MFA 2022 Freak Out Forum

Michelle Santa Cruz

1 hour ago, The-Fourth-Dimension said:

Any other sculptors up in here??? I know that a grip of you are painters, and a couple of you shot me some cool stuff you're doing in new media. That's awesome! 

BUT WHERE MY 3D DESIGN PEOPLE AT???

ConfusedPaltryGander-max-1mb.gif

If I had applied this time last year I would've applied under sculpture/new genres for most schools, but now am applying as a painter even though I dont necessarily work with paint... i've become more 2D over the past year due to space limitations of my studio

1 hour ago, tmng said:

If I had applied this time last year I would've applied under sculpture/new genres for most schools, but now am applying as a painter even though I don't necessarily work with paint... i've become more 2D over the past year due to space limitations of my studio

I FEEL this right here, my dood!!! That's interesting you're applying as a painter but you're a sculptor. Yeah, these past two years have been sorta crazy in the arts, right? Since COVID I've had to stay inside a lot more because I'm a caregiver. I spend limited amounts of time at my studio because it's also a few other peoples studios connected that all have their own ideas of how when where and why to mask up. A few weeks ago a bunch of peeps who work at the studio goth the Rona, so they shut it down for a couple weeks.

Like you, I've taken up some more painting, lately, and I do it in my apartment. It's cool because I have high ceilings and really tall windows, but it's a small flat, square footage wise, which is kinda wack.

I've done some restorative painting and some murals, but painting is not my thing like sculpture is. Are you down to share some of your sculpture work with me? For some reason this year people are all sketched out about sharing their work or even identities unless it's in private. So bizarre. I think it's also because a couple of these accounts might be the same person. It was like that last year, and the year before that, too.

If you want to share your work you can pm/dm me. That's what other artists on the board have been doing. I'll keep your identity on the low.

I've been taking up painting mood textures. It's lazy, but it keeps me creative when I can't be at the studio. I was going around for a while with this girl that did a lot of moody texture painting, but really colorful like her mood. I ripped off what she was doing but when I do the mood painting it comes out all gloomy. LOL!!! Here's a pic of a couple pieces I'm working on, right nao.

Which university did you apply at?

Painting-DONE.png

Adding to the conversation to stand in solidarity with those who are already feeling anxious lol. For those who don't know, painter here. Already submitted all applications to: Stanford, UCLA, and Yale. 

This is also my second time around, since I wasn't happy in the program I initially accepted an offer from in 2020. Really don't foresee myself wanting to apply for a third time.. too much work and stress. Hoping for the best this time around, for myself and you all.  

xoxo

2 hours ago, tmng said:

If I had applied this time last year I would've applied under sculpture/new genres for most schools, but now am applying as a painter even though I dont necessarily work with paint... i've become more 2D over the past year due to space limitations of my studio

I'm in the exact same boat as you-- it's definitely a funny place to be (saving money for grad school= forgoing studio space/making big work). I applied to sculpture programs last year with an almost entirely paint/print based portfolio and no one gave me a hard time about it. I was even told at one that I had the strongest portfolio out of all of the applicants who applied with legit sculpture.. I think it really just comes down to what you want to study. If you actually do want to apply for sculpture, but are hesitant only because of the content of your portfolio, I think there are ways around this in your statement and interviews. If you want to DM me and chat further I can share some of my experience from last year. I am applying to a mix of photography, painting/print, and sculpture programs this year, so it's really just based on where you think your work would grow the most. They have to understand how fluid sculpture and painting can be, and if they don't.. then it's not going to be the program for you!

Edited by katfude5

13 hours ago, 123123435 said:

How's everyone doing with the apps? Appreciated the conversation before about how this year's activity isn't necessarily less but it does seem quiet on this forum. I put it one application this year and wrapped that up on Monday ... Not sure what to think all in all, but glad to have my hat in this round again

Surprisingly, I worked really hard to get all my 8 schools applications done early. I was able to finish before the holidays on most of my apps. 

Now it's just the waiting game, and preparing for any interviews I might receive. 

Hey, everyone, I started to hear a couple days ago on Instagram that at least some programs here at VCU (Kinetic Imaging, Photo/Film, Graphic Design) are extending their deadlines. It now seems to be the case for all VCU MFA programs. I'm guessing a lot of applicants have asked for extensions this year, so it wouldn't hurt to ask for extensions from other schools, too, if you need them. 

VCU's deadline had been Jan 15, but now it is Feb 1. You might want to double-check with specific programs, but it seems to be Feb 1 for everything according to this page https://arts.vcu.edu/admissions/how-to-apply/graduate-applicants/

"Step 1: Review your deadlines ... February 1 ...
MFA in Fine Arts (Ceramics, Glassworking, Jewelry/Metalworking, Kinetic Imaging, Painting, Printmaking, Photography and Film, Sculpture) ..."

Hopefully maybe that helps if anyone was freaking out about that deadline? Maybe that helps you get one more application in?

I got my MFA in VCUarts Kinetic Imaging last spring. I took classes with faculty and students in pretty much every program (sculpture, painting, photo, graphic design, etc etc) so hit me up if you have any questions about VCU. I also got accepted at several other great schools, so if you've got general last minute questions or questions about other schools I applied to, let me know, I am happy to help as others helped me when I was applying.

Good luck, everyone.

Hey everyone! I haven't posted at all this year, but I'm really stoked to be applying this year. I applied to University of South Florida, Florida State, University of Florida, Bard, Syracuse, Laguna College of Art, and Maine College of Art. I'm panicking about getting in so I picked a lot of programs to apply to this year. Bard already has my info from applying last year and they really liked my work last year so I am reapplying. I hope the faculty doesn't walk out again? I found the Bard MFA meme page and I'm a little frightened tbh. Not sure what happened there? The focus of my practice at the moment is painting, but I did start to get into installation work pre-covid and want to dig into that for grad school when I have more time/support. I currently manage a gallery and coffee house in St. Augustine, FL and sell body jewelry on Etsy. I hope everyone gets in where they want to go and good luck finishing up final touches on your applications! ?

4 hours ago, Antisocialprintmaker said:

Hey everyone! I haven't posted at all this year, but I'm really stoked to be applying this year! ?

MEEEE TOOOOOO!!!!!! LOL! It's kool to see some ENERGY in the forums!!! 

So your focus is on painting, and right now you're into installation art, but your name is Anti-Social Printmaker? PERFECT!!! You're hired! ?

Are you into sharing your art? I like to share mine. The link is somewhere in my sig. I ask people to share theirs with me, but most avatars don't even want to show their identity, much less their art; so no worries if not.

I looked up "Bard Art College MFA+Memes" in the Google image search but the memes were mostly about lute playing bards from the old days and the video games. But then I did a regular search and found a site called, "Meme Lab." "THE BARD MEMETICS LABORATORY (BARD MEME LAB) is an interdisciplinary research group focusing on digital memes, online media, and content dissemination."

I checked out their videos and work and it reminded me too much of The Guerrilla Girls, not memes. Years ago I went to a Guerrilla Girls exhibition and one of their lectures, they aight. But like the Bard "memes," way too wordy. Memes are supposed to be concise and to the point, slapstick, not lectures. But, eh... Whatever brings one joy.

That is what you're talking about, yeah? Ha ha! When I talk to non-artist people who I'm just getting acquainted with and I introduce myself as an artist, this is the kind of thing that a lot of people assume that artists do in school and practice. And they're not totally wrong. In my opinion, far too much time is spent on theoretical yakity yak yak that would be better served in the studio doing artist stuff, or just calling yourself a philosopher, instead. But, hey, it's fun, I get it I get it. The memes college, LOL!!! That's rad. ?

It would be awesome if you get into the EXACT school your HEART desires. BEST OF LUCK!!!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR8Z_fRY6wMwZj7ZbIEnrq

10 hours ago, Antisocialprintmaker said:

Hey everyone! I haven't posted at all this year, but I'm really stoked to be applying this year. I applied to University of South Florida, Florida State, University of Florida, Bard, Syracuse, Laguna College of Art, and Maine College of Art. I'm panicking about getting in so I picked a lot of programs to apply to this year. Bard already has my info from applying last year and they really liked my work last year so I am reapplying. I hope the faculty doesn't walk out again? I found the Bard MFA meme page and I'm a little frightened tbh. Not sure what happened there? The focus of my practice at the moment is painting, but I did start to get into installation work pre-covid and want to dig into that for grad school when I have more time/support. I currently manage a gallery and coffee house in St. Augustine, FL and sell body jewelry on Etsy. I hope everyone gets in where they want to go and good luck finishing up final touches on your applications! ?

Oh cool, i am also a reapplyer for Bard. I understand there's a lot of transition happening, but it still seems like a great place. Any others applying?

23 hours ago, Antisocialprintmaker said:

I’m applying to MECA as well! Love to see it!

Friendly reminder that some schools require official transcripts to be sent directly to them, as well as the unofficial ones that you provide. A lot don't ask for them until you get in, but a couple of schools I applied to require them with the app and I almost missed the fine print! 

I hope everyone is doing well and wish you all luck!

1 hour ago, Strawberrycat said:

Friendly reminder that some schools require official transcripts to be sent directly to them, as well as the unofficial ones that you provide. A lot don't ask for them until you get in, but a couple of schools I applied to require them with the app and I almost missed the fine print! 

I hope everyone is doing well and wish you all luck!

Also if you took one or two classes at other schools-- even if they appear on the transcript from where you graduated from! I almost missed Tyler's deadline last year because they requested an official transcript from the community college that I took a summer COMP class from on the last day. 

1 minute ago, katfude5 said:

Also if you took one or two classes at other schools-- even if they appear on the transcript from where you graduated from! I almost missed Tyler's deadline last year because they requested an official transcript from the community college that I took a summer COMP class from on the last day. 

Yes, this!! Jeez, that's so scary over one class! 

12 hours ago, Strawberrycat said:

Friendly reminder that some schools require official transcripts to be sent directly to them, as well as the unofficial ones that you provide.

GOOD LOOKIN OUT!!!

? YUP! I just figured this out a couple days ago with Stanford WAY after I paid the $120.00 bux for the app and the $10 or $15 or whatever it was for the Slide Room, and even emailed the faculty directly. I learned that I should ALWAYS read EVERYTHING, because schools aren't the same across the board. 

With Stanford you have to upload your unofficial transcripts to the last couple colleges you attended, that's a given across the board. I thought that was it and you give them your officials if they contact you. I JUST figured out that the CertiFile thing needs to be done IMMEDIATELY.

I, like many others, am living very close to the bone, and at this point I can't reconcile another $50.00 for CertiFile after I already blew $135.00 for the other stuff. It would just be throwing away almost $200.00 bux. That sucks, and it's disheartening. It's all my fault and I own it. Still, tho... ?

I also blew it with the letters of recommendation for Stanford. I had two recommenders that are Stanford MFA grads, one Harvard grad, and two of my professors from CSUS. I know it said only put in THREE LOR's, but Stanford gives you SIX spots! So, I put in five to be all kool. C'MON NOW!!!

But that's not what I messed up on. I'm okay with that and I bet Stanford is. What I messed up on was the submission date for the LOR's. EVERYTHING was due December 1st, including LOR's. That was DUMB to turn in my thing on the due date. My first LOR went in on the second of Dec. The rest of them went in WEEKS after. The UC is mostly different except for Berkeley, same with USC. You can turn your stuff in and LOR's go in later.

Fuck it. Live and learn... I'm doing my MFA this round no matter what. I can't do another season of this. It gives me too much of those anxieties. ?

Edited by The-Fourth-Dimension
GOOD LOOKIN OUT!!!

7 hours ago, The-Fourth-Dimension said:

GOOD LOOKIN OUT!!!

? YUP! I just figured this out a couple days ago with Stanford WAY after I paid the $120.00 bux for the app and the $10 or $15 or whatever it was for the Slide Room, and even emailed the faculty directly. I learned that I should ALWAYS read EVERYTHING, because schools aren't the same across the board. 

With Stanford you have to upload your unofficial transcripts to the last couple colleges you attended, that's a given across the board. I thought that was it and you give them your officials if they contact you. I JUST figured out that the CertiFile thing needs to be done IMMEDIATELY.

I, like many others, am living very close to the bone, and at this point I can't reconcile another $50.00 for CertiFile after I already blew $135.00 for the other stuff. It would just be throwing away almost $200.00 bux. That sucks, and it's disheartening. It's all my fault and I own it. Still, tho... ?

I also blew it with the letters of recommendation for Stanford. I had two recommenders that are Stanford MFA grads, one Harvard grad, and two of my professors from CSUS. I know it said only put in THREE LOR's, but Stanford gives you SIX spots! So, I put in five to be all kool. C'MON NOW!!!

But that's not what I messed up on. I'm okay with that and I bet Stanford is. What I messed up on was the submission date for the LOR's. EVERYTHING was due December 1st, including LOR's. That was DUMB to turn in my thing on the due date. My first LOR went in on the second of Dec. The rest of them went in WEEKS after. The UC is mostly different except for Berkeley, same with USC. You can turn your stuff in and LOR's go in later.

Fuck it. Live and learn... I'm doing my MFA this round no matter what. I can't do another season of this. It gives me too much of those anxieties. ?

Your transcripts cost $50?! That's awful, I have to submit them from two schools and one cost $2.50 for electronic copies and one costs $10 for mailed copies. 

Yeah, it's easy to skip over things accidentally when the info all starts to look the same and blend together when you're looking at so many apps. 

On 1/14/2022 at 4:20 AM, The-Fourth-Dimension said:

MEEEE TOOOOOO!!!!!! LOL! It's kool to see some ENERGY in the forums!!! 

So your focus is on painting, and right now you're into installation art, but your name is Anti-Social Printmaker? PERFECT!!! You're hired! ?

Are you into sharing your art? I like to share mine. The link is somewhere in my sig. I ask people to share theirs with me, but most avatars don't even want to show their identity, much less their art; so no worries if not.

I looked up "Bard Art College MFA+Memes" in the Google image search but the memes were mostly about lute playing bards from the old days and the video games. But then I did a regular search and found a site called, "Meme Lab." "THE BARD MEMETICS LABORATORY (BARD MEME LAB) is an interdisciplinary research group focusing on digital memes, online media, and content dissemination."

I checked out their videos and work and it reminded me too much of The Guerrilla Girls, not memes. Years ago I went to a Guerrilla Girls exhibition and one of their lectures, they aight. But like the Bard "memes," way too wordy. Memes are supposed to be concise and to the point, slapstick, not lectures. But, eh... Whatever brings one joy.

That is what you're talking about, yeah? Ha ha! When I talk to non-artist people who I'm just getting acquainted with and I introduce myself as an artist, this is the kind of thing that a lot of people assume that artists do in school and practice. And they're not totally wrong. In my opinion, far too much time is spent on theoretical yakity yak yak that would be better served in the studio doing artist stuff, or just calling yourself a philosopher, instead. But, hey, it's fun, I get it I get it. The memes college, LOL!!! That's rad. ?

It would be awesome if you get into the EXACT school your HEART desires. BEST OF LUCK!!!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR8Z_fRY6wMwZj7ZbIEnrq

So their meme page is on Instagram and the username was just funny to me. I did a lot of print before covid, but its very hard to do lithographs or installation work without the proper setup. So my goals in grad school are to work on those pretty heavy, but I'm applying with painting everywhere, because it's my strongest work and what I get into shows with/have gallery representation for. Good luck to you too!

Here's my website if anyone wants to look and I heard back from Laguna College of Art and they said they'll give me an admission decision and scholarship decision next week ?

https://www.hannahkeatsartwork.com

16 minutes ago, Antisocialprintmaker said:

So their meme page is on Instagram and the username was just funny to me. I did a lot of print before covid, but its very hard to do lithographs or installation work without the proper setup. So my goals in grad school are to work on those pretty heavy, but I'm applying with painting everywhere, because it's my strongest work and what I get into shows with/have gallery representation for. Good luck to you too!

Here's my website if anyone wants to look and I heard back from Laguna College of Art and they said they'll give me an admission decision and scholarship decision next week ?

Really nice work- I think you'd be an amazing fit for LCAD based on everything I've seen from them! 

42 minutes ago, Antisocialprintmaker said:

Holy moley! Dude, you're a BAD-ASS. Those are absolutely beautiful. You will get in where you want to go fasho. 

The one with the hands gripping the body, Persiphone, and the blue color-field Rothko inspired piece, Balcony, are fantasique! The psychedelic acid trip eyes and bugs and brains are just plain rad.

Bravo. ??

On 1/12/2022 at 2:31 PM, The-Fourth-Dimension said:

I FEEL this right here, my dood!!! That's interesting you're applying as a painter but you're a sculptor. Yeah, these past two years have been sorta crazy in the arts, right? Since COVID I've had to stay inside a lot more because I'm a caregiver. I spend limited amounts of time at my studio because it's also a few other peoples studios connected that all have their own ideas of how when where and why to mask up. A few weeks ago a bunch of peeps who work at the studio goth the Rona, so they shut it down for a couple weeks.

Like you, I've taken up some more painting, lately, and I do it in my apartment. It's cool because I have high ceilings and really tall windows, but it's a small flat, square footage wise, which is kinda wack.

I've done some restorative painting and some murals, but painting is not my thing like sculpture is. Are you down to share some of your sculpture work with me? For some reason this year people are all sketched out about sharing their work or even identities unless it's in private. So bizarre. I think it's also because a couple of these accounts might be the same person. It was like that last year, and the year before that, too.

If you want to share your work you can pm/dm me. That's what other artists on the board have been doing. I'll keep your identity on the low.

I've been taking up painting mood textures. It's lazy, but it keeps me creative when I can't be at the studio. I was going around for a while with this girl that did a lot of moody texture painting, but really colorful like her mood. I ripped off what she was doing but when I do the mood painting it comes out all gloomy. LOL!!! Here's a pic of a couple pieces I'm working on, right nao.

Which university did you apply at?

Apologies for the late reply, I don't really check this website often. But yes, would be down to share! And will DM you :)

I might not be a painter anymore in the "traditional" sense, but I used to be one. I graduated from undergrad as a painting major, but abandoned paint almost entirely about a year and half into the program and switched to sculptural work, although I continued to make a lot of drawings like the other painters. so I actually feel really comfortable applying to painting mfa programs haha. i've applied to yale, saic, hunter, and columbia. I don't think i'll be expanding beyond those four this year, don't really have the time or money at the moment.

Thanks for sharing images of your paintings as well! Love to see it, really beautiful and stoic ❤️

On 1/12/2022 at 4:04 PM, katfude5 said:

I'm in the exact same boat as you-- it's definitely a funny place to be (saving money for grad school= forgoing studio space/making big work). I applied to sculpture programs last year with an almost entirely paint/print based portfolio and no one gave me a hard time about it. I was even told at one that I had the strongest portfolio out of all of the applicants who applied with legit sculpture.. I think it really just comes down to what you want to study. If you actually do want to apply for sculpture, but are hesitant only because of the content of your portfolio, I think there are ways around this in your statement and interviews. If you want to DM me and chat further I can share some of my experience from last year. I am applying to a mix of photography, painting/print, and sculpture programs this year, so it's really just based on where you think your work would grow the most. They have to understand how fluid sculpture and painting can be, and if they don't.. then it's not going to be the program for you!

thank you, i actually am really curious about your experience. I'm done applying for programs this year for now, but would still love to hear more, especially if i need to reapply to programs next year. will DM u !

You guys are ALL so freakin GOOD!!!!!

TMNG is tight with the threads and incredible residencies and exhibitions. My boy Pickle has the supafly nu-media thing going on. Hannah is crazy with the color, imagination, and detail. Slick Jake, have you seen his prints? The dood is for realz! Homegirl Kate Flake has those ill draped cut-paper mono's. Ya girl Sīxíng is breaking off these ink and polystyrene creations, she ain't playin. 

@Pickle95@slickjaketheruler@kaflake@xu6ing@tmng

There are others too but that's just off the top of my head.

I'm glad I don't have to compete with most of you for a grad seat. I wouldn't want to.

@Antisocialprintmaker Oh, Hannah... You mentioned the Laguna College of Art. I always say to people who are considering a school in California to just do it. Two years ago my niece got into some good schools including Harvard and Stanford. When thinking about this, it's a no-brainer. Stanford for sure. Why? Because it's in California.

My buddy Dylan used to always say he loves living here because "California is the edge of the world. It's where everything starts, and where everything ends. California is the alpha and omega, the Yin and Yang." Dylan was messed up and crazy as hell, but he was right. As an artist who intends to produce on the broad scale, spending time in California, especially in your youth, is a MUST. No pressure, no judgement, jus my opinion, jus-sayin.

Plus, dood, Laguna Beach is FAB. I grew up south of there in San Diego, and as beautiful as SD is, Laguna Beach is next level. Plus you've got San Diego, L.A., Mexico, the desert, the mountains, the beach, SO many kinds of different foods and cultures. It's the biz. 

AND YOU'VE GOT CHICANOS HERE. C'MON NAO! We're the best evar for food and FUN! ????

Has anyone heard anything back from UC San Diego or UC Irvine??? LET'S GOOOOO!!!!!!!!! ?

200w.gif