2023-2024 Application Thread

Theory007

5 minutes ago, OrlandHistorian said:

First contact with Pitt, the graduate administrator, to confirm if I would be graduating with a master's degree and an updated transcript.  

I applied to Pitt and have no idea what’s going on with them. It’s now March 1st, and with the commitment date being April 15th, you’d think we would have decisions by now

3 minutes ago, Polisci882 said:

I applied to Pitt and have no idea what’s going on with them. It’s now March 1st, and with the commitment date being April 15th, you’d think we would have decisions by now

This is my first contact with them outside of my conversations with faculty. And yeah, it seems late. I need to travel a lot this month to other campuses, so I wonder what they're thinking since the commitment date is quickly approaching. 

2 hours ago, cct8798 said:

Did pitt release admission? someone seems to have been accepted. 

I haven’t heard a peep from them so idk🤷🏻‍♀️ 

7 hours ago, ThucydidesLatte said:

Guys, UNC ghosted me lol. No rejection, no acceptance, no waitlist, nothing. What do you recommend me to do?

I emailed them and they basically said that all the decisions have been made, admissions were sent out a while ago and if you haven’t heard it’s because they grad school hasn’t yet sent out the rejection. 

2 hours ago, Anonymous39 said:

Has anyone heard anything from Oxford DPIR yet?

No. However, I know that while most Oxford master and DPhil applications are rolling admission/decisions, they actually do send out DPIR DPhil results relatively reliably on one date, usually within the last 10 days of March. I am an internal candidate and haven't heard anything from other people here either...

Funding decisions usually come one or two months later, if you haven't gotten Nuffield, which should already be included in your decision letter.

37 minutes ago, Polisci882 said:

People who were admitted to Georgetown, did they already have their visit days? I haven’t heard anything from them yet, so I’m assuming a rejection at this point 

I have not heard anything from them as well, mate.  I don’t understand why they hold onto our applications if they want to reject us. 

6 hours ago, cbsag123 said:

Does anyone know if it's possible to get offered a spot off the waitlist after april 15th? If that happens, can I decline my offer that I would have accepted by then?

As far as I know from a previous admission cycle, and according to what I have been informed from the university that waitlisted me, the April 15th deadline is firm.

I know it is weird, but you must consider the optics. Academia is a very close and small circle, and making decisions that might make you look like an unserious student/candidate/future scholar is probably a risk not worth taking.

9 minutes ago, ThucydidesLatte said:

As far as I know from a previous admission cycle, and according to what I have been informed from the university that waitlisted me, the April 15th deadline is firm.

I know it is weird, but you must consider the optics. Academia is a very close and small circle, and making decisions that might make you look like an unserious student/candidate/future scholar is probably a risk not worth taking.

i concur that the april.15 is firm, as reiterated by several schools that waitlisted me. but with regard to relinquishing offers after april.15 - this is not unseriousness; this is about looking out for yourself. if a spot at a school with better career prospect opens up, i'd go for it without hesitation. 

24 minutes ago, barthestow said:

i concur that the april.15 is firm, as reiterated by several schools that waitlisted me. but with regard to relinquishing offers after april.15 - this is not unseriousness; this is about looking out for yourself. if a spot at a school with better career prospect opens up, i'd go for it without hesitation. 

I get your point, and it's also valid pov. 😌

1 hour ago, ThucydidesLatte said:

What is meant by the April 15th deadline is firm? Do you mean an admission offer must be accepted by April 15th or it is at risk of being lost? 

6 minutes ago, Polisci882 said:

What is meant by the April 15th deadline is firm? Do you mean an admission offer must be accepted by April 15th or it is at risk of being lost? 

Yes, not responding by April 15th normally is taken as if you are rejecting their offer.

Edited by ThucydidesLatte
n/a

6 minutes ago, ThucydidesLatte said:

Yes, not responding by April 15th normally is taken as if you are rejecting their offer.

That's why when you are 100% sure you are not attending a certain school, it is crucial to inform the Department in question ASAP because if you don't actively reject an offer, the Department might be unable to move things on the waitlist and prepare new offers. When April 15th comes, everything is over; the admission cycle officially ends.

36 minutes ago, ThucydidesLatte said:

That's why when you are 100% sure you are not attending a certain school, it is crucial to inform the Department in question ASAP because if you don't actively reject an offer, the Department might be unable to move things on the waitlist and prepare new offers. When April 15th comes, everything is over; the admission cycle officially ends.

Thank you! I’ve gotten into two schools (rice and Cornell), so once I’ve gotten to attend both of their visit days, i do plan to make my final decision shortly after, in hopes that it allows for some waitlist movement. 

Edited by Polisci882

1 hour ago, Polisci882 said:

Thank you! I’ve gotten into two schools (rice and Cornell), so once I’ve gotten to attend both of their visit days, i do plan to make my final decision shortly after, in hopes that it allows for some waitlist movement. 

That's super nice. I really hope everyone is on the same page.

It is not about putting pressure or pushing anyone to decide on what they are not ready to; just the general recommendation is to inform the decision as soon as they are ready... not letting it to the last minute, or even worse, don't respond to an offer at all, since there are a lot of people waiting.

Good luck on your visit days!!!

17 hours ago, Polisci882 said:

Need the same energy from people who got into ******* or ********