Bonniee Posted March 21 Posted March 21 Hello! Has anyone who applied and interviewed for the sculpture program at Columbia heard back? I had an interview on the 15th of feb, and have yet to hear back...
marxista Posted March 21 Posted March 21 7 hours ago, Bonniee said: Hello! Has anyone who applied and interviewed for the sculpture program at Columbia heard back? I had an interview on the 15th of feb, and have yet to hear back... that is their way of waitlisting—ghosting until a spot opens. Columbia seems like a hard place to get into but if you were interviewed chances are you will get offered a slot before mid-april. They enroll 4-5 students per discipline but actually “accept” most their interviewees.
Headlessowl Posted March 21 Posted March 21 (edited) Okay an update! Tulane, Photo - Accepted! Full Tuition, w/ Funding Stipend and Insurance covered, the first year's stipend being $28000 if I TA/teach a class over the summer for four weeks and apply for a summer grant to work on my thesis show. SAIC, FVNMA - Accepted, No Funding, will be releasing this spot so someone on the waitlist can get in CalArts - Accepted, (on my birthday too, that was a nice gift!) no funding however, but that is pretty typical from my experience of CalArts, and will be releasing my spot soon as well HDK-Valand - Still awaiting on a response, in addition I applied to the Axel Adler Scholarship which would provide Full Tuition Coverage SAIC, Photo - No response yet (assuming that this is just a rejection?) Oxford - Rejection (this one was interesting because I was waitlisted last year.) RISD - Rejection (also waitlisted last year) Yale - Rejection The Royal Academy - Rejection UCLA, Photo - Rejection UCLA, New Genres - Rejection So far, it seems like Tulane will be my pick. The faculty, facilities, and the fact that I get to start teaching, which is my dream to do, is exactly what I want and I love everything about it. However as a trans woman, it's a bit stressful being in such a red state, especially with what has happened recently in Kansas to strip ID from trans folk. I plan on visiting New Orleans soon to get a vibe on the place and see the queer and trans community there so I can chill out a bit. Especially because I have been told over and over by folks that it's a great place to be queer in. However if I am able to receive the Adler scholarship, that will really throw things up in the air because Sweden, well it's Sweden. I also am participating in my first art fair there, I have connections to galleries, curator, and several residencies there as well. Edited March 21 by Headlessowl barbou, orangeorangecake, gdhopeful and 2 others 5
gdhopeful Posted March 21 Posted March 21 Update: I finally heard back from all of my applications. Sharing my results and timeline here for any future graphic design applicants! Good luck from me to you in the future RISD (3-year) - Interviewed 2/9, Accepted 2/19 CalArts (3-year) - Interviewed 1/27, Accepted 2/24 Yale (3-year) - Interviewed 2/23, Waitlisted 3/3 MICA - Interviewed 2/12, Accepted 3/10 BU - Interviewed 2/11, Accepted 2/23 OTIS - Interviewed 3/6, Accepted 3/12 ArtCenter (3-year) - Accepted 3/17 with no interview SocialKonstruct and sillypersimmon.21 1 1
Foehn Posted March 21 Posted March 21 2 hours ago, valvalval said: Would really appreciate some advice/encouragement from those who applied for more than one round. I applied to Hunter, Columbia, SVA, and eventually got accepted to SVA with 15k. (no interviews from others) But decided to decline the offer. It's a great program, but it doesn't seem like the best for artists whose main focus is painting. Also, I asked some friends about their experience there. I know many people waited longer after BFA before going to graduate school. I graduated two years ago. It's a bit hard for international artists to stay here, and I wouldn't want to go back to my country for a few years before applying. I have been painting a lot, going to art events, and getting into a bunch of shows. I guessed I just imagined this round's result would be more positive. But I'm really set for deepening my practice and applying again next year. Would really appreciate any advice. And congratulations to those who got acceptance! Good luck to those who are waiting!! For the next round, I would apply to at least 5-6 schools just to broaden your horizons. Three is a relatively small pool, particularly as an international student. Unfortunately, with the way things are currently going in the U.S. it may be a bit more challenging for international students to find the right fit. I really want to impress upon anyone who will be reapplying next cycle that these highly competitive programs are often actually quite holistic in their evaluations of our applications. Because they get so many applications from talented artists, the deciding factor for acceptance is often related to factors outside of the portfolio and CV. Sometimes those factors are out of your control and just come down to timing. I was rejected from my top choice last year without an interview, but this year I was interviewed, accepted, and offered a competitive fellowship. Yes, I added new work to my portfolio and improved my writing, but there were also things happening behind the scenes at the university that greatly improved my chances for this round. That's why it's important to give yourself a lot of choices, because you never know how the stars are aligning and you only have so much control over the process. Apply to more schools, make some new work, do deep research into the programs and find a genuine connection to the faculty you would want to work with, reflect that connection in your writing. Best of luck!
orangeorangecake Posted March 21 Posted March 21 2 hours ago, Headlessowl said: Okay an update! Tulane, Photo - Accepted! Full Tuition, w/ Funding Stipend and Insurance covered, the first year's stipend being $28000 if I TA/teach a class over the summer for four weeks and apply for a summer grant to work on my thesis show. SAIC, FVNMA - Accepted, No Funding, will be releasing this spot so someone on the waitlist can get in CalArts - Accepted, (on my birthday too, that was a nice gift!) no funding however, but that is pretty typical from my experience of CalArts, and will be releasing my spot soon as well HDK-Valand - Still awaiting on a response, in addition I applied to the Axel Adler Scholarship which would provide Full Tuition Coverage SAIC, Photo - No response yet (assuming that this is just a rejection?) Oxford - Rejection (this one was interesting because I was waitlisted last year.) RISD - Rejection (also waitlisted last year) Yale - Rejection The Royal Academy - Rejection UCLA, Photo - Rejection UCLA, New Genres - Rejection So far, it seems like Tulane will be my pick. The faculty, facilities, and the fact that I get to start teaching, which is my dream to do, is exactly what I want and I love everything about it. However as a trans woman, it's a bit stressful being in such a red state, especially with what has happened recently in Kansas to strip ID from trans folk. I plan on visiting New Orleans soon to get a vibe on the place and see the queer and trans community there so I can chill out a bit. Especially because I have been told over and over by folks that it's a great place to be queer in. However if I am able to receive the Adler scholarship, that will really throw things up in the air because Sweden, well it's Sweden. I also am participating in my first art fair there, I have connections to galleries, curator, and several residencies there as well. I’ve heard a conspiracy theory—don’t take it too seriously—that RCA selectively admits students from certain countries or regions, even if their backgrounds aren’t as “impressive” as other applicants’. It’s because they’re rich. Unfortunately, I happen to be from one of those regions, so I didn’t apply to RCA. Anyway, congratulations on the results!
noplace Posted March 22 Posted March 22 On 3/20/2026 at 5:02 PM, orangeorangecake said: Is anyone else like me—hasn’t received anything at all from Columbia? No rejection, no interview invitations, no acceptance. It seems like they’ve forgotten about me. I interviewed at columbia this year, and have heard nothing. I assume rejection at this point. 3 years ago i held out hope with no interview at Columbia until i finally did get the rejection. If you did not interview you are not still in consideration, but kind messed up they dont send rejections for ppl they dont invite to interview
waiting2026 Posted March 22 Posted March 22 (edited) ughh columbia taking forever to send results is getting me on nerves lol (my interview was feb 19) Like i asked them last week when the results are coming and they replied it would be this week. I know it’s likely to be a rejection but I just want to know if i’m maybe on the waitlist.😣 Edited March 22 by waiting2026 courierstrocked 1
valvalval Posted March 22 Posted March 22 22 hours ago, Foehn said: For the next round, I would apply to at least 5-6 schools just to broaden your horizons. Three is a relatively small pool, particularly as an international student. Unfortunately, with the way things are currently going in the U.S. it may be a bit more challenging for international students to find the right fit. I really want to impress upon anyone who will be reapplying next cycle that these highly competitive programs are often actually quite holistic in their evaluations of our applications. Because they get so many applications from talented artists, the deciding factor for acceptance is often related to factors outside of the portfolio and CV. Sometimes those factors are out of your control and just come down to timing. I was rejected from my top choice last year without an interview, but this year I was interviewed, accepted, and offered a competitive fellowship. Yes, I added new work to my portfolio and improved my writing, but there were also things happening behind the scenes at the university that greatly improved my chances for this round. That's why it's important to give yourself a lot of choices, because you never know how the stars are aligning and you only have so much control over the process. Apply to more schools, make some new work, do deep research into the programs and find a genuine connection to the faculty you would want to work with, reflect that connection in your writing. Best of luck! Foehn, thank you so much for the suggestions! I find them very helpful. And congratulations on your acceptance to your top choice!!
valvalval Posted March 22 Posted March 22 On 3/21/2026 at 12:48 AM, tooold4artschool said: Like others have said, the first application year can be rough. Just knowing the process and expectations helps in later applications. You said you applied to SVA, but then decided it wasn't right for you, so you are already figuring out what you want and where you might fit better. Once you identify the programs that might be a good fit for you, you can curate your portfolio better, maybe make some new work, and hone your artist statement into something that aligns your work with that school's vibe. I did the same as you, got into a couple of great schools the first time, but decided they weren't the best fit for me once I had all the facts. I spent the year focused on my practice and applications. I applied again this year and was accepted to my top 3 schools. The extra year provided more information about where to apply, and a better application. Thanks for the suggestions! I’m def making more new work this year. Congratulations on your results this time!! tooold4artschool 1
Björk Posted March 23 Posted March 23 On 3/21/2026 at 6:23 PM, gdhopeful said: Update: I finally heard back from all of my applications. Sharing my results and timeline here for any future graphic design applicants! Good luck from me to you in the future RISD (3-year) - Interviewed 2/9, Accepted 2/19 CalArts (3-year) - Interviewed 1/27, Accepted 2/24 Yale (3-year) - Interviewed 2/23, Waitlisted 3/3 MICA - Interviewed 2/12, Accepted 3/10 BU - Interviewed 2/11, Accepted 2/23 OTIS - Interviewed 3/6, Accepted 3/12 ArtCenter (3-year) - Accepted 3/17 with no interview What a lineup. Huge congrats! gdhopeful 1
heheeee Posted March 23 Posted March 23 Hi, This is my first time applying to mfa and I interviewed at UCLA in early February and haven't received any updates yet.. Should I take this as a rejection? 🥲
dada123 Posted March 23 Posted March 23 Has anyone here managed to fully fund an MFA at Columbia? Especially without financial support from family? I’d really love to understand how people make it happen.
bellejar Posted March 23 Posted March 23 NYU MFA STUDIO ART- Waitlist PRATT FINE ART MFA- Haven’t heard :,( PARSONS - Haven’t heard :,( Someone plz give me some insight 🥸
Autumn2026 Posted March 23 Posted March 23 Hi! Has anyone heard from CU Boulder or Colorado State University?? Thank you!
orangeorangecake Posted March 23 Posted March 23 1 hour ago, bellejar said: NYU MFA STUDIO ART- Waitlist PRATT FINE ART MFA- Haven’t heard :,( PARSONS - Haven’t heard :,( Someone plz give me some insight 🥸 when did you heard from NYU? i have nothing from them after interview.
bellejar Posted March 23 Posted March 23 56 minutes ago, orangeorangecake said: when did you heard from NYU? i have nothing from them after interview. I got an email about securing my spot on the waitlist on Saturday and I got my official waitlist letter through the portal today. orangeorangecake 1
marxista Posted March 24 Posted March 24 7 hours ago, heheeee said: Hi, This is my first time applying to mfa and I interviewed at UCLA in early February and haven't received any updates yet.. Should I take this as a rejection? 🥲 yea… sorry though
courierstrocked Posted March 24 Posted March 24 Anyone still hasn't heard from Columbia after the interview? waiting2026 1
SocialKonstruct Posted March 24 Posted March 24 On 3/21/2026 at 3:11 PM, Foehn said: For the next round, I would apply to at least 5-6 schools just to broaden your horizons. Three is a relatively small pool, particularly as an international student. Unfortunately, with the way things are currently going in the U.S. it may be a bit more challenging for international students to find the right fit. I really want to impress upon anyone who will be reapplying next cycle that these highly competitive programs are often actually quite holistic in their evaluations of our applications. Because they get so many applications from talented artists, the deciding factor for acceptance is often related to factors outside of the portfolio and CV. Sometimes those factors are out of your control and just come down to timing. I was rejected from my top choice last year without an interview, but this year I was interviewed, accepted, and offered a competitive fellowship. Yes, I added new work to my portfolio and improved my writing, but there were also things happening behind the scenes at the university that greatly improved my chances for this round. That's why it's important to give yourself a lot of choices, because you never know how the stars are aligning and you only have so much control over the process. Apply to more schools, make some new work, do deep research into the programs and find a genuine connection to the faculty you would want to work with, reflect that connection in your writing. Best of luck! I would disrecommend any international student from coming to the US at all and point them to the UK or Europe while ICE officials are taking over airports and the rest of our nation under hostage and kidnapping random folks willy-nilly. There are fine art programs in the UK and in fact, as an American citizen I definitely would be looking at those as a better option in the meantime until our dumpster fire is over. Headlessowl 1
noplace Posted March 24 Posted March 24 6 hours ago, courierstrocked said: Anyone still hasn't heard from Columbia after the interview? I have yet to hear after my vis art painting interview, on feb 27. I assume rejection, i tell myself it is absolutely a rejection, but its hard to move on until you actually get the rejection. or accaptance lol
Q-Q8 Posted March 24 Posted March 24 On 3/20/2026 at 12:24 AM, Tippytiger said: Hi I was accepted to Tyler painting a few weeks ago. I just got my formal financial offer this week. They were one of my first interviews in February. Hoping to get off of my #1s waitlist. Seems like Tyler has more money and spots to give out based on who accept Hi , did you see it in the Financial Aid Offer section of the portal?
Tippytiger Posted March 24 Posted March 24 12 minutes ago, Q-Q8 said: Hi , did you see it in the Financial Aid Offer section of the portal? I got an informal offer from the dept. head over email. Followed up with a zoom meeting last week. Got the formal offer in an email after the meeting and then randomly another one via email from someone different today. Haven’t looked at the portal
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now