16 hours ago, DreamingofSpeech said:

I don't have any experience with this so i can't give you a yes or no answer but as a current student I don't see any reason why you wouldn't still make a good fit for a program. If the school accepts your degree as equivalent to a 4-year degree then, in theory, they should be evaluating you at the same level as everyone else. Believe me when I say your prereqs are the most relevant to the coursework and that people come from all over the place in terms of degrees and experience (I go to UofT btw). Plus, they only count your last two years (which in your case would be university level) so I don't see any reason why a person who did two years of university-level courses would automatically be in a better place than you. A lot of people that you speak to (myself included) had a rough first couple of years in uni and only began to find their way and improve in the last few years of their degrees. 

Again, it would obviously be at the discretion of the specific program whether or not they accept it as an equivalent degree but if they do I would put your best foot forward and try! Best of luck to you if you applied this year :) 

Thank you so much for your response! That was my thought process so I did apply to UofT and Western (despite not receiving an explicit yes from UofT). I just wanted to post to see if anyone else was / knew someone who was in my position who could provide a little reassurance :)

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the UofT SLP program as that is my first choice. 

Hi everyone,

I know that this time last year was VERY stressful for me, completing the applications & waiting to hear back from schools... It's funny how you think the applications are the hardest part until you finish them, then you realize it's the waiting to find out where you're going or if you're going that really gets you. Anyways, there were a few first & second year SLP students that answered questions for us last year & I know it meant the world to me, so I'd like to do the same for you this year. 

Feel free to message me any questions, I'll do my best to answer them :) 

I got an email from western yesterday and was immediately panicking until I realized it was just them sending me my western ID number lol. I'm kinda surprised at how fast January sped by and it'll be February soon. The waiting game sucks but time is going so fast that I feel like April is going to be here before we know it. I'm counting down the days till it's February and we get our subGPA calculation because I'm just hoping that I did the math right and that they don't make any errors either. Does anyone else feel like all of this is kinda surreal? I've been working towards this career goal for years and now the wait is only a few months away. Hoping the very best for everyone! Nearly there!

Edited by SoaringSLP

On 1/22/2022 at 11:47 AM, SoaringSLP said:

I got an email from western yesterday and was immediately panicking until I realized it was just them sending me my western ID number lol. I'm kinda surprised at how fast January sped by and it'll be February soon. The waiting game sucks but time is going so fast that I feel like April is going to be here before we know it. I'm counting down the days till it's February and we get our subGPA calculation because I'm just hoping that I did the math right and that they don't make any errors either. Does anyone else feel like all of this is kinda surreal? I've been working towards this career goal for years and now the wait is only a few months away. Hoping the very best for everyone! Nearly there!

YES oh my gosh - it's like you read my mind and said everything I was thinking! I calculated what I think my sub GPA for ORPAS is so many times and am hoping that that number was correct. Fingers crossed for all of us!!

18 minutes ago, SpeechieWannaB said:

Does anyone happen to know how many seats are available at the U of A this year? I couldn't find it on the website. I think last year it was in the 60s? 

That's what I thought. I assume it's the same year to year?

12 hours ago, SLPwonder said:

For people who applied to UofA, does anybody else's application status says "pre-screening" still?

If I recall correctly the status on the portal either wasn't updated at all or wasn't updated till quite late in the review process last year. Things can change year to year but I wouldn't spend too much time checking it haha 

5 hours ago, neuroling said:

If I recall correctly the status on the portal either wasn't updated at all or wasn't updated till quite late in the review process last year. Things can change year to year but I wouldn't spend too much time checking it haha 

Good to know! I'm kinda being paranoid about it lol.

Do we need to click submit or anything?

Hi there, I hope everyones applications are going well!! I have a couple last minute questions about Alberta. I was wondering, could anyone please confirm that when we upload our letter of intent, resume, and pre-requisite course list that we do so in the spots that say Department Check 1, Department check 2, and Department check 3 (and if the order matters)? As well, if we have to upload a new transcript with updates to our courses / grades does anyone know how we do that? 

Does anyone know if the deadline for UofA references is a hard cut-off today or if they continue to accept them late? I just realized one of my references hasn't submitted their letter yet and I'm panicking! 

On 1/30/2022 at 11:07 PM, SLPwonder said:

For people who applied to UofA, does anybody else's application status says "pre-screening" still?

Mine is still pre-screening... and it was most of last year as well until the end. In fact, I had notice of a decision made on my application before they changed it to decision lol. So, as Neuroling aptly stated, I wouldn't worry too much ?

3 hours ago, UnderLing21 said:

Does anyone know if the deadline for UofA references is a hard cut-off today or if they continue to accept them late? I just realized one of my references hasn't submitted their letter yet and I'm panicking! 

As far as I know, it's a hard cut off. 

Have you spoken to your reference? They have until midnight I believe. 

I was panicking on the weekend thinking Feb 1st was Monday, but my referee submitted it Sun. So I feel your pain. 

I'd just "gently" remind them and check in with them ASAP! 

16 hours ago, hopefulslper said:

Hi there, I hope everyones applications are going well!! I have a couple last minute questions about Alberta. I was wondering, could anyone please confirm that when we upload our letter of intent, resume, and pre-requisite course list that we do so in the spots that say Department Check 1, Department check 2, and Department check 3 (and if the order matters)? As well, if we have to upload a new transcript with updates to our courses / grades does anyone know how we do that? 

Department check 1 is Resume 

Department check 2 is Letter of Intent 

Department check 3 is Prep course list 

3 minutes ago, SpeechieWannaB said:

Unsure....

I uploaded everything and submitted it all at the sametime Jan 6, and this was the order. ?‍♀️ Maybe contact Vicki? 

Ohhhh did it tell you which ones to upload first ? Because on mine it just says "department check 1" :o and yeah good idea ill shoot her an Email

24 minutes ago, SLPwonder said:

Ohhhh did it tell you which ones to upload first ? Because on mine it just says "department check 1" :o and yeah good idea ill shoot her an Email

It did state the order before I submitted it.

Now it just lists them as dept checks 1-3. 

It's like they make this the most agonizing experience on purpose lol ?

Edited by SpeechieWannaB

5 minutes ago, SpeechieWannaB said:

It did state the order before I submitted it.

Now it just lists them as dept checks 1-3. 

It's like they purposely make this the most agonizing experience on purpose lol ?

Ohhh that makes sense, sooo weird though

And yeah totally ... ? I can still change the order but I'm scared something like technical difficulties might happen hahaha I might just leave it as it is since it doesn't specify it anyways

4 hours ago, SpeechieWannaB said:

Department check 1 is Resume 

Department check 2 is Letter of Intent 

Department check 3 is Prep course list 

Thank you so much!! Much appreciated, I forsure would have done this wrong ? Do

es anyone happen to know where we can upload another transcript if ours has been updated?