MSW Fall 2022 Applications

moria95

I'm looking to apply to MSW programs for Fall 2021. Unfortunately, I came to the realization that I wanted to pursue a career in social work after I completed an undergraduate degree in media studies. I have a strong GPA and have been working in the years since I graduated, but I'm nervous that my lack of a SW background would affect my chances of being admitted. Did anyone else have a similar experience or any advice regarding the application process? 

• 1 year later...
On 10/29/2021 at 3:42 PM, BaritoneSW said:

Hey! I'm applying for schools in NYC... so far I'm planning on applying for Hunter, Columbia, NYU, and Fordham 

I'm trying to work on my statements of purpose, and damn, it's work! 

Be weary of Hunter...I'm in their current BSW program and since the pandemic all of silberman has gone down hill, unfortunately. Most of us in the BSW program are refusing to even apply for their MSW program. 

3 hours ago, domiirose28 said:

Be weary of Hunter...I'm in their current BSW program and since the pandemic all of silberman has gone down hill, unfortunately. Most of us in the BSW program are refusing to even apply for their MSW program. 

Thanks for the heads up!! Really helpful information 

Edited by BaritoneSW
Forgot to quote message

5 minutes ago, BaritoneSW said:

I would definitely love to know more about your experience there, and whether you know of the experiences of people in the MSW program there. 

My experience has been neglect from the staff. There are still so many students without field placements and they don't allow us to find our own. But they are threatening us by saying if we don't get our hours we won't graduate. I had a professor who lived upstate with no internet and we didn't have one full class with her. We spoke to the head of the department and she did nothing other than telling us we will all get As. One of the classes we did have with her was just her crying in the middle of the woods. It was a very weird experience, and shes my professor again this semester. The BSW program is really just a serious case of neglect. 

I don't know many experiences from those in the MSW program but last year the MSW students protested against the education they were receiving (I don't have many more details though). If you go to an information session, ask them to set you up with a current student. 

On 11/7/2021 at 3:24 PM, mswforfall22 said:

The personal statements are so stressful! I'm applying to mostly Boston area - fingers crossed. I have no concept of how competitive these programs are.

Same here! Applying advanced standing to Simmons, BU, and Bridgewater State. I have a 3.4 GPA which I feel is low, due to a very bad semester Fall 2019. BU has been a dream since high school but so expensive! ? I also have no clue how competitive these programs are. My BSW field supervisor went to BU and says it's extremely competitive.

Edited by dontbeastranger

37 minutes ago, dontbeastranger said:

Same here! Applying advanced standing to Simmons, BU, and Bridgewater State. I have a 3.4 GPA which I feel is low, due to a very bad semester Fall 2019. BU has been a dream since high school but so expensive! ? I also have no clue how competitive these programs are. My BSW field supervisor went to BU and says it's extremely competitive.

I'm applying to BU and Simmons as well! I'm so nervous 

I am applying to UNC's MSW for Fall 2022. To be considered for certain scholarships, the deadline is Dec. 14th. Regular deadline is early January.

My wedding is next weekend, so I am not sure if I will get my app in by Dec early deadline. Has anyone heard if it is of any benefit to apply to the Dec deadline vs January deadline in regards to acceptance?

I'm really late in the game but I think I might apply to Philly-area programs. Does anyone have first or second-hand experience with West Chester U of Pennsylvania, Rutgers, Temple, or Bryn Mawr? I'm especially curious if Bryn Mawr gives out good financial aid. Penn is probably too competitive for me and also so expensive. 

I also have no concept of my chances. I have experience teaching and in childcare and I want to work with kids, but I don't have extensive volunteer experience or anything social work related. Fumbling around in the dark here...

On 10/27/2021 at 9:07 PM, mswforfall22 said:

Anyone else applying for next fall? I haven't seen any posts yet!

Hey! I am applying for next fall! I've just finished my applications. I had poor timing submitting some of my applications. I submitted some in early Oct, but just got a new job a week after, so I've only been able to include that in half of my resumés... oh well... ive applied to Carleton, Ryerson, York, UofT, and Laurier. 

when explaining how ill finance my education I simply put that ive been working hard for the past few years saving up, so I will not have to work full-time while in school. I linked that into the questions about how I will handle the demand of coursework. I also mentioned some fo the scholarships I was applying for, and how they would aid in my being able to focus on school.

Hi! I'm applying to University of Chicago, UIC, Loyola Chicago, DePaul, Boston College, Boston University, Columbia, and University of Denver. If anyone knows anything about these schools' competitiveness, or the programs themselves I would love to hear it!

I am applying for a few CSUs (CSUMB, FRESNO, SFSU) but I am hoping on UW Seattle! I'm kind of nervous, I have a 3.8 GPA, getting my BSW from Hunter College, but I don't have a ton of social work hours. I did 80 hours at an LGBTQ center for a semester at CC, worked at a group home full time working with disabled clients (around 1200 hours) and will have 400 hours from my BSW program. I noticed when MSW programs show their stats that most of their students have many more hours of experience than I do. So thats the main thing I am worried about. 

I'm currently in a part-time MSW program, but am considering applying to the online Columbia SSW program for Fall 2022. I was really impressed by what I read about the program, the prestige of the brand alone would look excellent on a resume, and they have a model that focuses on policy which is exactly what I want to continue working in long-term. My current program is more general practice focused and definitely geared towards future clinicians. I also feel (like the rest of my cohort) that we were misled when applying. The program is advertised and billed as part-time, meetings on Saturdays only, "perfect for professionals working 40 hours/week!". It turns out that after this semester, the rest of the program is full-time course load and it is unlikely that we will be able to continue the program, field placement, as well as working our full-time jobs. This, and the reaction we received from the program director when conveying our concerns, has led me to look around for other options. Everything relatively close to me takes such a small amount of transfer credits, putting me further from graduation. I've started the CSSW application and registered for an info session, but now I'm seeing mixed reviews. Does anyone have experience specifically with the online program? Maybe I should keep looking before applying too soon to this....

I'm applying to 15 full-time MSW programs: CSUN, CSULB, SDSU, UCB, UCLA, USC, OSU, UNC Chapel Hill, University of Denver, UGA, UW Madison, UW Seattle, Indiana University Bloomington, UTA, and UNLV. I went to a small private university for undergrad so I wanted the adventure of being at a larger school and also am indecisive in general. So far I've gotten acceptances to Ohio State and the University of Denver (Alumni Merit Scholarship for Denver)! Ohio State came in on 11/10 and Denver on 11/19. I submitted all of my applications on Halloween so pretty quick turn around time! Expecting a longer wait time on some of the more prestigious programs but will update if I get any status changes on them.