MSW Fall 2022 Applications

moria95

Just got into BC yesterday- so thrilled! It's my first decision I've received, and I am still waiting on UMich, UT Austin, UW Seattle, and UW Madison. BC wants a decision by 1/31, but I'm nervous about other schools taking longer than that (UT specifically, which is my top choice). Has anyone asked for decision deadline extensions?

Most MSW programs use a holistic approach to admissions. A 3.4 GPA isn’t a deal breaker by any means. The upward trajectory will help and It’s also from a flagship brick and mortar university. Most programs look at GPA, LORs (choose people affiliated with the field - a professor and internship supervisor) SOP, experience…. Some programs have an interview component as well (Penn). If there is an opportunity to address the earlier struggle, do it. Especially if you can demonstrate self awareness, growth, etc. 

Best of luck! 

Edited by DSWstudentTSSW

On 11/21/2021 at 10:24 PM, naura said:

I'm applying to 15 full-time MSW programs: CSUN, CSULB, SDSU, UCB, UCLA, USC, OSU, UNC Chapel Hill, University of Denver, UGA, UW Madison, UW Seattle, Indiana University Bloomington, UTA, and UNLV. I went to a small private university for undergrad so I wanted the adventure of being at a larger school and also am indecisive in general. So far I've gotten acceptances to Ohio State and the University of Denver (Alumni Merit Scholarship for Denver)! Ohio State came in on 11/10 and Denver on 11/19. I submitted all of my applications on Halloween so pretty quick turn around time! Expecting a longer wait time on some of the more prestigious programs but will update if I get any status changes on them.

Are you a CA resident? If so, either UCLA or Berkeley are fantastic choices and can’t beat in-state tuition. 

1 hour ago, DSWstudentTSSW said:

Are you a CA resident? If so, either UCLA or Berkeley are fantastic choices and can’t beat in-state tuition. 

I am! I'm located in Southern California so UCLA is definitely one of my top choice with in-state tuition and it being so close to where I live. Definitely the schools I am most anxious to hear back from ?

Hello all!  Applying to UCLA, and they are NOT answering their emails on this matter.  I have four letters of recommendation, but I wanted to know if they are looking at all four, or only choose the top 3.  All I can find online is that three are required.  Thanks!

Hello, 

in 2019 I was accepted into West Virginia university’s online MSW program. I am graduating this summer. My undergrad GPA was a 3.2 and they were looking for a 3.0 or higher, so I would think you’re chance are good :) best of luck! 

On 1/11/2022 at 3:31 PM, whirlydirly said:

Just got into BC yesterday- so thrilled! It's my first decision I've received, and I am still waiting on UMich, UT Austin, UW Seattle, and UW Madison. BC wants a decision by 1/31, but I'm nervous about other schools taking longer than that (UT specifically, which is my top choice). Has anyone asked for decision deadline extensions?

I haven't yet, but I'm going to need to ask BC for an extension as well since I'm still waiting on a decision I expect to come mid-Feb

On 1/16/2022 at 1:56 PM, eweathe1 said:

I haven't yet, but I'm going to need to ask BC for an extension as well since I'm still waiting on a decision I expect to come mid-Feb

I asked for an extension and they allowed me to delay until March 1st- hope you are able to get one and hear back from your other programs!

On 1/10/2022 at 11:33 AM, Fernsandfiddleheads said:

Has anyone heard who applied to Columbia's online program? UMich? I'm going bonkers (and may, or may not, be checking for updates far too often) ?

I applied for Columbia’s online program by the priority deadline and haven’t heard back yet. Also checking for updates too often. Wishing us both luck!

I’m no expert on timing of these things (I’ve been out out of school and post my first masters for a decade), but yes, I don’t think the wait time is at all unusual. Looking at the calendar, eight weeks from the priority deadline (accounting for the winter break) is February. I’m keeping all of my fingers and toes crossed!

Has anyone who applied to Columbia’s online program heard back yet? I don’t think I’ve seen any posts with online acceptances, or denials, yet. Same with UMich. I’m celebrating with each of you as these acceptances are coming in and holding space for anyone who is (quietly) experiencing disappointment.

I’m with y’all! Wishing on those stars (and my very hard work!) Just keep refreshing! Just keep refreshing!

Hi! I got into Columbia on a 2.8 GPA, with 2 Fs and a couple of Cs on my transcript. I had some work experience, good internships, and I believe a really strong SOP. MSW programs really do evaluate your profile holistically! 

Received an email from UMich yesterday asking me to set up an interview. Based off of previous GradCafe threads, UMich interviews are very hit or miss in terms of admission. I am coming from a very unique, non-traditional background, and I am interested in earning my MSW via the MasterTrack program, so I am hoping that the interview request is to hear more about why I am pursuing the degree in such a specific way. I only applied to two programs, and UMich is my only in-person option, so I do hope this goes well--fingers crossed!

When I called to schedule my interview, the earliest date available was more than five weeks away (yeesh), so if anyone else is in a similar situation, I'd recommend calling ASAP.

Congrats on all of the acceptances so far, and continued good thoughts and patience to those still waiting!

Three letters of recommendation submitted directly by individuals who have supervised your work (academic, scholarly, and/or professional). Two academic letters are preferred unless you have been out of school for more than 5 years, then at least one of the references must be from a professor or doctoral student. Letters from colleagues, peers, and general character recommendations are not suitable. Enter your recommender’s name and email address on the UCLA Online Application. *****Do not provide more than three recommenders***** Upload instructions will be sent to them by the online system

On 1/19/2022 at 1:59 PM, whirlydirly said:

Hiya! I have not heard back but I did receive my wolverine access link shortly after I submitted my application. I applied on 12/1 and got my link on 12/8 if that's helpful! Hopefully you should get it soon if it didn't go to spam or junk!

Hey! I got it last week, hopefully we'll hear something soon. Good luck! 

I received a very exciting call at the end of last week from UMichigan offering congratulations on admission to their online program. I'm over the moon, and have been walking on some serious sunshine!! Ellie! I'm wishing you well on your interview at U of M!!! I also have a pretty unique background that I think is going to serve me well with this transition into social work. I'm pursuing a clinical track, with a focus on children and trauma/ACES integration following 17 years in education. UChicago has a *fantastic* program for just that, but I need to stay in Atlanta for my kids and Chicago doesn't have an online option at the moment.

Still waiting on a response to Columbia's online program (CONGRATS SDMSWMOM!!!) and hopeful that I have a hard choice to make soon :) Sending y'all love!

15 minutes ago, Fernsandfiddleheads said:

I received a very exciting call at the end of last week from UMichigan offering congratulations on admission to their online program. I'm over the moon, and have been walking on some serious sunshine!! Ellie! I'm wishing you well on your interview at U of M!!! I also have a pretty unique background that I think is going to serve me well with this transition into social work. I'm pursuing a clinical track, with a focus on children and trauma/ACES integration following 17 years in education. UChicago has a *fantastic* program for just that, but I need to stay in Atlanta for my kids and Chicago doesn't have an online option at the moment.

Still waiting on a response to Columbia's online program (CONGRATS SDMSWMOM!!!) and hopeful that I have a hard choice to make soon :) Sending y'all love!

Congratulations!!