On 1/20/2011 at 12:52 PM, lservitje said:

Intertextuality, History of Medicine, New Media

UCLA

USC

UCSD

UCI

UCR

UCSB

You probably already know this, but WashU has a Dr. Gerald Early and Dr. William Maxwell who do New Media. This probably doesn't help at this point, and you seem pretty settled on California....

What's their placement record like? I had really thought about adding Miami/Ohio to my list late in the game, but there just wasn't enough time. I loved the description on their page, and they seemed to not only welcome former teachers, but anxious to get them. I've already sort of mentally bookmarked them as a school for next year's app season if I get swept this year.

For Comp/Rhet, their placement is strong. They have more specific info on their department homepage obviously; I know that they really drill doctoral students on the exigencies of the job market, with lots of time spent grooming for interviews and departmental interaction. Again, PM me and I can give you additional details if needed. Best of luck this round.

Hi all--best of luck to everyone!

CSU (pcat)

FSU (rhet/comp)

Georgia Tech (dm)

U Louisville (rhet/comp)

Minnesota (rstc) -- accepted

MSU (rhet&writing) -- rejected

NC State (crdm)

Northwestern (mts)

OSU (rhet/comp)

Pittsburgh (ccs)

WUSTL (English)

Purdue (rhet/comp)

Texas Tech (tcr)

UT Austin (dig. lit.)

Indeed--congrats! I'm waiting to hear back from Minnesota's American Studies department. Last year a bunch of acceptances went out this week. Anyone else apply to that program?

Was considering it, it's such a great program and I'm a big fan of winter and biking, so the Twin Cities seemed perfect for me. But, in the end, it just seems too middle-of-nowhere for me. I'd only be able to fly home and no family would ever be able to make that sort of journey out to see me (they're older). Seeing as I live in Germany now and my family is on the East Coast, they want me home and I think they'd kill me if I ended up back in the country and still more than a thousand miles away. Good luck though!

Personally, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that an invitation to interview for Duke's Literature Program may pop up in my inbox sometime this week. People were notified on January 25th last year. Anyone else applying there?

schools are in my signature, emphasis is caribbean/postcolonial lit.

HAHA i can't spell pittsburgh right there either. no wonder i spelled it wrong in one place on my SOP...

We're applying to 3 of the same programs and have the same field of interest! -- GOOD LUCK!!

Rhetoric and Scientific and Technical Communication--it's within the Department of Writing Studies.

Congrats on the acceptance. A former student in my MA program is currently finishing his second year there, and loves the school and the program (the city as well, for what that matters).

Congrats on the acceptance. A former student in my MA program is currently finishing his second year there, and loves the school and the program (the city as well, for what that matters).

Thank you, and that is good to hear. I've never been to Minneapolis and am looking forward to visiting--hoping to not freeze.

hey can u tell me how to check my application status for Suny-Stonybrook?? thx!

SUNY and CUNY are different--State University of NY vs. City University of NY.

SUNY schools can offer PhD programs in their individual campuses (e.g. Stony Brook, Albany), but CUNY only offers PhDs through their Graduate Center. Since I said I applied to CUNY--not SUNY Stony Brook--I won't be able to help you. However, you can always contact the graduate admissions counselors to ask about your status (and this goes for any school, really).

Indeed--congrats! I'm waiting to hear back from Minnesota's American Studies department. Last year a bunch of acceptances went out this week. Anyone else apply to that program?

I'm waiting, too. I know that on January 11th the admissions committee met to make final decisions, but I hadn't hear anything yet.

haha, good luck with that. it's been "warm" this week (aka like the 20s) but it was BRUTAL the week before. ie the actual temperature before windchill was -18 when i woke up (and i don't wake up that early). UMN has a beautiful campus though and i enjoyed my undergrad there quite a bit. hope you enjoy your visit :)

Oh, wow. It was 70 here today. I do hear it's a fun city, though, so I'm willing to bundle up!

Thank you, and that is good to hear. I've never been to Minneapolis and am looking forward to visiting--hoping to not freeze.

Minneapolis is a delightful city, you should enjoy the visit (if a beer drinker, their local micro-brewery Surly puts out some delicious brews). As for the temperature . . . good luck.

Hey there guys, I applied to:

SUNY Stony Brook

Washington University in St. Louis

University of New Mexico

NYU

UConn

Penn State

Loyola (Chicago)

Old Dominion

Florida State University

Georgia State University

(All English PhD) Medieval British literature and queer / feminist theory

Good luck to everyone!!!

First time posting! But it feels good to log all of our efforts here. :)

Applied to:

Lehigh

Rutgers

CUNY Grad

University of Maryland, College Park

U Penn

WashU

Fordham

Penn State

SUNY Binghamton

All English PhD, 19th century American, poetry, Whitman.

2nd time applicant - here's to better luck this time around!!

I applied to Rutgers and UMD as well. I don't have a whole lot of hope for Rutgers, but UMD is a really nice fit for me (Shakespeare and Renaissance pedagogy). Two of your schools (Fordham and WUSTL) are on my list for next year if things don't work out with this round of apps. Good luck!

I didn't want to list my applications until I finished submitting them, so:

WUSTL (English PhD)

UT-Austin (English PhD)

UT-Austin (Higher Education Administration MA)

Oxford (English MPhil)

U Pittsburgh (English PhD)

Boston U (English PhD)

U Florida (English MA/PhD)

Georgetown (English MA)

Carnegie Mellon (Professional Writing MA)

Whew! I can't even describe how nervous I am. I applied to several places last year and got in nowhere.