Fall 2023 Admissions

DeoTank

2 hours ago, himy_95 said:

Has anyone contacted Yale lately? I'm starting to get nervous thinking maybe they have reached out to people already since I know they only take a very small amount each year. Also I think they had sent out interview invites by this time last year. 

I think we're still within the normal time frame! You could contact if you're feeling real anxious about it, but there isn't anything out of the ordinary about hearing nothing from them yet. I know a lot of people on this thread applied there, but it's still early days out there ?

1 hour ago, ohgodwhy said:

I think we're still within the normal time frame! You could contact if you're feeling real anxious about it, but there isn't anything out of the ordinary about hearing nothing from them yet. I know a lot of people on this thread applied there, but it's still early days out there ?

No news is good news. I think they haven't sent out the interview calls out yet. 

4 hours ago, himy_95 said:

Has anyone contacted Yale lately? I'm starting to get nervous thinking maybe they have reached out to people already since I know they only take a very small amount each year. Also I think they had sent out interview invites by this time last year. 

I saw one person posted on the art history forum that he/she did an interview for Yale anthropology on Jan 31st. Not sure if it's for archaeology and sociocultural tho but it's making me feel nervous...

28 minutes ago, westward_wanderer said:
UMich update: I was rejected after a long period of silence. It's not a surprise given the lack of interview. 

Sorry about it! I hope you are feeling okay and you have other good (or better) options! May I ask if you applied for sociocultural? I saw two updates about the dual program in History and Anthropology at UMich and not sure if there's any updates yet for the sociocultural track.

Michigan's History and Anthro typically doesn't do interviews but I was interviewed for Anthropology. I applied to both. I got waitlisted at History and Anthro (again UGH it's the same exact email word for word as last time) but I haven't heard from Anthropology. However, they don't really offer admission to both so I am thinking it's a soft rejection from general Anthro department.

Edit - same as above, if anyone has heard from Michigan Sociocultural Anthropology (NOT + history) I'd love to know!

Edited by chaffinch

5 hours ago, xxyyzzz said:

I saw one person posted on the art history forum that he/she did an interview for Yale anthropology on Jan 31st. Not sure if it's for archaeology and sociocultural tho but it's making me feel nervous...

Hi ! Yes that was me, answering you on this thread since it's probably more useful here :) 

I do not know if Yale has ended their interview process or not, what I do k now is that as you said I was invited for an interview last Monday, on the 30th, and they said that they were going to do several more interviews that week (i.e. last week) and maybe this week as well (but I can't remember exactly !). What they DID say is that they would take a long take to get back to us, and that we would receive answers round mid-February / beginning of March / mid-March for some of us. I hope this helps !

Then again, and I don't know if this is helpful or not but : I had NOT contacted any potential supervisors before applying to Yale so maybe that's why they interviewed me ? And maybe they don't do interviews with people they have already been in touch with ?

All the best to everyone out there x Stressful times indeed ! 

P.S. : Someone else posted about Princeton as well I think, I'm also in the no-interview group for that one haha ! 

8 hours ago, TinCanBaby said:

Yeh so I’m from LA.  If anyone gets an offer letter and wants to know how to negotiate it I can be of assistance. 30k in LA at USC is something to think about really.

i have a spouse who can travel with work and do things remotely so I’m not considering these things as much.  Although I do feel that my expertise, project and potential have a particular value.

Brown has a pretty comfortable stipend and many opportunities to get internal funds.

i can’t even remember what UC I said.

Thanks! I would probably want to talk to you more later. I am waiting for UC Daivs's formal offer to see how much they will give to me, and waiting UCI and USC. All CA universities with poor pay I guess. I am an international student who've never been to CA...So, life conditions and stipend makes very confused. 

45 minutes ago, Ouriah said:

Hi ! Yes that was me, answering you on this thread since it's probably more useful here :) 

I do not know if Yale has ended their interview process or not, what I do k now is that as you said I was invited for an interview last Monday, on the 30th, and they said that they were going to do several more interviews that week (i.e. last week) and maybe this week as well (but I can't remember exactly !). What they DID say is that they would take a long take to get back to us, and that we would receive answers round mid-February / beginning of March / mid-March for some of us. I hope this helps !

Then again, and I don't know if this is helpful or not but : I had NOT contacted any potential supervisors before applying to Yale so maybe that's why they interviewed me ? And maybe they don't do interviews with people they have already been in touch with ?

P.S. : Someone else posted about Princeton as well I think, I'm also in the no-interview group for that one haha ! 

Oh lord...Thank you for sharing this!! I am also applying for the sociocultural track for Yale but haven't got any update from them. >_< May I ask how many people interviewed you? Thank you! 

5 minutes ago, OffSTpl said:

Thanks! I would probably want to talk to you more later. I am waiting for UC Daivs's formal offer to see how much they will give to me, and waiting UCI and USC. All CA universities with poor pay I guess. I am an international student who've never been to CA...So, life conditions and stipend makes very confused. 

I think the cost of living is cheaper near Davis but I am not sure. Best of luck yes send me a message if you have questions!

1 minute ago, AAAAAYYYYY said:

Oh lord...Thank you for sharing this!! I am also applying for the sociocultural track for Yale but haven't got any update from them. >_< May I ask how many people interviewed you? Thank you! 

Sure ! Two people from the Department, both my first and third potential supervisors choices (I had mentioned them in my SOP, and quoted one of them haha). If you want to message me don't hesitate !

Also : the email was in my spam and very VERY weirdly written, with weird spacing, so at first I brushed it off and deleted it and only came back to check two days after this - it was from the DGS, not the professors themselves. 

2 hours ago, Ouriah said:

Thank you for taking the time to reply! Fingers crossed for your interview result!

2 hours ago, Ouriah said:

I think they interviewed all potential candidates. Unfortunately I did not receive any interview requests. Though I applied to their combined WGSS and Anthro Program. So I do not know how that works. I guess I am rejected. It stings as I only applied to Yale. But anyway 

Good Luck! I hope you get in 

57 minutes ago, tkb32932333 said:

I think they interviewed all potential candidates. Unfortunately I did not receive any interview requests. Though I applied to their combined WGSS and Anthro Program. So I do not know how that works. I guess I am rejected. It stings as I only applied to Yale. But anyway 

Good Luck! I hope you get in 

You know, it might be a slightly different process then because I applied to their other combine program with the Yale School of Environment, and they did say that interviews were held separately by the professors, even though the email I received came from the DGS and seemed to be a general one aimed at various students.

I honestly hope you hear back from them ! Wouldn't hurt to contact the DGS I guess ? Wishing you all the best, and thank you for your kind words. 

1 hour ago, Ouriah said:

You know, it might be a slightly different process then because I applied to their other combine program with the Yale School of Environment, and they did say that interviews were held separately by the professors, even though the email I received came from the DGS and seemed to be a general one aimed at various students.

I honestly hope you hear back from them ! Wouldn't hurt to contact the DGS I guess ? Wishing you all the best, and thank you for your kind words. 

Yeah I am debating whether I should write to the DGS or not. I think they made the decision already. So will just wait for the rejection. Thank you for being so kind

8 hours ago, tkb3293 said:

Yeah I am debating whether I should write to the DGS or not. I think they made the decision already. So will just wait for the rejection. Thank you for being so kind

I think also the different tracks may do interviews differently. I'm not sure if you also applied for social, but if not there's definitely still a chance (at least that's what I'm telling myself as I also haven't heard anything from Yale)

46 minutes ago, himy_95 said:

Just got an offer from Michigan! I assumed I hadn't got in since I never got an interview!

Wow congratulations! I had heard that candidates that don't need further scrutinizing get accepted without an interview. You must have been a shoo-in that they didn't need to interview you. May I know your stats and application details?

2 minutes ago, PhilAnthro said:

Wow congratulations! I had heard that candidates that don't need further scrutinizing get accepted without an interview. You must have been a shoo-in that they didn't need to interview you. May I know your stats and application details?

Thank you! It may be because I applied to the biological track, but I have no idea honestly. My undergrad GPA wasn't super amazing (3.5) but I've done a masters and have worked in a few labs that relate. I have one publication from undergrad, and just submitted my masters thesis for review. Hope that helps! 

21 hours ago, xxyyzzz said:

Sorry about it! I hope you are feeling okay and you have other good (or better) options! May I ask if you applied for sociocultural? I saw two updates about the dual program in History and Anthropology at UMich and not sure if there's any updates yet for the sociocultural track.

I was the dual Hist/Anthro (sociocultural).