MSW Fall 2022 Applications

moria95

4 hours ago, dying said:

Congratulations!! Is it on portal? or should we ask via Email?

I first received the notification from Andrea via email and then I received an email with a mystatus update. Did you apply to advanced standing ?

Panicking because I have heard bad things now about Tulane/Columbia when it comes to treatment of students/faculty. Has anyone heard anything about the MSW programs at Widener, Syracuse or Bryn Mawr whether online or on-campus, traditional or advanced standing. Thank you!!!! I want to attend as ethical an institution as possible but I am a remote, online, advanced standing student which narrows options!

3 hours ago, KaraM said:

Panicking because I have heard bad things now about Tulane/Columbia when it comes to treatment of students/faculty. Has anyone heard anything about the MSW programs at Widener, Syracuse or Bryn Mawr whether online or on-campus, traditional or advanced standing. Thank you!!!! I want to attend as ethical an institution as possible but I am a remote, online, advanced standing student which narrows options!

I would do more research and not necessarily decline either of those programs because of a single comment of a friend of a friend on an anonymous forum. They’re both great programs. Every program has occasional hiccups and outliers. Reach out to alumni and current students. Best of luck! 

On 3/27/2022 at 3:43 PM, KaraM said:

I've also heard negative things about Columbia and that it's better to just choose the least expensive program (i.e. a state/city school if you get into one). Columbia's program looks amazing though for a macro specialization :(

Edited by JBrwn

On 3/25/2022 at 3:03 PM, mssw said:

I first received the notification from Andrea via email and then I received an email with a mystatus update. Did you apply to advanced standing ?

Wow! Congratulations again! I applied the traditional two-year program. Hope the result will come soon.

3 hours ago, dying said:

Wow! Congratulations again! I applied the traditional two-year program. Hope the result will come soon.

Thank you!! I assume our decisions arrived earlier than expected because of the programs start date. 

Keep me updated and I hope you hear great news soon!! Will or do you have a social work degree? 

On 3/28/2022 at 6:26 PM, JBrwn said:

I've also heard negative things about Columbia and that it's better to just choose the least expensive program (i.e. a state/city school if you get into one). Columbia's program looks amazing though for a macro specialization :(

Thanks for your input! Columbia has always been a dream of mine but the Erika Hart, MEd situation made me rethink. I have heard similar regarding in-state schools but it is difficult since there are only two schools in my state of Montana with MSW programs. One is related to a faith-institution which I would like to avoid. The other I attended in person previously before taking time off and their online program is recent as of 2021 so I am wary to try it. I am hoping for an online, advanced standing MSW at an ethical institution (which I know is relative in academia unfortunately) that can offer me a different environment/cohort experience than what I already have experienced from growing up in my state, attending an in-person campus in my state, and completing my BSSW from a different state at the University of North Dakota. 

On 3/15/2022 at 7:36 AM, MSW2022_applicant said:

Also - has anyone heard from Columbia who applied by regular deadline ( I applied Feb 14)? I saw online that they extended their deadline from February 15 to April 1st.... any clue what that means? 

Me! I have applied on February 15t..right before the deadline.

Have you heard from Columbia yet? 

On 3/30/2022 at 12:47 PM, KaraM said:

Thanks for your input! Columbia has always been a dream of mine but the Erika Hart, MEd situation made me rethink. I have heard similar regarding in-state schools but it is difficult since there are only two schools in my state of Montana with MSW programs. One is related to a faith-institution which I would like to avoid. The other I attended in person previously before taking time off and their online program is recent as of 2021 so I am wary to try it. I am hoping for an online, advanced standing MSW at an ethical institution (which I know is relative in academia unfortunately) that can offer me a different environment/cohort experience than what I already have experienced from growing up in my state, attending an in-person campus in my state, and completing my BSSW from a different state at the University of North Dakota. 

That makes sense. Well, don't rule anything out then! Every student has a different experience at these schools.

I'd think of which state I'd most want to live in and which MSW fits in the most w/ the type of experience/education you want to have. No school will be perfect; it's more about the experience that you want to cultivate for yourself.

Columbia is in the heart of Harlem. So, if you decide to go, you'll definitely have a very different experience from how you grew up, and that would be an education in itself. It's also ranked in the top 5. So, it probably has a good curriculum/faculty in comparison to the other schools.

Also, every institution of higher education will have anti-Blackness. So, if that's your reason for second guessing Columbia, then you wouldn't be able to go to any grad school.

Edited by JBrwn

20 hours ago, JBrwn said:

That makes sense. Well, don't rule anything out then! Every student has a different experience at these schools.

I'd think of which state I'd most want to live in and which MSW fits in the most w/ the type of experience/education you want to have. No school will be perfect; it's more about the experience that you want to cultivate for yourself.

Columbia is in the heart of Harlem. So, if you decide to go, you'll definitely have a very different experience from how you grew up, and that would be an education in itself. It's also ranked in the top 5. So, it probably has a good curriculum/faculty in comparison to the other schools.

Also, every institution of higher education will have anti-Blackness. So, if that's your reason for second guessing Columbia, then you wouldn't be able to go to any grad school.

Unfortunately, you are correct. It is hard to be an overthinker, in the field of social work, within systems that seem to make the ethical choice impossible or near to it. Thank you for the input! I am planning on attending an online program, which fuels the anxiety as people often feel comfortable to espouse racist, sexist, ableist, classist, ageist rhetoric far easier from behind a screen, even with cameras on. The waiting for decisions can also add to the overthinking about which single program will be the best choice.. Thank you everyone for being a sounding board for my thoughts and for the input. Good luck to all! 

36 minutes ago, isabellovesfrogs said:

Hi :) I just applied and was accepted to the Boston College MSW program. Does anyone know reviews from people who have been there? 

Congratulations! When did you apply for the program?? I've applied on march 15th and still waiting to hear from them :(

anyone else who applied to columbia on or around feb 15th-- have y'all heard anything yet? they had told me I'd be hearing within 2-3 weeks with a note on my file that I had upcoming deadlines and it's nearing the end of the third week. starting to get concerned because I only have until the 15th to get back to another program and want to be able to have time to really make an informed decision:')

1 hour ago, srose2022 said:

anyone else who applied to columbia on or around feb 15th-- have y'all heard anything yet? they had told me I'd be hearing within 2-3 weeks with a note on my file that I had upcoming deadlines and it's nearing the end of the third week. starting to get concerned because I only have until the 15th to get back to another program and want to be able to have time to really make an informed decision:')

I heard it takes 8-9 weeks for them to process applications. So, anyone who applied in Feb 15, should hear in the next 2 weeks.

Why don't you ask the other program for an extension?

Edited by JBrwn

3 minutes ago, JBrwn said:

I heard it takes 8-9 weeks for them to respond. So, you'll probably hear in the next two weeks.

Why don't you ask the other program for an extension?

unfortunately I already did ? nyu originally gave me until the 9th and I got a final extension to the 15th. columbia said they made a mark on my file, but again, I'm nearing the end of the timeline they gave me and there's only a few days between then and when I have to let nyu know