MSW Fall 2022 Applications

moria95

does anyone know how much an academic sanction would hurt an application? I have one after a COVID-related incident in Nov 2020 (basically was exposed by someone who went to a superspreader, got angry over text, ended up with a sanction because the person reporting needed immunity from getting sanctioned over a uni covid policy violation since I was considering reporting them.) My academic record is spotless otherwise: have a 3.5, internship/job experience at non-profits, a social justice education job, clubs, held a research position, and I think a decently unique personal statement. I had the opportunity to explain it and did as thoroughly as possible, but am super stressed about a stupid interpersonal incident ruining my chances at continuing my education. Recently submitted my apps to Hunter and Fordham FT clinical if that's of any use!

Edited by srose2022

I love seeing all this good news!!! I’m still holding space for those waiting and/or processing rejections.

I also received an acceptance from Columbia :) Two for two this cycle! I’m online either way. They are my top choices. Is anyone else deciding between the two? I’d love to chat privately and compare notes!

9 minutes ago, Fernsandfiddleheads said:

I love seeing all this good news!!! I’m still holding space for those waiting and/or processing rejections.

I also received an acceptance from Columbia :) Two for two this cycle! I’m online either way. They are my top choices. Is anyone else deciding between the two? I’d love to chat privately and compare notes!

Feel free to message me! I am from Atlanta as well ?

hi everyone! a bit of a lurker here, but i am just curious as to if anyone knows when we'll hear back from uchicago for the priority deadline. i searched a bit on past forums and aparently they only release decisions on fridays (this fact is not backed up at all i'm just quoting others lol), so would today be an option? i never have any idea whether or not "before the 15th" genuinely means before the 15th. thanks!!

27 minutes ago, relliott013 said:

Hi!! For those who have been accepted into Columbia, what day of the week were you accepted and what time? Trying to see if there’s a pattern so i can stop obsessively checking hahaha. Congrats to all that have gotten in so far!! 

I was accepted on a Tuesday around 8 pm EST

Hello, all! Congrats on everyone who have been accepted so far!

I'm also waiting in Columbia, and was wondering on the timeline for other folks. I submitted my application about 10 weeks ago, but my last reference didn't submit their form until about 6/7 weeks ago. I know Columbia says about 8 weeks for decisions, but at what point should I check in with admissions to ensure they have everything?

Thank you!

3 hours ago, cbeck said:

hi everyone! a bit of a lurker here, but i am just curious as to if anyone knows when we'll hear back from uchicago for the priority deadline. i searched a bit on past forums and aparently they only release decisions on fridays (this fact is not backed up at all i'm just quoting others lol), so would today be an option? i never have any idea whether or not "before the 15th" genuinely means before the 15th. thanks!!

I have been wondering this as well! I applied by the priority deadline and am anxiously waiting to hear back!!

3 hours ago, cbeck said:

I'm also anxiously waiting for Chicago! From what I've seen from past years it looks like it's usually feb 10 or later

On 2/1/2022 at 7:19 AM, futuremsw2022 said:

I received my Columbia acceptance last week- I applied right before December 1. It took them a few days to send my financial aid package after that

How was Columbia's financial aid package?

I've heard some negative things about Columbia's program but so far (for my track) it's one of my top choices. What are the resources to see what each school is like aside from the info sessions?

Edited by JBrwn

33 minutes ago, JBrwn said:

It was much less in scholarships and loans than the two other schools I received acceptance to, plus it's the most expensive program I applied to!

How was Columbia's financial aid package?

I've heard some negative things about Columbia's program but so far (for my track) it's one of my top choices. What are the resources to see what each school is like aside from the info sessions?

Hi there, current MSW student in WVUs first CSWE accredited online school. I graduated with my undergrad in 2009. In 2019 I applied to my current program. I had zero recommendations from past professors. They were all volunteer or work based. My GPA as an undergrad at Penn State was only a 3.18. I was admitted and I’m happy to say will be graduating this summer. 

so don’t sweat the small stuff. It’s likely fine. They know with us “older” students that we havnt been in academia for a while :) 

I am finishing up my MSW from West Virginia University. Though I love the program I ultimately feel that I would really like to do school counseling- which sadly my MSW does not qualify me for. I love social work and I’ve had two fantastic field placements. I’m currently in a counseling setting, which is run by clinically licensed social workers. They are fabulous and I have learned a great deal, however I feel that my education has lacking in terms of the actual therapeutic background specific to a counseling setting, more specifically to school counseling. (I cannot afford, nor qualify, for funding to become a certified school social worker) so I have applied to MA in Counseling at Edinboro- which I interview for next week. 

part of me wants to start working and make money - which I intend to do either way. I also intend to sit for my LSW exam soon. I am conflicted on if I should pursue a second masters degree or drop the idea altogether or attend a doctoral program (online) in a year or two. (I graduated with my bachelors in 2009, so I’ve worked quite a bit in my field so it’s not like I don’t know what I’m into lol) 

I would love any insight. A lot of why I want to go back for counseling is to also obtain the therapeutic skills that I feel my MSW lacked (even though the programs is wonderful and is CSWE accredited). 

im just unsure if it’s worth it or not. As well as the question of how do I keep my LSW status (once obtained) but also work towards LPC status? Is that even possible? Is an LSW with an LPC marketable? Is this even beneficial? Advice would be appreciated:) 

On 2/1/2022 at 7:19 AM, futuremsw2022 said:

It was much less in scholarships and loans than the two other schools I received acceptance to, plus it's the most expensive program I applied to!

That's what I assumed. I had a similar experience in college (most expensive school was the cheapest after financial aid). Thanks!

On 2/4/2022 at 12:57 PM, cbeck said:

I emailed the admissions office asking, they said everyone would receive decisions ON Feb 15

On 1/30/2022 at 10:52 PM, pgh_sav said:

Hello friends! 

I am late to this chain but am looking for some solidarity in the anxiety of waiting! I applied to Pitt, BU, and Penn (SP2)! I was accepted at Pitt which is a huge relief, but I'm hoping to make a change (I live in Pittsburgh, have a degree from Pitt). Anxiety is definitely building a little bit, but I would still be happy going to Pitt for sure! 

Congrats on all of your acceptances so far!

I'm in the same boat with Pitt! Definitely looking for a change but it's a cheaper program than anything else I'm looking at and it's a good school