MSW Fall 2022 Applications

moria95

On 2/7/2022 at 9:17 PM, kaleighq said:

Hi there!

I got into Columbia a few weeks ago and received my financial aid award last week. They gave me $16,000 scholarship, which doesn't feel great since the tuition alone is $55,000.

Is that per semester? I just got offered $19,000 at Pittsburgh and wasn't sure what the average amount of aid offered was for grad students in general. 

20 hours ago, domiirose28 said:

Anyone hear anything yet from SFSU, Fresno, Berkeley, Portland, or UW yet? 

nope, waiting on some of those too-- i don't think UW or berkeley are supposed to get back to anyone before the middle/end of march, which sucks lol

On 2/9/2022 at 11:09 AM, blueberryxyz said:

Hi, I've been lurking for a while! I applied to several two year programs

I applied to NYU on December 20, got accepted January 25 with a 15k scholarship per year.

I applied to Fordham on January 31, got accepted February 8 (fast!) and received my scholarship information a day later (February 9) which was 3k a year.

I applied to Hunter on January 20, and the application still hasn't been marked as completed :(

Even though Fordham's scholarship was relatively small, it is still far cheaper than NYU. I am still hoping for Hunter, but at this rate the timeline may not work out...

We are in the exact same position, like down to scholarship money. Do you have any idea how you'll choose between these schools (assuming an acceptance to Hunter)? I am feeling so torn and like I have no clue how to make a decision that isn't purely financial, although maybe that is the best way? 

1 hour ago, pbutter said:

We are in the exact same position, like down to scholarship money. Do you have any idea how you'll choose between these schools (assuming an acceptance to Hunter)? I am feeling so torn and like I have no clue how to make a decision that isn't purely financial, although maybe that is the best way? 

From what I understand, you should get your degree the cheapest way you can (through an accredited program). I don't know why I feel so drawn to NYU! It must be the marketing :) It's so expensive though. If I had gotten into Hunter by now, or thought I'd hear back soon, I'd wait it out...but I really don't know. I change my mind on a daily basis. Do you know what you're leaning towards?

3 hours ago, blueberryxyz said:

From what I understand, you should get your degree the cheapest way you can (through an accredited program). I don't know why I feel so drawn to NYU! It must be the marketing :) It's so expensive though. If I had gotten into Hunter by now, or thought I'd hear back soon, I'd wait it out...but I really don't know. I change my mind on a daily basis. Do you know what you're leaning towards?

Yeah totally, that is my understanding as well. I also definitely have stars in my eyes about NYU that I suspect is entirely down to marketing and their location. Hunter is the biggest schlep from my apartment, and I've heard horror stories about their administration. And then again I also find Fordham's academics interesting and it is the second closest after NYU and of course cheaper but not as cheap... I feel like I'm changing my mind daily and hoping for some clarity!! I don't expect to hear from Hunter until March or April based on friends experiences so there's lots of time to think. I expect I'll be asking both NYU and Fordham for extensions while I wait to hear from Hunter.

Edited by pbutter

8 hours ago, pbutter said:

Yeah totally, that is my understanding as well. I also definitely have stars in my eyes about NYU that I suspect is entirely down to marketing and their location. Hunter is the biggest schlep from my apartment, and I've heard horror stories about their administration. And then again I also find Fordham's academics interesting and it is the second closest after NYU and of course cheaper but not as cheap... I feel like I'm changing my mind daily and hoping for some clarity!! I don't expect to hear from Hunter until March or April based on friends experiences so there's lots of time to think. I expect I'll be asking both NYU and Fordham for extensions while I wait to hear from Hunter.

Do you know if there are any cons associated with waiting to accept? Does it affect field placement options?

On 2/8/2022 at 11:02 PM, kaleighq said:

Hi there!

I applied to Smith and got in last week (Columbia too). I think I'm going to go to Smith!

Congratulations on your admissions! I got into Smith too. I haven't made a decision on whether I'm attending or not though. 

On 2/6/2022 at 12:44 PM, workerbee said:

I'm in the same boat with Pitt! Definitely looking for a change but it's a cheaper program than anything else I'm looking at and it's a good school

It's a great school and you can't beat the finances (especially in state)!

On 2/8/2022 at 1:47 PM, msw98 said:

Hi! Does anyone know when we should be hearing back from UPenn MSW program (SP2)? I applied in November, but not sure if they're releasing decisions by a certain date or on rolling basis. 

I am DYING waiting for a Penn decision:(

39 minutes ago, eweathe1 said:

Is anyone else obsessively refreshing the UChicago portal today?? I'm dying.

ME! I’m seriously refreshing my email and portal like every five minutes, lol. Was hoping to hear before the 15th, but I know someone in the thread previously said they emailed admissions who said we would hear ON the 15th. ?

2 hours ago, eweathe1 said:

ok! so an update that might come in handy for the uchicago people-- i just got an email asking me to confirm my education award from americorps because they were "processing decisions". not sure what that would mean for the timing of things, but i did have to confirm some information so tomorrow seems likely

2 hours ago, eweathe1 said:

YES OMG!!! I swear time was flying by so fast but the days leading up to 15th Feb are going SO SLOWLY!!!

I am DYING to hear back arghhhh

Also, what does everyone's UChicago portal look like? For me, it always takes me to the recommender page again and then if I click next, it takes me to a page to upload further documents.

Where would the decision even show up on the portal?