2023 Fall Sociology Applications - Support, Advice, Results, Etc

SportySpice

15 hours ago, nicolesaparty said:

I got an invite too, can you explain what you think the pre-admission event is exactly? My mentor said I was basically in but to treat it like a formal interview?? 

it's very likely that there will be interview sessions scheduled during the campus visit-- so this is a kind of interview.

41 minutes ago, whyamIhere said:

To the post above, I didn't apply to UChicago but I know a few who did and they haven't heard back either. It is strange and nerve-racking but unfortunately, there is nothing you can do but be patient. Good luck!

Thanks for letting me know others haven't heard back either. It makes me feel less anxious. And good luck to you too (if you are also applying this year)!

13 minutes ago, saffasrass said:

I'm in the same boat on Chicago. They definitely don't seem to have made any moves yet, including sending out interview requests.

Thanks for letting me know. Though I guess they do have to send out invites before the end of this month which means probably this week. Let's wait and see.

55 minutes ago, ayitao said:

Thanks for letting me know. Though I guess they do have to send out invites before the end of this month which means probably this week. Let's wait and see.

I don't think they have to send them out this month, unless I missed something on their website that said that? There's definitely no hard cutoffs on when interview requests have to be sent out that I've seen.

Just now, saffasrass said:

I don't think they have to send them out this month, unless I missed something on their website that said that? There's definitely no hard cutoffs on when interview requests have to be sent out that I've seen.

Sorry I wasnt being clear. I meant that judging by previous years (which they have of course proved no definitive guideline for this year), no single invites were sent out after Feb, but then yes they don't have to this year... only makes things so much more unbearable 

35 minutes ago, Z_Chen said:

Does UChicago sociology only admit those who are interviewed?

It's hard to know with 100% certainty, but it seems like most departments that do conduct interviews will also only accept/waitlist individuals who they interviewed.

In previous years Chicago has sent out interview requests one week, rejections the next, and acceptances/waitlists the one after. 

1 hour ago, epoch61 said:

i applied this year. but haven't heard anything from the school.

Decisions might be rolling out pretty soon so keep the faith! I actually just got accepted via telephone call about two hours ago and wanted to know if anyone else had heard anything as well, and also what their research interests are. I did see the acceptance post on grad cafe. 

3 hours ago, whyamIhere said:

Decisions might be rolling out pretty soon so keep the faith! I actually just got accepted via telephone call about two hours ago and wanted to know if anyone else had heard anything as well, and also what their research interests are. I did see the acceptance post on grad cafe. 

congratulations! what's your status on application homepage? mine still marked as 'submitted'. And by the way, do you know how many cohorts do they recruit this year? 

8 hours ago, epoch61 said:

congratulations! what's your status on application homepage? mine still marked as 'submitted'. And by the way, do you know how many cohorts do they recruit this year? 

My portal still says submitted as well. I don't know how many people are in a cohort but I am guessing that it would be small because it is a small and relatively new program. 

Hey All! Just got an interview invite from a POI at Irvine - has anyone been through this interview process who might have some tips on how to prepare? ? First response this season so I'm feeling pretty nervous! 

To the poster asking on Monday about UCI interviews - they are definitely very spread out because I only heard today!

25 minutes ago, sluggerotoole said:

Hey All! Just got an interview invite from a POI at Irvine - has anyone been through this interview process who might have some tips on how to prepare? ? First response this season so I'm feeling pretty nervous! 

To the poster asking on Monday about UCI interviews - they are definitely very spread out because I only heard today!

Congrats! Hope you do well on the interview. What are your research interests? I also applied for UCI but I haven't got any emails from UCI. 

4 hours ago, Theadora said:

Did anyone who got a Yale interview apply jointly to WGSS? Holding out hope that maybe those with joint apps are taking longer to send out interviews since I only saw two folks post about interviews. 

apparently this was the week for all interviews, according to POI. I had mine this morning, it was very quick: only 20 min bc they said they were interviewing a big batch today. Mostly qs about current work and why a joint program + time for questions on my end.