MFA 2022 Freak Out Forum

Michelle Santa Cruz

16 hours ago, tmng said:

Interviewed with Yale this past week, and it started off just ok but ended decently, and that's when i felt i really started to connect to my interviewers, towards the end.

It's my first time applying to MFA programs and this was my first interview so far, so I'm trying to not think about my slip-ups too much and focus more on what I did well, but it's difficult!!  guess I'll find out the results soon enough. Regardless i'm still happy to have made it this far, and will take what i learned into my next interview, which is with Hunter in two weeks.

Hi tmng, I have an interview with Yale on Wednesday too, and I can’t help but be nervous about it :’) !

If you don’t mind sharing, how many people attended the interview? and what was the dynamic of the interview like (question/answer or more friendly/conversational?) 

Good luck with your interview! 

sending positive thoughts  to whoever is reading, we’re almost there ☉(๑ • ̀ ㅂ • ́) ง ✧☉

24 minutes ago, Faxma said:

Hi tmng, I have an interview with Yale on Wednesday too, and I can’t help but be nervous about it :’) !

If you don’t mind sharing, how many people attended the interview? and what was the dynamic of the interview like (question/answer or more friendly/conversational?) 

Good luck with your interview! 

sending positive thoughts  to whoever is reading, we’re almost there ☉(๑ • ̀ ㅂ • ́) ง ✧☉

Hi hi :)

2 people interviewed me, and I knew who it was gonna be ahead of time; they let me know via email. The dynamic was not super formal or anything, but definitely question/answer at first and then it got more conversational as it kept going, especially towards the end.

Edited by tmng

Can anyone share their experience with an acceptance letter that gives no whiff of financial support or TAships? Also, the polite way to ask about these things given the emphasis that was placed on these opportunities by the interviewer? Is this normal? Is this shared in a separate letter? It’s my first application, first interview, first letter. I feel like a noob. 

I feel like I read somewhere here it’s a soft rejection. 

53 minutes ago, whitewhales said:

Can anyone share their experience with an acceptance letter that gives no whiff of financial support or TAships? Also, the polite way to ask about these things given the emphasis that was placed on these opportunities by the interviewer? Is this normal? Is this shared in a separate letter? It’s my first application, first interview, first letter. I feel like a noob. 

I feel like I read somewhere here it’s a soft rejection. 

I had this situation with MECA last year. I just sent a quick email to the graduate admissions counselor asking if I had received some sort of scholarship based off of my portfolio/interview. A lot of times that comes through in the mail or will be a separate letter you will receive in your online portal. Sometimes it takes asking the counselor to email your acceptance stuff to see where you stand. 

As far as asking about funding and fellowships during an interview, there's a time and place to ask about that stuff. I personally try to ask the graduates or the admissions counselor about how the funding for the program works before and after my interview. The interview should really be focused on your work, and what the university has to offer for you. A lot of times for some of the big named schools (MICA, SAIC, RISD, etc.), the interview is a really important component of the process that determines who gets nominated for a scholarship. It really is about the conversation that you have with the faculty, whether they think you are a beneficial fit for the program, and how engaging and interesting you can be in the mix of a cohort. I have had interviewers bring up the funding during the interview which at that point I felt comfortable talking about it and asking how that works. But I wouldn't until post interview or through research.

It doesn't hurt to ask an admissions counselor; in fact, it's kind of their job to make sure you have that information. It's not rude or impolite to ask them if you received any sort of aid in the form of fellowship, TAship, or scholarship. Often times they may give you information on the appeals process to receive more money and what avenues you can go with through the university to receive it. 

19 hours ago, pepperoncini said:

I have seen some people sharing that they have received invitations for interviews in Columbia but I haven't heard anything. Do you guys know if they send rejections later than acceptances?

Same here. I remember reading in a past forum that rejections came out after interviews and acceptances. But this was a while back...?

Hopefully, they are still reviewing. ?

Edited by veryberry

Anyone else struggling with the current pace of forum posts? Seems like we are all just waiting atm. ?

One thing I'm curious about is if anyone has interesting insight from current students in MFA programs. Any tips on what they wish they'd known/asked before starting their program? 

Edited by nameless cat

This post is for future MFA applicants searching through old forums for UCLA information. ;) I applied to UCLA Painting, interviewed with full departmental faculty February 11, faculty followed up with email on February 13 expressing interest, unofficial offer received February 21. Painting received about 200 applicants this year.   

So I just got a surprise phone interview from Florida State and I have no voice rn so I think I sounded like a 90 year old smoker in the call ?. And I was not expecting to get interviewed at 8pm on a Monday unannounced so I was a little rattled in the call I think. I don’t think the interviewer was very impressed. Hope everyone else is doing good with interviews ❤️

4 hours ago, Antisocialprintmaker said:

So I just got a surprise phone interview from Florida State and I have no voice rn so I think I sounded like a 90 year old smoker in the call ?. And I was not expecting to get interviewed at 8pm on a Monday unannounced so I was a little rattled in the call I think. I don’t think the interviewer was very impressed. Hope everyone else is doing good with interviews ❤️

Oh my gosh, I'm sorry that happened! That's so weird. I've never heard of on the spot phone interviews like that. 

6 hours ago, seelamfa22 said:

Had my UCSD interview today. Presented one piece, each faculty asked a follow-up question about the piece, they asked about why grad school now and why UCSD, any professors I wanted to work with, what can I contribute to the program, what skills do I have to support a professor teaching a class, contemporary artists I liked...

My interview was the same, except they had me show a few pieces instead of one, like I expected. Not sure what that means. Congrats on your UCLA acceptance btw!! 

11 hours ago, Antisocialprintmaker said:

What!! Who does that?!! This is why I never answer my phone ?

If its any consolation ... I do feel like we are all our own worst critics. So keep that in mind, likely it didn't go as poorly as you think it did. AND, they called you for a reason. They must have really liked your work or else they wouldn't have called in the first place!

1 hour ago, eatyoveggies said:

What!! Who does that?!! This is why I never answer my phone ?

If its any consolation ... I do feel like we are all our own worst critics. So keep that in mind, likely it didn't go as poorly as you think it did. AND, they called you for a reason. They must have really liked your work or else they wouldn't have called in the first place!

Yeah it was super weird! I thought they were giving people interview requests for FSU through email so I was a little caught off guard. And that’s true thank you! I hope so he never mentioned my art he just asked me questions about why I liked FSU essentially so I couldn’t tell

16 minutes ago, Antisocialprintmaker said:

Yeah it was super weird! I thought they were giving people interview requests for FSU through email so I was a little caught off guard. And that’s true thank you! I hope so he never mentioned my art he just asked me questions about why I liked FSU essentially so I couldn’t tell

Yes that was how I got my interview request- I wonder if the person who interviewed was just running out of time so they had to cold call lol because I know they are releasing decisions soon. So interesting...

3 hours ago, eatyoveggies said:

Yes that was how I got my interview request- I wonder if the person who interviewed was just running out of time so they had to cold call lol because I know they are releasing decisions soon. So interesting...

Lol I think that’s what it was honestly. And I don’t think they’re going to have a full cohort tbh because I asked how many people would be in it and he said less than their usual number. So I’m not really sure what he means by that

Just got an offer to Colorado State University-painting! They offered me a graduate teaching assistantship in my second year and I guess living in Utah qualifies me for an in-state tuition program they have.

I'm waiting to hear back from MICA after my second interview with them and I have an interview tomorrow with San Francisco State University so I'm like ah!! What to do! ? CSU wants me to let them know by the end of Feb (like a week from now) and I haven't even heard back from UCI, VCU or University of Montana lol