MFA 2022 Freak Out Forum

Michelle Santa Cruz

1 hour ago, Forms Without Formula said:

Oh wow cool! On the Hunter MFA website you can browse the current students and filter to show the people in the sculpture concentration, just took another look and there's actually a pretty vast range of the kind of work people are making. I really like the idea of it being a fairly self driven program, I'm used to working on my own but am just craving the community of artists to bounce ideas off of.

Should only be another week or two before we hear about interviews based on past forums! I wouldn't worry too much about the essay, if the work intrigues the committee they'll want to talk to you!

How important do you people think the vibe of a program is? Are some schools more open to different styles and some schools more stuck in a certain type of work? 

Thanks! 

I also found it interesting that its three years studio based program. You can really explore different dimensions during those years. I also heard that the student strength there is quite low because many students left the program due to Pandemic. As far as I know there are only 4 students in second year graduate program.

Let's see. 

I think vibe is really important. Someone once told me that graduate schools look for the right "fit". It doesn't necessarily means that if your work is amazing you'd get an offer, the work should fit in the school program. It more like dating your work kind of thing lol 

Very exciting news! I just heard back from UO for interview request! It had been a while since another member shared they had received one, so there is still hope if you haven't heard from places yet! I applied for everything the day it was due so maybe they are processing in order they are received. 

I'm losing a little hope about hearing from UPenn.... I'm not sure if anyone shared, but immediately after you submit your app they send a a request to record an interview. Prerecorded questions, after each question the camera turns on, you have one minute and it shuts off. No redo's. It went VERY poorly for me. 

Edited by nameless cat

4 hours ago, nameless cat said:

I'm losing a little hope about hearing from UPenn.... I'm not sure if anyone shared, but immediately after you submit your app they send a a request to record an interview. Prerecorded questions, after each question the camera turns on, you have one minute and it shuts off. No redo's. It went VERY poorly for me. 

What kind of pre-recorded questions?

1 hour ago, Strawberrycat said:

Nothing from UCSD yet on my end. 

1 hour ago, javpppppp said:

Anyone heard from UCSD or CMU?

I've heard nothing from University of California San Diego, either. I did get the obligatory financial aid emails from University of California Irvine and the University of Southern California. Couple days ago got an update from San Diego State University. Nothing at all from Stanford, tho.

Maaaaaaaaaaan....... ???

COME OOOOON. JUST LET US IN. Lol! ?

1 hour ago, jufielder said:

Has anyone already had their interview with UofChicago? What kind of questions did they ask?

I interviewed last year, and they asked me about how I've been able to continue my practice since undergrad (I've been out of school since 2013), where my work fits in terms of genre (my work had changed and bounced around a bit within a 2 year span), they asked about scale and how I would work with scale in school (some of my work was large, I think this was a practical space question), and there were two questions specific to things I wrote about in my statement. I appreciated that all of the questions were specific to me. So, I think the only way you could really prepare is to study your own statement, be confident in yourself, and know why you're applying there and now. I had Pope.L and Catherine Sullivan, plus a grad student. I was naturally nervous but it was really pleasant. I had a very nice application experience there, and if you have any questions or concerns, Alison is extremely sweet and kind and helpful. I wish you the best and fingers crossed they make you an offer!!

Edited by nobodyok

1 hour ago, nobodyok said:

What kind of pre-recorded questions?

I did the pre-recorded interview as well. As far as I remember:

1. Tell me about yourself
2. Why Upenn
3. Why should we pick you
4. Weakness and strength
5. What is your inspiration
6. How does your personal life influence your work

and I think there might have been 1 or 2 more questions but can't remember... hope this helps!

Next week is SAIC interview weekend and they're offering interviewees to sign up for admission counseling. Has anyone who's interviewed with SAIC before signed up for this? or know anything about it?

6 hours ago, hellotothefuture said:

Thanks! 

I also found it interesting that its three years studio based program. You can really explore different dimensions during those years. I also heard that the student strength there is quite low because many students left the program due to Pandemic. As far as I know there are only 4 students in second year graduate program.

Let's see. 

I think vibe is really important. Someone once told me that graduate schools look for the right "fit". It doesn't necessarily means that if your work is amazing you'd get an offer, the work should fit in the school program. It more like dating your work kind of thing lol 

Yeah the 3 years was a draw for me, it takes time to let ideas grow and evolve.

I somewhat regretting only applying to 1 school but it'll either happen or not, but I don't know how to stay calm while waiting! 

2 hours ago, AlyPet said:

Has anyone heard from Pratt or UCLA?

Pratt only just started reviewing applications and you will hear from them about the middle of the month to set up interviews. Like middle of the month is when they decide who gets interviewed. So it’s still a wait for them. I applied there too I’ll let you know. 

42 minutes ago, whitewhales said:

Pratt only just started reviewing applications and you will hear from them about the middle of the month to set up interviews. Like middle of the month is when they decide who gets interviewed. So it’s still a wait for them. I applied there too I’ll let you know. 

Thanks, WhiteWhales!

10 hours ago, nameless cat said:

Very exciting news! I just heard back from UO for interview request! It had been a while since another member shared they had received one, so there is still hope if you haven't heard from places yet! I applied for everything the day it was due so maybe they are processing in order they are received. 

I also applied to Upenn and did that quick recorded interview. I experienced a small technical difficulties and emailed the admission office. They say the interview wasn't that important so it's okay. I am not sure what it really means but well.

Hopefully we can hear something from Upenn soon.

7 hours ago, slickjaketheruler said:

Had my first interview today with Tyler which I believe went really well.

I’m spiraling with the constant waiting. What is everyone doing in their free time to keep occupied?

honestly i'm trying to "make work" but i am so distracted by this forum since i discovered it, has completely derailed my studio practice. i keep coming back here for news. trying to get back to reading and drawing now..... and wean myself off this forum. 

how did your interview go? i'm happy you feel good post interview. i hope we all get that "went really well" feeling afterwards.. these things are so intimidating.

Edited by whitewhales