2022 Applicants

Hey, so I did not receive a rejection or anything from CU Boulder English Phd, but I checked the portal to see if it had updated and now instead of "PhD" it says "MA". 

I assume this means I was rejected for the PhD and am being considered for the MA instead? Do you all think that is a fair assumption?

Edited by medievalpeasant

On 2/20/2022 at 8:53 PM, Shake829 said:

I first reached out to the director of graduate studies. She answered my message that evening and said that she didn’t know anything about the open house and that applications were still in review, and that she hoped decisions would be out in the next few weeks. She then CC’d the coordinator to see if she had any info about the open house. The coordinator said that the open house was nothing but also said the same thing: applications are still in review. 

Could just be the DGS not wanting to release a decision early via email, but who knows! I crossed them off my list a while back when those interviews started going out, so I’d be surprised if anything happens.

A lot of the people getting into CUNY seem to be getting other offers, so I’m hoping my spot on the waitlist is up soon—staying positive!

So, there is a lone Northeastern waitlist on the dashboard which would mean acceptances have gone out already (I assume)? Their phd cohort sizes are incredibly small from what I know (4-5) and maybe those who have been admitted haven't reported their acceptances? 

On 2/21/2022 at 12:12 AM, phdapplicant321 said:

Congrats! I am sure I will see you at some of the acceptance events for Cornell and Brown, if you are going? When did you hear back from Berkeley, may I ask?

Yes, I'll be going, if time zone allows! I didn't officially hear back from them, but a friend of mine got in and they let her know that they'd sent out acceptances already, so I think it's just a case of rejections coming out late. Someone on this forum posted a similar thing for NYU - they've sent out all the accepts already. I'm also going to assume rejection from them. (goodbye new york dreams)!

Let us know when you hear from Columbia! I wasn't interviewed, but I'm crossing my fingers really hard anyway.

Edited by Submarina

I emailed the DGS at Illinois Urbana-Champaign. He confirmed what someone said on the results board a few weeks ago -- they're finished with their deliberations, and if you haven't heard from them by now, you've been rejected. :( 

35 minutes ago, thursdaysnext said:

Is there any interest in a Waitlist/Movement forum again this year?

Let's start one! I think it may be helpful to folks, especially those who may not post regularly on this forum but are still interested in the information. 

Hello all- early modernist here! Was waitlisted at USC and Notre Dame last cycle and didn't make it off those lists. This year I've got

Acceptances from UC San Diego, University of Connecticut, and University of Washington

Waitlists from: USC, UC- Davis, CUNY, UT Austin, WUSTL, and one of those long waitlists from UNC Chapel Hill

Some rejections and some schools still pending. 

15 minutes ago, thursdaysnext said:

Hello all- early modernist here! Was waitlisted at USC and Notre Dame last cycle and didn't make it off those lists. This year I've got

Acceptances from UC San Diego, University of Connecticut, and University of Washington

Waitlists from: USC, UC- Davis, CUNY, UT Austin, WUSTL, and one of those long waitlists from UNC Chapel Hill

Some rejections and some schools still pending. 

Thanks for making this thread! Which track are you in at UW?

I am still waiting to hear back from 3 programs, but so far I am waitlisted at University of Washington and in for the Masters program at UW-Milwaukee but waitlisted for funding. I am hopeful about this cycle after a shutout (only 4 applications) last cycle!

Just now, Cordelipup said:

Thanks for making this thread! Which track are you in at UW?

I am still waiting to hear back from 3 programs, but so far I am waitlisted at University of Washington and in for the Masters program at UW-Milwaukee but waitlisted for funding. I am hopeful about this cycle after a shutout (only 4 applications) last cycle!

Literature and Culture track- And yeah, I applied to A LOT more programs this year than I did last year. And though I also did a lot of work on my applications between then and now, I definitely feel like more applications paid off. 

2 minutes ago, thursdaysnext said:

Literature and Culture track- And yeah, I applied to A LOT more programs this year than I did last year. And though I also did a lot of work on my applications between then and now, I definitely feel like more applications paid off. 

Congratulations! I applied for Lang & Rhetoric. It is such a beautiful school!

2 hours ago, taylorjunebug said:

I emailed the DGS at Illinois Urbana-Champaign. He confirmed what someone said on the results board a few weeks ago -- they're finished with their deliberations, and if you haven't heard from them by now, you've been rejected. :( 

I hate them. Can't wait to apply there again when I finish my MA ?

3 hours ago, taylorjunebug said:

this dynamic feels unnecessary mean, bordering on disrespectful ? I was going back to see how my program has handled rejections in the previous years and saw a post by someone who hadn't received any news at all, wrote to the program on march 12th (!!!!!!!!!!!) and they told him he had been rejected

19 minutes ago, phdapplicant321 said:

Just got the email that I'm in at Columbia! Ahhhhhhhhhh 

Congrats! That's great news for you!

Anyone hear anything about rejections or waitlists? Or is it safe to assume that it's an implied rejection if I hear nothing?

22 hours ago, Hard times! said:

So, there is a lone Northeastern waitlist on the dashboard which would mean acceptances have gone out already (I assume)? Their phd cohort sizes are incredibly small from what I know (4-5) and maybe those who have been admitted haven't reported their acceptances? 

That makes sense to me. I also heard of the small cohort size. Hopefully we’ll get answers soon :)

28 minutes ago, Shake829 said:

That makes sense to me. I also heard of the small cohort size. Hopefully we’ll get answers soon :)

Why don't they send out the rejection letters if they are sure about the rejections at least?! Even if they have some unranked secret waitlist I am sure that would not have more than 10 people. Why not just reject the rest? I mean I know NE is a great place for you since you do early modern and there are chances you are still be in the game. Then again, I am sure there are people like me who have applied because the department has an expert working there though the field in itself isn't the department's focus at all... I know for certain it's a rejection for me but knowing helps. They are already behind schedule (usually they release decisions in early February), aren't they? So unpredictable, their ways, oh!