MSW Fall 2022 Applications

moria95

I was accepted at the University of Denver and Portland State University, both advanced standing programs.  I have a 4.0, the preferred 2000 hours, and came in with solid recommendations (one from the director of the BSSW program).  It appears our stats are very similar. Honesty, I am not sure which (if any) of those data points pushed me over.  I took a somewhat unorthodox approach to my admissions essay for DU/professional statement for Portland.  Maybe they liked that.  At any rate, I hope you get into Portland if that is your preference!

On 2/23/2022 at 1:36 PM, nervousmswgal said:

Has anyone heard back from the advanced standing program at UT-Austin yet? I know the deadline was only a little bit ago, but just curious. 

Hello, I submitted mine on Feb 14 shortly before deadline. My status moved to "sent to graduate committee for review"and shortly after i received an email stating that my app was received by the steve hicks school of social work.

i have no other updates since then ? very nervous since this is my number one choice for grad school. they have such an amazing program but i hope i am a perfect candidate .. when did you submit? how are you feeling?

10 hours ago, mssw said:

Hello, I submitted mine on Feb 14 shortly before deadline. My status moved to "sent to graduate committee for review"and shortly after i received an email stating that my app was received by the steve hicks school of social work.

i have no other updates since then ? very nervous since this is my number one choice for grad school. they have such an amazing program but i hope i am a perfect candidate .. when did you submit? how are you feeling?

I'm feeling okay! I am an out-of-state student and it is also my top choice right now. I submitted back in November, so mine has said the same thing since about December! I'm really not in a position to be able to wait to hear back in April, which makes this all the more nerve-wracking. If they do wait until the end of April like they project, I'll have about two weeks to plan a move before classes begin ?  Are you feeling okay? Do you reside in Texas?

Hello everyone! I applied on Oct 25 for the 2 year track and since I was getting very anxious I emailed Andrea and she send me this: "Most applicants will have a decision within 10 to 15 weeks of the January 15th deadline"  Sooo, hopefully we'll have results at the end of March. 

1 hour ago, nervousmswgal said:

I'm feeling okay! I am an out-of-state student and it is also my top choice right now. I submitted back in November, so mine has said the same thing since about December! I'm really not in a position to be able to wait to hear back in April, which makes this all the more nerve-wracking. If they do wait until the end of April like they project, I'll have about two weeks to plan a move before classes begin ?  Are you feeling okay? Do you reside in Texas?

I’m feeling okay. I have a good amount of volunteer/work experience and good grades but you never know. 

yes, I’m a Texas resident. However I can’t imagine moving within a short period of time and I’m concerned about that. I do live on the opposite side of Texas and not quite familiar with the Austin area. 

Based on previous posts, people have received their acceptance letter by the end of March for advanced standing. Do you know how large the cohort is for advanced standing?

6 minutes ago, mssw said:

I’m feeling okay. I have a good amount of volunteer/work experience and good grades but you never know. 

yes, I’m a Texas resident. However I can’t imagine moving within a short period of time and I’m concerned about that. I do live on the opposite side of Texas and not quite familiar with the Austin area. 

Based on previous posts, people have received their acceptance letter by the end of March for advanced standing. Do you know how large the cohort is for advanced standing?

i understand that! and I have no earthly clue. I do know they have way less spots then they generally receive applications for though! I hope it'll be March. I am worried it will be a lot later though because of the way they did admissions this year.

2 hours ago, workerbee said:

Heard from UCLA last night, and got accepted!!! They're a top choice so I'm really excited...didn't hear anything about potential scholarships though

Congratulations!! I'm still waiting on my decision.. getting super anxious but crossing my fingers!

57 minutes ago, naura said:

Congratulations!! I'm still waiting on my decision.. getting super anxious but crossing my fingers!

Ooooh good luck!! Fingers crossed for you...if it helps, I actually checked the portal and saw the status update before they even sent me an email! Would definitely recommend doing that if you want to find out a little early

On 2/23/2022 at 3:10 PM, Kaykay321 said:

I applied to Berkeley but haven't heard anything. How did you find out? Is it the 2-year full time normal standing program? Can I ask if they offered any scholarships?

I heard back from them through their title-ive stipend program. I got an interview specifically for that program. 

Just got a yes from USC for the Adult Mental Health and Wellness track! Great program but for the cost (even in-state) I really just applied to see if I could get in or get any aid, which I don't think I did. Makes me more confident for some other school's though!

Hi everyone,

I’m new to this group ?

Anyone that applied to CSULB heard back? I applied early October, forward to MSW department a month later. Since then I have not heard back. Anyone going through the same issue as myself ?

1 hour ago, Nancy nava said:

Hi everyone,

I’m new to this group ?

Anyone that applied to CSULB heard back? I applied early October, forward to MSW department a month later. Since then I have not heard back. Anyone going through the same issue as myself ?

I'm waiting for CSULB too. I think the last email I got said decisions usually come out 4-6 weeks from the deadline. Deadline for them was Jan 18 which would mean their predicted last days would be next week! Good luck!!

3 hours ago, futuretherapist22 said:

has anyone heard from NC State? I know the admissions decisions for the 2-year program were supposed to be released yesterday but I have not received any updates on the portal or by email

Someone on Reddit said their daughter got a response from NC State yesterday. Still waiting to hear back from UNC…

On 2/25/2022 at 8:48 AM, nervousmswgal said:

i understand that! and I have no earthly clue. I do know they have way less spots then they generally receive applications for though! I hope it'll be March. I am worried it will be a lot later though because of the way they did admissions this year.

If I hear anything, I will be sure to keep you posted here!

Hope we all hear good news soon & we can go back to feeling normal. lol i know havent been able to relax because my future is uncertain right now. 

I'm working on my statement and I'm wondering if anyone has any advice.  Do they want you to just answer the questions or give a personal statement and answer the questions within that if that makes any sense. I just always feel like I'm doing it wrong and always work best with examples but I haven't been able to find any so far. 

Hello all! Just giving an update: I had my U of M interview via Zoom this past Wednesday afternoon (Feb 23). Lasted about half an hour and the panel was very kind. In case this helps anyone else this cycle or in future cycles, here are some of the questions they asked:

1) Tell us about yourself

2) Why are you applying to U of M?

3) Why should we admit you?

4) How have you prepared to earn your MSW?

5) Why have you chosen the pathway(s) you've selected on your application?

6) Which placement environment most appeals to you (urban, rural, university, suburban)?

7) Is there a book/author that has been influential in your life?

They also asked some specific questions about my work and life experience since I come from a nontraditional background. The majority of the questions came from a list the panelists took turns reading off of. I asked what the typical turnaround time for an admissions decision was after an interview, and was told that the admissions committee meets on Fridays, so decisions could go out anytime between later Friday and the beginning of the next week.

I got an email yesterday morning (Saturday, Feb 26) from Tim Colenback (Assistant Dean for Enrollment Management) congratulating me and alerting me that I was being offered admission for Fall 2022! My Wolverine Access has still not updated to show me an admissions decision, and I have yet to receive my official admissions email, but I thought it was really lovely that he would send notice on the weekend so I can stop obsessively checking my online portal haha.

I applied to two MSW programs, and received admission to both. I'm pretty sure I'll be attending U of M since it is my only in-person program, but I'm still a little hesitant due to cost (and I'm getting in-state tuition). I'm curious to see if I am offered any scholarships or if I was successful in getting into the special program I applied for...we'll see!

Sending lots of good thoughts to everyone still awaiting admissions decisions!

Edited by ElleDiMi
Wrong date for Saturday, Feb 26

I'm applying to University of Michigan and Howard University for their online advanced standing part time MSW programs starting in the fall. I had no idea how competitive some of these programs were and that placed way more stress on the situation. 

I may also apply to other colleges with the same program, I just don't have the money for a ton of application fees. 

Hi! I'd definitely answer the questions for the supplementary statement within the context of a personal statement. From everything I've heard from other applicants and based on my own experience, the admissions panel wants to get an idea of who you are as a person, and what you hope to achieve through the medium of social work in your career. I'd also recommend trying to attend/watch a SSW admissions informational session, or even directly reach out to the SSW at U of M with any questions or concerns. I reached out to them back in September/October when I applied, and they have consistently been very warm, receptive, and helpful. Best of luck!