement letter, or will you be dividing it into separate paragraphs over ORPAS? I know that spaces and breaking up paragraphs counts as a character, but I was wondering if anyone knows what is preferred by admission teams. 

Also - to those applying to SLP and AUD, are you writing a completely different letter or leaving it roughly the same?

Hello everyone, 

This is my first time applying to Dalhousie and I'm wondering if we're able to check whether references were received or do we get an email once they submit it? Also for the GPA calculations is it done like ORPAS where everything is converted to GPA then averaged? 

14 hours ago, damaei said:

Hey ?

With everything being online after the pandemic, how did you guys find professors who are willing to be your referees?  Did you guys ask professors who you guys saw in person before the pandemic? 

Hello! 

I reached out to a professor that taught me in person whose office hours I had attended (not regularly, but enough for her to have known me in the class). In the original email I sent, I included past assignments just in case that would help her remember me, and also my mark in her class. I also reached out to a prof who taught me in an online class more recently, but prior to that I had attended virtual office hours and also reached out to her after the course ended (but prior to my application) for help relating to an extracurricular activity. In this email to her, I also included things that could've helped her remember me better like how I had reached out for help in my activity for an organization. 

If it helps, the first prof actually had a "reference checklist" that she uses when writing a reference letter for students. I can send you what the checklist includes so that you can include it to potential referees (if it's not too late). Just DM me if you need :)

22 hours ago, SoaringSLP said:

I'd suggest looking at some of the older threads. From what I can remember in the past it was possible to get into Western with a 3.6 but I think it may be harder now as they've become so inundated with applications. I also believe it's possible to get into University of Alberta too from what I've seen on older threads! But others can attest to this. I don't want to be a downer or discourage anyone at all, but as of last cycle I did not know anyone who got into UofT with a GPA under 3.8 (this doesn't mean it isn't possible, simply just an anecdotal remark on my behalf). Both friends of mine who had a 3.7 were waitlisted at UofT and did not hear back. With a 3.6, I think it may be more difficult to get into UofT, McMaster, Dalhousie, and McGill. It would be worth trying with UofA and Western.   

Hello! I had a 3.70 sGPA last year and I got off the waitlist for UofT (ended up not finishing with a B+ in anatomy and had to turn down). But there is hope! UofT really focuses on GPA, but do not underestimate the power behind a strong letter of intent and references. 

Edited by Justspeechie24

On 1/3/2022 at 11:35 AM, lostsoul said:

Hi everyone, 

I'm really contemplating if it's even worth applying to SLP with a 3.6 GPA... has anyone ever gotten in with a 3.6? 

Hey - yes, I did (but also got a couple rejections) :) Feel free to shoot me a message if you want any more information 

Hi friends!! Best of luck to everyone during application season! This is my second year applying and it’s such an accomplishment even just to apply to these programs :) 

Does anyone have any tips and tricks for the Casper test?! I’m taking mine tomorrow for McGill and U of A and hate to admit I have barely “studied”! I don’t think it’s really a test you need to study for, but would appreciate any tips for those of you who have taken it before!!

Thanks!!

9 hours ago, wannabe_SLP said:

Does anyone have any tips and tricks for the Casper test?!

I took it last year! My biggest piece of advice is learn how to say formally and academically, "I dont know, here are some options to find out." I found for most of the prompts, there was no clear solution and I felt stressed and inadequate lol. My biggest regret isnt preparing how to say, "comfort them, we can google the answer, we can ask a professional, do more research." Try to make that sentence as specific to the situation as possible! 

After taking the test, my take away from the casper is trying to see if you have empathy, if you can admit you dont know whats going on and ability to generate possible solutions. 

I bought a study book, bought an online module and watched a few youtube videos. I do think that if I just watched the youtube videos, that would've been more than enough to prepare me.

On 1/4/2022 at 6:10 AM, damaei said:

how did you guys find professors who are willing to be your referees?

My profs were really nice and willing to write one even though I didnt know the well! So for one I kinda talked to a few times because I helped tutor some kids in the class, so we chatted a bit though didnt really talk about academic stuff and I was never her student. But the other is a woman I had never talked to before in my life before asking for a reference lol. It was online, I never turned my camera on or spoke in class. I asked if she would write me a reference and she agreed! For both profs, I provided them with key traits relevant to the profession I wanted to highlight, my CV and the due dates. 

All in all, I dont think that its super important for you to have a relationship at all with the profs, esp if theyre sweet and just want their students to succeed. I was super worried bc I thought it was the weakest part of my application, but I applied to 7 schools total and got 4 acceptances, so it must've been enough!  

On 1/3/2022 at 2:35 PM, lostsoul said:

To add to what people have already said, the only places that I have HEARD based on this forum (so limited sample), the only places that have accepted a sGPA under 3.7 is UBC and Alberta. The people who have said this tended to have hundreds of volunteer hours, maybe a CDA degree. But be warned, they, by policy/law, reserve half of their seats for people who are from their provinces. So if you are from else where, you may be at a disadvantage as youre competing for half of the spots.