MSW Fall 2022 Applications

moria95

Hi all!

Today, I received an acceptance letter into my MSW program of choice - yay!! Because I am in the BSW program, I will be able to complete my Master's in 1 year. Ultimately, my goal is to receive my LCSW and work in the field of mental health. Currently, my field placement is community based and I work with folks who have a severe & persistent mental illness - potentially with a SUD as well.

That said, the "downside" is that my first preference for a MSW focus area in Mental Health was full and I have been placed into the Health Direct Practice focus area instead. I do believe that MH has relevance in all "focus" areas of Social Work. That said, I am concerned about whether or not being put into a Health Direct Practice focus will impact my goals or educational experience(s).

Long story short, I am looking to hear from those who can give me some perspective on this in terms of the big, practice picture. I am very grateful for this opportunity and would simply like to make the best of it. Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

7 hours ago, mentalhlthmattrs said:

Hi all!

Today, I received an acceptance letter into my MSW program of choice - yay!! Because I am in the BSW program, I will be able to complete my Master's in 1 year. Ultimately, my goal is to receive my LCSW and work in the field of mental health. Currently, my field placement is community based and I work with folks who have a severe & persistent mental illness - potentially with a SUD as well.

That said, the "downside" is that my first preference for a MSW focus area in Mental Health was full and I have been placed into the Health Direct Practice focus area instead. I do believe that MH has relevance in all "focus" areas of Social Work. That said, I am concerned about whether or not being put into a Health Direct Practice focus will impact my goals or educational experience(s).

Long story short, I am looking to hear from those who can give me some perspective on this in terms of the big, practice picture. I am very grateful for this opportunity and would simply like to make the best of it. Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

First of all, congratulations! This is so exciting for you!

Health and mental health are undeniably related. I think you'll find it particularly meaningful to gain that new experience and perspective, coming from a background of working in MH. Have you considered talking to the program's field coordinator to see if your next field placement might be more in line with your hope to work in MH?

59 minutes ago, socialmocha said:

I applied to CSUN, CSUF, CSUSB and CSUDH's MSW program for Fall 2022.   Has anyone heard back from any of these schools? 

I got an email from CSUN maybe 4 weeks ago saying they're processing decisions and to expect one within 3-6 weeks but that sometimes the wait might be longer. I've been checking my email and portal religiously for the past couple days. Hopefully soon!

Hi frands, I was happy to see an acceptance from uChicago last week! The scholarship (20K) was generous, but I still worry about the debt I'll need to take on. Has anyone been successful negotiating with uChicago in particular? I do need to stay in Chicago, so my other accepts are from UIC and Loyola (i.e. less peer institutions than uChicago). Any tips?

On 2/18/2022 at 11:15 PM, Mswapplicant828 said:

I applied to the Bay Area schools ( Berkeley, SJSU, and SFSU). I got into SFSU with a title IV-e scholarship! My interview for Berkeley is next week, but I’m leaning towards SFSU financially. 

Congrats! I also applied for SFSU, when did you receive notification? 

15 hours ago, xochipilli said:

Congrats everybody! Applied to UChicago in January 15. Haven’t heard back—is it safe to assume I didn’t get accepting. Looking at everyone’s admissions decisions, I’m getting the feeling I probably have a polite rejection on the way lol

i think the people who heard back already (myself included) applied by the december deadline rather than the january, if im not mistaken :)

On 2/18/2022 at 8:15 PM, Mswapplicant828 said:

I applied to the Bay Area schools ( Berkeley, SJSU, and SFSU). I got into SFSU with a title IV-e scholarship! My interview for Berkeley is next week, but I’m leaning towards SFSU financially. 

Congratulations! I applied to SFSU but I am waiting for a response. Good luck with your interview at Berkeley. 

On 2/18/2022 at 10:15 PM, Mswapplicant828 said:

I applied to Berkeley but haven't heard anything. How did you find out? Is it the 2-year full time normal standing program? Can I ask if they offered any scholarships?

On 2/21/2022 at 9:33 AM, kaleighq said:

Debt... can we talk about it? Haha. I wanted to post in here and ask the forum since we're all attending programs in social work and will have somewhat similar experiences with tuition, cost of living, etc. while we do our fieldwork.

So my question is, how much debt are you planning to go into for a 2 year program and how are you coping with it because I am scared lol and worried it'll be too much to handle! Any kind discussion or advice is helpful.

I am going to Smith and they gave me a good amount of scholarship to go towards tuition, but it's the cost of living in NYC for my field internship that will be the real issue because I will be using loans to cover the cost of living and NYC is expensive. It's becoming overwhelming and I just wanted to talk with other MSW folks about your plans and your relationship with debt.

Check out  loan forgiveness programs .

I would like to say to everyone who needs scholarships and grants and who is not receiving the amount of aid they would like to have to support funding their graduate education - always look for external scholarships. There are so many scholarships available that usually only require an essay (sometimes as little as 500 words) and/or letter of recommendation. Some scholarships are paid directly to the school, some are paid directly to you the awardee. Take the time to search. It requires research and effort, but it is worth it - especially for this field with unpaid internships.

I received a decision for Portland (waitlisted) and then accepted to UW. I put down my deposit for UW because it was my #1 school. However, still wondering if any of you guys were accepted to Portland- then what were your stats? I had a 3.8 GPA getting my BSW, 2000 hours, solid references. Im surprised I was waitlisted but not a big deal. 

I’m graduating from UMB this coming May, feel free to shoot me a message:)

I’ve met many people with very diverse backgrounds in my cohort (pharmacist for 20+ years, phd in Sanskrit, etc), so I wouldn’t be too worried. Just make sure you justify why you want to pursue social work in your statement and give a lot of thoughts to the social issues that you are passionate about.

wait - don’t know why I’m replying to a 2020 post, anyway, the offer stands for anyone who wants to talk about the UMB program.

Edited by Confusedkitty