crash1996 Posted March 17 Posted March 17 4 hours ago, linesofdemarcation said: Hi all! Hope this is the right place to ask (I’m new to GradCafe). I was recently admitted to a program and had a question about how funding is typically communicated. I had been told that the official offer letter would include funding details, but the letter I received only listed tuition and directed me to HR regarding a possible tuition concession (based on a family member’s employment at the university, so irrelevant to department funding.) The program website states that all students receive financial assistance, and from what I can tell, students are usually offered at least 50% tuition support, usually more. My question is: should I assume that what’s in the letter reflects the full offer, and they’re offsetting my merit-based aid with my family member’s tuition concession? That would be surprising, given they say all students receive financial assistance, and the family member discount is not high. Thanks all, I really appreciate any insight. i'd recommend reaching out to the chair of your program to clarify! i had a similar thing happen with two of my schools, where the official offer letter only had scholarship information, but my full offer actually included a TAship as well. so, once i reached out to the respective chairs, they were able to tell me the scope of what was included in my package. hope this helps!
SocialKonstruct Posted March 17 Posted March 17 Did anyone accept any offer from ArtCenter? I am a former MFA person there so I can answer any questions.
artschoolfrenzy Posted March 17 Posted March 17 (edited) my goldsmiths interview was only like 10 minutes, is this a bad sign? Edited March 17 by artschoolfrenzy
orangeorangecake Posted March 17 Posted March 17 5 hours ago, artschoolfrenzy said: my goldsmiths interview was only like 10 minutes, is this a bad sign? Mine lasted about half an hour, and throughout it, they kept saying we were running out of time. I received accepted offer a week after the interview.
artschoolfrenzy Posted March 17 Posted March 17 2 minutes ago, orangeorangecake said: Mine lasted about half an hour, and throughout it, they kept saying we were running out of time. I received accepted offer a week after the interview. ah thanks for responding! this makes me even more worried lol
orangeorangecake Posted March 17 Posted March 17 5 minutes ago, artschoolfrenzy said: ah thanks for responding! this makes me even more worried lol I mean don’t worry—this isn’t a highly competitive program. My interview was a total disaster, but I still got accepted.
artschoolfrenzy Posted March 17 Posted March 17 9 minutes ago, orangeorangecake said: I mean don’t worry—this isn’t a highly competitive program. My interview was a total disaster, but I still got accepted. thanks!
BobaCannibal Posted March 18 Posted March 18 22 hours ago, Moodyapplier said: Painting ….but I’ve heard from a few other mutuals that they heard back rejections/acceptances Ah ok, I applied to Designed Objects at SAIC. I got an informal email acceptance several weeks before I got the actual admissions update.
artschoolfrenzy Posted March 18 Posted March 18 19 hours ago, artschoolfrenzy said: I mean don’t worry—this isn’t a highly competitive program. My interview was a total disaster, but I still got accepted. got my acceptance today ! orangeorangecake 1
sillypersimmon.21 Posted March 19 Posted March 19 Just received my rejection letter from university of oregon via email! Never interviewed so i assumed it was coming.
midwestgrain Posted March 19 Posted March 19 Has anyone heard back from SAIC's MFA Photography department? So much time has passed since I submitted my app and haven't heard a peep. About a month ago I reached out asking for clarity on the timeline for releasing decisions, and they said "within the next 2-3 weeks all will be notified of their decision." That was now over 4 weeks ago. Kinda annoying at this point haha.
Tippytiger Posted March 20 Posted March 20 7 hours ago, 959595 said: Anyone here accepted at Tyler?? Hi I was accepted to Tyler painting a few weeks ago. I just got my formal financial offer this week. They were one of my first interviews in February. Hoping to get off of my #1s waitlist. Seems like Tyler has more money and spots to give out based on who accept
noplace Posted March 20 Posted March 20 7 hours ago, Tippytiger said: Hi I was accepted to Tyler painting a few weeks ago. I just got my formal financial offer this week. They were one of my first interviews in February. Hoping to get off of my #1s waitlist. Seems like Tyler has more money and spots to give out based on who accept Who is your number 1?
orangeorangecake Posted March 20 Posted March 20 Is anyone else like me—hasn’t received anything at all from Columbia? No rejection, no interview invitations, no acceptance. It seems like they’ve forgotten about me.
Artart1212 Posted March 21 Posted March 21 Just got my CalArts acceptance to Photo + Media. Zipperhead and SocialKonstruct 1 1
Zipperhead Posted March 21 Posted March 21 I also just got into CalArts for photo and media! SocialKonstruct 1
artluv Posted March 21 Posted March 21 I also was accepted to calarts, if you got a scholarship was that info included in the decision letter? I don't see anything so I am not sure if I just have no scholarship Zipperhead 1
valvalval Posted March 21 Posted March 21 3 hours ago, orangeorangecake said: Is anyone else like me—hasn’t received anything at all from Columbia? No rejection, no interview invitations, no acceptance. It seems like they’ve forgotten about me. Yea me too. I think this is their way of rejecting cuz the interviews were finished long ago. orangeorangecake 1
valvalval Posted March 21 Posted March 21 Would really appreciate some advice/encouragement from those who applied for more than one round. I applied to Hunter, Columbia, SVA, and eventually got accepted to SVA with 15k. (no interviews from others) But decided to decline the offer. It's a great program, but it doesn't seem like the best for artists whose main focus is painting. Also, I asked some friends about their experience there. I know many people waited longer after BFA before going to graduate school. I graduated two years ago. It's a bit hard for international artists to stay here, and I wouldn't want to go back to my country for a few years before applying. I have been painting a lot, going to art events, and getting into a bunch of shows. I guessed I just imagined this round's result would be more positive. But I'm really set for deepening my practice and applying again next year. Would really appreciate any advice. And congratulations to those who got acceptance! Good luck to those who are waiting!!
orangeorangecake Posted March 21 Posted March 21 1 hour ago, artluv said: I also was accepted to calarts, if you got a scholarship was that info included in the decision letter? I don't see anything so I am not sure if I just have no scholarship Same on CalArts, the letter didn't mention anything about scholarships. SocialKonstruct and tooold4artschool 1 1
orangeorangecake Posted March 21 Posted March 21 I'm so anxious—NYU is the only one that hasn't given me any updates since the interview. I need to hear from them before I can make my final decision
tooold4artschool Posted March 21 Posted March 21 1 hour ago, valvalval said: Would really appreciate some advice/encouragement from those who applied for more than one round. I applied to Hunter, Columbia, SVA, and eventually got accepted to SVA with 15k. (no interviews from others) But decided to decline the offer. It's a great program, but it doesn't seem like the best for artists whose main focus is painting. Also, I asked some friends about their experience there. I know many people waited longer after BFA before going to graduate school. I graduated two years ago. It's a bit hard for international artists to stay here, and I wouldn't want to go back to my country for a few years before applying. I have been painting a lot, going to art events, and getting into a bunch of shows. I guessed I just imagined this round's result would be more positive. But I'm really set for deepening my practice and applying again next year. Would really appreciate any advice. And congratulations to those who got acceptance! Good luck to those who are waiting!! Like others have said, the first application year can be rough. Just knowing the process and expectations helps in later applications. You said you applied to SVA, but then decided it wasn't right for you, so you are already figuring out what you want and where you might fit better. Once you identify the programs that might be a good fit for you, you can curate your portfolio better, maybe make some new work, and hone your artist statement into something that aligns your work with that school's vibe. I did the same as you, got into a couple of great schools the first time, but decided they weren't the best fit for me once I had all the facts. I spent the year focused on my practice and applications. I applied again this year and was accepted to my top 3 schools. The extra year provided more information about where to apply, and a better application.
L4mp Posted March 21 Posted March 21 Accepted into Calarts' experimental animation program;) no scholarship info tho
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now