1 hour ago, HanktheTank8 said:

Hey, I am still waiting but I am assuming that I have been rejected because people have posted about getting waitlisted and accepted already. 

Yeah, I think is is safe to assume now that is the case.. I still haven't as well..

1 hour ago, speechenthusiast said:

Has anyone else heard from dal? I know one person here did but I wanna know if it’s safe to say that I’m rejected if I haven’t heard yet or if maybe they are still sending our acceptances, because I know someone else said they continue until mid April. 

Hey! I know one person in here said that they've already heard but I wouldn't worry yet. Maybe since they applied to Audiology as well the timeline was sooner? When I got my confirmation email from Dal it said "We are pleased to let you know that your application is considered complete and has been passed onto the school’s admissions committee for review. You will be informed in April at this email address of their decision.", so since it's not April yet I wouldn't stress. So much easier said than done though!!

13 hours ago, stressedschwa2022 said:

Hey! I know one person in here said that they've already heard but I wouldn't worry yet. Maybe since they applied to Audiology as well the timeline was sooner? When I got my confirmation email from Dal it said "We are pleased to let you know that your application is considered complete and has been passed onto the school’s admissions committee for review. You will be informed in April at this email address of their decision.", so since it's not April yet I wouldn't stress. So much easier said than done though!!

Yeah you are definitely right. I think I was just panicking a bit yesterday hahaha, the wait is killing me. Thank you for your reassurance! 

On 3/21/2022 at 6:42 AM, speechiestudent said:

thanks for the info! do you mind me asking your stats? I see that you were accepted to U of A and UBC last year!

On 3/21/2022 at 6:48 AM, hopefulslper said:

I was also curious, if you are comfortable sharing @neuroling :)

Hey! I'm a little late on this but please feel free to DM and I'm happy to share more information :)

@SLPPLS101 I applied to several American schools just in case and thankfully have heard back from all of them and got into a couple pretty competitive programs! If I don't get in to one of the Canadian schools I applied to, I'll likely go to the states. However, I'd obviously prefer staying in Canada if I can because of the cost would be much lower. Friday can't come soon enough. ?

1 hour ago, SLP_hopeful123 said:

@SLPPLS101 I applied to several American schools just in case and thankfully have heard back from all of them and got into a couple pretty competitive programs! If I don't get in to one of the Canadian schools I applied to, I'll likely go to the states. However, I'd obviously prefer staying in Canada if I can because of the cost would be much lower. Friday can't come soon enough. ?

Congratulations!! Is there any particular American schools that are good for Canadian applicants? I'm pretty familiar with Minot already.

22 minutes ago, SpeechieAlly said:

Congratulations!! Is there any particular American schools that are good for Canadian applicants? I'm pretty familiar with Minot already.

I applied to the University of Maine and got accepted! I liked their program because they allowed you to take prerequisites at the same time as you do your masters, while other schools (like SUNY Plattsburgh which I also applied to) need you to do a post bac program if you do not have the prereqs which does not guarantee admission to the program the year after.

It sucks because in Canada we do not have the CSD bachelor's so some courses that are required by ASHA are really hard to attend here! I would suggest looking into school that would allow you do some prereqs at the same time as your masters like Maine so your living costs are lower to make up for the high tuition! Also, look into graduate assistantships to try to get some extra money to help pay off the tuition! 

Good luck, I hope this helps!! :)  

6 hours ago, SLPPLS101 said:

Is anyone considering going overseas if they do not get in anywhere in Canada? 

I completed a second Bachelors in CDIS over the course of a year through ENMU (as a means of completing the leveling courses that the US requires) and received Provisonal Acceptance to their Masters. Their Masters is online and extremely flexible (with the exception of 1 semester on campus for your first clinical). After that, your clincials can be done in Canada provided they are supervised by an ASHA certified SLP. It was my plan B if I didn't make the cut for the U of A, as I have young kiddos and couldn't move permanently. Also, ENMU is one of the most affordable Masters I found. ? 

I still definitely recommend checking out the Post-Bacc program in CSD at Minot State University! I did that this past year and it got my GPA up and gave me lots of clinical experience which helped me get into U of A this year. And the priority admission into their SLP program is an amazing back-up choice!

1 hour ago, MELSLP99 said:

I applied to the University of Maine and got accepted! I liked their program because they allowed you to take prerequisites at the same time as you do your masters, while other schools (like SUNY Plattsburgh which I also applied to) need you to do a post bac program if you do not have the prereqs which does not guarantee admission to the program the year after.

It sucks because in Canada we do not have the CSD bachelor's so some courses that are required by ASHA are really hard to attend here! I would suggest looking into school that would allow you do some prereqs at the same time as your masters like Maine so your living costs are lower to make up for the high tuition! Also, look into graduate assistantships to try to get some extra money to help pay off the tuition! 

Good luck, I hope this helps!! :)  

Thank you so much for your answer!

5 hours ago, SLP_hopeful123 said:

But also, how is Friday arriving so soon? I'm going to be an absolute mess this whole week ? 

9 hours ago, ewdavid said:

I still definitely recommend checking out the Post-Bacc program in CSD at Minot State University! I did that this past year and it got my GPA up and gave me lots of clinical experience which helped me get into U of A this year. And the priority admission into their SLP program is an amazing back-up choice!

were you able to complete it online? Or is it an in-person program?

1 hour ago, ElsaNotFrozen said:

were you able to complete it online? Or is it an in-person program?

I was able to complete it online this year due to covid, but I'm assuming it'll be back to in-person only next year. This year I missed many opportunities in the on-campus CSD clinic, so there are definitely benefits to attending in-person!

6 minutes ago, SpeechieAlly said:

Has anyone heard from anywhere yet today?? I don’t think I’ve ever been so desperate before ?

I emailed Dalhousie today and they said we can start hearing now through April! So I’m assuming Friday will be the day to hear from schools? I can’t take the wait 

Question for those who have been rejected last year and admitted this year:

what experience would you say made you that much more competitive the second year around? After seeing the reality of the admission process I still have little faith with my remaining application, but also trying to be realistic in that I do want to be better prepared if I need to make a second bout of applications next year. 

I was planning on doing a minor in cognitive science, since my background is more revolving around linguistics and literature. I work in a hospital with elderly patients and also volunteer with homework help. This summer I plan on working alongside patients presenting aphasia. 

thank you in advance!

Edited by RLSpine
typo

6 minutes ago, RLSpine said:

Question for those who have been rejected last year and admitted this year:

what experience would you say made you that much more competitive the second year around? After seeing the reality of the admission process I still have little faith with my remaining application, but also trying to be realistic in that I do want to be better prepared if I need to make a second bout of applications next year. 

I was planning on doing a minor in cognitive science, since my background is more revolving around linguistics and literature. I work in a hospital with elderly patients and also volunteer with homework help. This summer I plan on working alongside patients presenting aphasia. 

thank you in advance!

Where did you apply this year 

Just now, Futureslper said:

Where did you apply this year 

McGill & University of Montreal. Next year planning on applying everywhere offering it in quebec and maybe U of ottawa since I prefer learning in french.

Hey All, 

First time poster but have been lurking this past year. I applied to U of A and have yet to hear back, trying to stay hopeful but be realistic and look at some plan B options for my year. I was thinking of applying to University of Montana's Post Bacc program for CDS to have a stronger application for next year both back in Alberta and potentially abroad. I saw that some of you have taken classes abroad and was wondering if you could share anything with me as far as experiences or transfer guide (proving to be difficult!). 

Thank you everyone! Comforting to find a little SLP student hopefuls community here :)

21 hours ago, SLP_hopeful123 said:

Which American schools did you apply to? I am thinking of doing the same next year if I do not get in this year!