MSW Fall 2022 Applications

moria95

All my application results come out last and this week. I am anxious waiting UT Austin, traditional 2-year track, since it is my top school with the lowest tuition. Has anyone heard from UT Austin yet? It takes soooo lonnnnng! I applied before 11/15 with less perfect SOP and writing sample than my later one. My mind tells me that they will give result by the end of next week (15weeks!), there is nothing I can change no matter what I am thinking right now. But I can't help searching the results and worry about the result! It take me big courage to change my career in the mid of the age.

My second choice is the Boston College. Has anyone known about their program after graduation? They are so generous!!! After scholarship, the tuition is just 10k higher than UT Austin, but with better advanced and pioneer counseling courses!! And their staff and students are so nice! The only thing I am concerned is the size of the school since it is private, the graduate students might not be same size as bigUs. I am not sure if I relocate, are there any help from school network/support? 

My backup school is NYU which is quite expensive even after scholarship, the extra tuition can't cover the job opportunities or the school network in my thoughts. Am I wrong? Or should I apply Columbia/Hunter next year?

Thank you so much for your replies!! Appreciate ahead!!

On 2/15/2022 at 12:00 PM, formaltyty said:

I applied to CSUSB, CSULA, and UCLA - heard back from CSUSB last night and they told me I need to respond within 14 days. I don't know if I'll even hear back from my other schools by then - I don't want to lose my place at SB if I don't get in at the others, but SB is also my last choice "safety school" and I would prefer one of the others...any tips? UCLA says end of February to mid-March for acceptance, which feels kind of late?

Hi congrats on the SB acceptance! Do you mind telling us when you applied to CSUSB?  That was my safety school too, but because of the location is has quickly become my #1.  Also, I would respond to the acceptance and try to keep your space while you wait for the others! I heard there’s no money that needs to be put down, so I would just accept for now. 

Edited by socialmocha

20 hours ago, TherapizingMSW said:

Is anyone else still awaiting a decision from Columbia that applied by the priority date? I applied to the online part-time to full-time program. Starting to wonder if I'm perhaps being waitlisted.

Yes, I'm in the same boat! Not sure what to do...

I applied to UT Austin around that time as well and heard back on January 7th. Unfortunately, I was rejected. I also feel like my materials were not as good as the ones I created for later applications. I would try checking the portal directly through MyStatus. I haven't seen anyone get accepted yet so I am unsure what is going on. At the information session I was told that it is a highly competitive program, so I am guessing that they received a lot of applicants.

3 hours ago, capriconch said:

I applied to UT Austin around that time as well and heard back on January 7th. Unfortunately, I was rejected. I also feel like my materials were not as good as the ones I created for later applications. I would try checking the portal directly through MyStatus. I haven't seen anyone get accepted yet so I am unsure what is going on. At the information session I was told that it is a highly competitive program, so I am guessing that they received a lot of applicants.

So sorry to hear that…I was asked to update the transcripts for several times after application. Yeah…I heard it is a highly competitive and work experience preferred. Last year almost thousands applicants while only one hundred seats. Ummm…so uncertain of what I should do right now

1 hour ago, mssw said:

Hi , applied for summer post bsw track. Wish you all well! based on all the post/comments ive read it seems that it takes a while to hear back. i hate the feeling on not knowing. 

Me either! Hate the feeling… fingers crossed!

On 2/16/2022 at 12:48 PM, socialmocha said:

Hi congrats on the SB acceptance! Do you mind telling us when you applied to CSUSB?  That was my safety school too, but because of the location is has quickly become my #1.  Also, I would respond to the acceptance and try to keep your space while you wait for the others! I heard there’s no money that needs to be put down, so I would just accept for now. 

I applied at the end of December - close to NYE. I just sent my acceptance in - haven't seen anything about any fees and I haven't read anything in the acceptance that seemed binding in any way - thanks for the advice!!

21 hours ago, eps0427 said:

Yes, I'm in the same boat! Not sure what to do...

Ahhhh I received my acceptance to Columbia last night!!! There's still hope! FYI, my application portal updated about 2 hours before I received the email (around 8pm).

Wishing all that are still waiting for decisions the very best of luck! 

12 hours ago, formaltyty said:

I applied at the end of December - close to NYE. I just sent my acceptance in - haven't seen anything about any fees and I haven't read anything in the acceptance that seemed binding in any way - thanks for the advice!!

Congrats! Hopefully you get into your top as well!

I applied I believe a few days before the priority deadline so I am hoping I didn’t apply too late. 

Debt... can we talk about it? Haha. I wanted to post in here and ask the forum since we're all attending programs in social work and will have somewhat similar experiences with tuition, cost of living, etc. while we do our fieldwork.

So my question is, how much debt are you planning to go into for a 2 year program and how are you coping with it because I am scared lol and worried it'll be too much to handle! Any kind discussion or advice is helpful.

I am going to Smith and they gave me a good amount of scholarship to go towards tuition, but it's the cost of living in NYC for my field internship that will be the real issue because I will be using loans to cover the cost of living and NYC is expensive. It's becoming overwhelming and I just wanted to talk with other MSW folks about your plans and your relationship with debt.