MSW Fall 2022 Applications

moria95

Hi! I applied to Columbia's MSW program by the priority deadline of December 1 for their 2 year program but still haven't heard back. I've noticed that other people on similar timelines have already heard back—Is it worth reaching out to the admissions office to get a sense of timing or just wait it out?

48 minutes ago, ejs1226 said:

Hi! I applied to Columbia's MSW program by the priority deadline of December 1 for their 2 year program but still haven't heard back. I've noticed that other people on similar timelines have already heard back—Is it worth reaching out to the admissions office to get a sense of timing or just wait it out?

I would say it is most definitely worth reaching out! Especially as that will show added interest in the program, I’d think.  

On 2/6/2022 at 3:55 AM, JBrwn said:

That's what I assumed. I had a similar experience in college (most expensive school was the cheapest after financial aid). Thanks!

Hi there!

I got into Columbia a few weeks ago and received my financial aid award last week. They gave me $16,000 scholarship, which doesn't feel great since the tuition alone is $55,000.

10 hours ago, kaleighq said:

Hi there!

I got into Columbia a few weeks ago and received my financial aid award last week. They gave me $16,000 scholarship, which doesn't feel great since the tuition alone is $55,000.

Congrats on getting in! But, I hear you, that's disheartening since they def have the means to provide better scholarships. The tuition in general is too much for an SW degree. I wouldn't want to pay more than 20k per year if possible

Edited by JBrwn

2 hours ago, JBrwn said:

Congrats on getting in! But, I hear you, that's disheartening since they def have the means to provide better scholarships. The tuition in general is too much for an SW degree. I wouldn't want to pay more than 20k per year if possible

Agreed! What other programs did you apply to?

On 1/19/2022 at 6:49 PM, Nai23 said:

Hi all! Congratulations to those who have gotten acceptances! I'm applying to Columbia and Smith only. I got into Columbia in 2020 but couldn't attend for personal reasons. Hoping I get in and can attend this year. 

Anyone else applied to Smith? 

Hi there!

I applied to Smith and got in last week (Columbia too). I think I'm going to go to Smith!

On 12/13/2021 at 4:40 PM, Red29 said:

Hello! I am applying for Fall 2022 as well. Applied to Columbia, Fordham, and Case Western. Accepted to Case Western and waiting for the others. Does anyone know how long Columbia decisions take? 

Around 8 weeks!

21 hours ago, ejs1226 said:

I reached out to admissions yesterday and they said I'd hear back within the next two weeks! Hopefully that's the case for you, as well. The wait is killing me though!

Hi! Long time lurker but thought I’d share some info that might be helpful. I applied to NYU, Fordham, Hunter, BC, BU, and Simmons all on December 15th.

I’ve heard back from NYU, Fordham, and Simmons already! BC admissions said I should hear within the coming week and BU said decisions will be out  on Feb 14th. Haven’t had luck getting in contact with Hunter about an interview.

12 hours ago, User12543 said:

Hi! Long time lurker but thought I’d share some info that might be helpful. I applied to NYU, Fordham, Hunter, BC, BU, and Simmons all on December 15th.

I’ve heard back from NYU, Fordham, and Simmons already! BC admissions said I should hear within the coming week and BU said decisions will be out  on Feb 14th. Haven’t had luck getting in contact with Hunter about an interview.

thank you for this info!! I've been dying to hear from BU

12 hours ago, User12543 said:

Simmons Admissions has been so unresponsive for me :( How did you find out? Was it an email or a letter?

15 minutes ago, dontbeastranger said:

Simmons Admissions has been so unresponsive for me :( How did you find out? Was it an email or a letter?

I found out I was accepted to Simmons last Wednesday evening (2/2). They sent out an email around 8pm to check the status of my app through the portal. A separate scholarship email was sent the next day around 12pm-ish. I was kind of surprised since I just applied on 1/27. Hopefully they get back to you!! 

2 minutes ago, MSWuser97 said:

I found out I was accepted to Simmons last Wednesday evening (2/2). They sent out an email around 8pm to check the status of my app through the portal. A separate scholarship email was sent the next day around 12pm-ish. I was kind of surprised since I just applied on 1/27. Hopefully they get back to you!! 

Thank you so much, that is super helpful. Huge congrats on your acceptance!!! The other school I applied to (which is the undergraduate university I currently go to) told me they're sending a letter in the mail with my decision, which I thought was a bit odd for a graduate program! How was their scholarship/financial aid? 

7 minutes ago, dontbeastranger said:

Thank you so much, that is super helpful. Huge congrats on your acceptance!!! The other school I applied to (which is the undergraduate university I currently go to) told me they're sending a letter in the mail with my decision, which I thought was a bit odd for a graduate program! How was their scholarship/financial aid? 

Thanks! It was my first one so pretty exciting- Still waiting for BC and BU decisions to come out.

Simmons offered me a decent merit scholarship (about 1/3 of tuition) for both years and I am still working with their financial aid department regarding need-based aid- so we'll see! That is VERY odd that that program send out paper mail... very old fashioned lol. 

1 minute ago, MSWuser97 said:

Thanks! It was my first one so pretty exciting- Still waiting for BC and BU decisions to come out.

Simmons offered me a decent merit scholarship (about 1/3 of tuition) for both years and I am still working with their financial aid department regarding need-based aid- so we'll see! That is VERY odd that that program send out paper mail... very old fashioned lol. 

SO old fashioned :-P That scholarship is amazing, congratulations again! If you decide to choose Simmons keep us posted. I will be going there if I am accepted because of their reputation for school social work and I'd love to chat with others who are as well.

Hi, I've been lurking for a while! I applied to several two year programs

I applied to NYU on December 20, got accepted January 25 with a 15k scholarship per year.

I applied to Fordham on January 31, got accepted February 8 (fast!) and received my scholarship information a day later (February 9) which was 3k a year.

I applied to Hunter on January 20, and the application still hasn't been marked as completed :(

Even though Fordham's scholarship was relatively small, it is still far cheaper than NYU. I am still hoping for Hunter, but at this rate the timeline may not work out...

17 hours ago, User12543 said:

Following up to say that I heard from BC today! And also heard back about an interview at Hunter, but the first available interview slot wasn't until Feb 22.

Might ask for extensions so I can hear from Hunter, but BC is definitely at the top of my list right now considering they gave me a great scholarship. 

On 2/8/2022 at 1:45 PM, TherapizingMSW said:

I reached out to admissions yesterday and they said I'd hear back within the next two weeks! Hopefully that's the case for you, as well. The wait is killing me though!

Did you apply for the online or in person program? I applied for online 2 year by the priority deadline and am also still waiting for a decision. 

2 hours ago, User12543 said:

Following up to say that I heard from BC today! And also heard back about an interview at Hunter, but the first available interview slot wasn't until Feb 22.

Might ask for extensions so I can hear from Hunter, but BC is definitely at the top of my list right now considering they gave me a great scholarship. 

I was also accepted to BC today! Its at the top of my list too because of the generous scholarship and a few other aspects of the program that I am really drawn to- Congrats!!! Maybe we'll cross paths in the fall!

Hello all!  I am graduating with my BSW in May and I applied to an online MSW program with University of Kentucky.  I turned in my application on 1/22 but it didn't go through to admissions until 2/7 as they were waiting on official transcripts.  

I am SO nervous! They told me it typically takes 4-6 weeks to hear back.