12 hours ago, Gogo Ishii said:

hi friends, does no interview mean we got rejected? 

still seeing “submitted” for UPenn and Princeton—as many of you have said, that’s a silent rejection. no interview. suuuuper bummed… also seeing “submitted” for literally all the other schools i applied to so figured i’d ask! would help to know for sure if i just washed all that money down the drain—i can get to coping earlier rather than later hahaah

It depends on the program. As you say, if you don't get an interview with Princeton, then, unfortunately, you won't be getting an offer. But other programs don't do interviews. The trouble is that sometimes programs change their admissions process. For example, Princeton only started doing interviews last year. We just have to sit tight and endure the excruciating wait. Good luck!

1 hour ago, wrappedupinclouds said:

It depends on the program. As you say, if you don't get an interview with Princeton, then, unfortunately, you won't be getting an offer. But other programs don't do interviews. The trouble is that sometimes programs change their admissions process. For example, Princeton only started doing interviews last year. We just have to sit tight and endure the excruciating wait. Good luck!

I'm just curious, but how do you know this about Princeton? Is this just speculative and based off of last year's results? 

10 minutes ago, ittybittylitty said:

I'm just curious, but how do you know this about Princeton? Is this just speculative and based off of last year's results? 

If you read the department's annual report, there's a bit in there somewhere from the DGS which talks about changing the admissions process: https://english.princeton.edu/news/english-publishes-2022-23-annual-report 

15 minutes ago, bluemojav said:

Was the interview for USC for anyone on here? I was surprised to see it, because nobody’s ever posted about getting interviewed there in the past on here.

I was wondering the same thing. Their website states that an interview "is not required" for admission although I wonder if they're switching up the process this year. 

26 minutes ago, ©har1ie said:

Same. 😔

seeing that we're both waitlisted at Illinois and rejected by Northwestern, maybe our paths will cross more or we'll be parallels, it's ok, glad to have camaraderie here on the forums

Also super nervous and obsessively checking my email as my next three are big schools including the two ivies 🫠 but then have two québécois schools later!!

Northwestern emailed me to check my portal for my admission decision and was literally another rejection letter written by someone else 😩 this is overkill 

Sorry to hear about the rejections coming in! :( I am assuming a quiet rejection from Penn and Northeastern right now based on not getting interview invites. It’s rough out here. 

2 minutes ago, leguinian22 said:

OUCH that's cruel.

meanwhile, I was thinking: "oh if I don't get in anywhere this cycle, may reapply to Northwestern next year" and these emails/letters are like "not this year, for sure", so mean but c'est la vie of doctoral admissions

On 1/30/2024 at 2:12 PM, wrappedupinclouds said:

If you read the department's annual report, there's a bit in there somewhere from the DGS which talks about changing the admissions process: https://english.princeton.edu/news/english-publishes-2022-23-annual-report 

Thanks! I know it's wishful thinking, but I'm hoping interview invites go out in batches. 

32 minutes ago, gagne said:

meanwhile, I was thinking: "oh if I don't get in anywhere this cycle, may reapply to Northwestern next year" and these emails/letters are like "not this year, for sure", so mean but c'est la vie of doctoral admissions

I got in last year, but turned down my offer. Fwiw, I'm happy to chat if you decide to reapply. 

rejected by UChicago (they finally updated my portal)

a little sad since my current institution is a sister institution 

I have not received any positive feedback on my applications thus far, so I am kind of assuming the worst at this point. Was told that schools really value a solid writing sample, and I am doing all the right things...I feel that is correct. Applied to twelve schools and have seen recent results from one of them with no news yet... this is my first application cycle and while I prepared for the worst and hoped to learn something, this is pretty brutal so far.

For context, I went to a fairly prestigious undergrad institution (not an Ivy but a rigorous public institution) and am trying so hard to remember that I applied to gain momentum. Still on a good trajectory. Was just rejected from a school that I thought was a pretty good fit and while a great institution, not exactly a reach. Gaining tough skin.

Needed to write that out. 0 a, 3 r, 9 p.

6 minutes ago, voiceofunreason said:

I have not received any positive feedback on my applications thus far, so I am kind of assuming the worst at this point. Was told that schools really value a solid writing sample, and I am doing all the right things...I feel that is correct. Applied to twelve schools and have seen recent results from one of them with no news yet... this is my first application cycle and while I prepared for the worst and hoped to learn something, this is pretty brutal so far.

For context, I went to a fairly prestigious undergrad institution (not an Ivy but a rigorous public institution) and am trying so hard to remember that I applied to gain momentum. Still on a good trajectory. Was just rejected from a school that I thought was a pretty good fit and while a great institution, not exactly a reach. Gaining tough skin.

Needed to write that out. 0 a, 3 r, 9 p.

It’s absolutely rough out here. I got all rejections for my first cycle and worked a a LOT on my writing sample/SOP/finding a good fit this round, and have only heard back from one doctoral program (same rejection we commiserated about before). Keep your head up!

Edited by bluemojav

I agree that it's tough! I went to a fancy undergraduate and while I know I have proven I can do well in graduate school, I knew PhD applications were going to be tough and what I called a "slaughter" months ago before I even finished submitting materials. One thing I remind myself of as a writer is the idea of putting your ideas and work out there even if it's met with rejection because at the end, there are areas for improvement including bluemojav's point about best fit!

I think most of mine are a best fit/great fit, but I might be wrong about 2-3 of them when I reflect more upon it. I also know there are limits I place like not being able to live anywhere hot or super expensive (goodbye CA!) despite some schools in these regions being perfect fits for my research.

11 minutes ago, ittybittylitty said:

Does anyone have the scoop on NYU interviews, like is it something they do for all admits? 

I'm pretty sure they interview their PhD admits/waitlists; not sure about MA admits. I did not apply this year, but last year was told basically that. 

Hello y'all, new here. but I have been lurking. Finally made an account. Freaked out bc UCLA engl dept. asked me to resend transcripts before decisions were released. In their email, they said decisions will be released on or by Feb 15. So... get ready I guess if any1 else applied.