Nnenna14 Posted March 6 Posted March 6 Seems Brown poetry waitlists have gone out, which makes me believe poetry acceptances are out too, even though there’s none on the sheet. It’s all crickets for fiction. Anybody heard anything? runlolarun and rumi77 2
bioluminescent sloth Posted March 6 Posted March 6 Hi! In what cases is it appropriate to send a letter of continued interest to a program you've been waitlisted at? I was waitlisted at my top program a few weeks ago and replied to the email thanking them and saying it's my top choice. I never got a response (which makes sense because I didn't ask any questions), but I really hope they saw it and are keeping me in mind. Would it make sense for me to follow up and say it's still my top program and if accepted, I would immediately say yes? Or would that be seen as pestering them? Thank you! meanwhile 1
OctopusCactus Posted March 6 Posted March 6 9 hours ago, slothgirl said: got it that makes sense!! For more context and probably TMI my dad passed away and I found out he left me an education fund I could utilize. I have to be in NYC and want to get my MFA but am getting a little bogged down with all the "Don't pay for an MFA" sentiments The "Don't pay for an MFA advice" is because very few people see real financial ROI from their MFA. Most people who want an MFA cannot self-fund so there's some bitterness in how programs that don't offer full funding get talked about, especially on Draft, which doesn't actually reflect the quality of the programs themselves. If you have the means to pay, there are a number of great NYC area programs that don't have great funding that become options for you. My program has a mix of full and partially funded students along with unfunded ones and I don't feel like it creates weird dynamics within the cohorts. People generally do not have details on who has what level of funding, or where their funding comes from if they do have it (some people have funding from their home country's government, external scholarships, and so on). Good luck with your apps if you do go forward. SocialKonstruct and dyedviolet 1 1
KYoon Posted March 6 Posted March 6 Ohhh. I'm waiting for a program that had acceptances hit the draft just yesterday, and I just saw somewhere else that someone apparently got waitlisted. I was going to wait a few more days but I think this means everything probably went out, so I most likely got rejected. Busybeez 1
rumi77 Posted March 6 Posted March 6 anyone hear anything from Brown for fiction??? poetry waitlists have hit the draft but nothing on fiction yet Nnenna14 and bucket 1 1
SocialKonstruct Posted March 6 Posted March 6 On 9/27/2025 at 7:28 AM, jinny-r said: to US-based applicants, may i know how the state is in the US right now? one of my recommenders, although willing to give her letter, is advising me not to proceed because of the political situation. i am a southeast asian bisexual woman and i tackle US imperialism and colonialism explicitly in my writing. thank you! Political situation is much worse in the US than it was six months ago. Ever hopeful and bioluminescent sloth 2
precociousreader Posted March 6 Posted March 6 11 hours ago, bioluminescent sloth said: Hi! In what cases is it appropriate to send a letter of continued interest to a program you've been waitlisted at? I was waitlisted at my top program a few weeks ago and replied to the email thanking them and saying it's my top choice. I never got a response (which makes sense because I didn't ask any questions), but I really hope they saw it and are keeping me in mind. Would it make sense for me to follow up and say it's still my top program and if accepted, I would immediately say yes? Or would that be seen as pestering them? Thank you! if you have new information to provide, like an offer from another institution, that would impact your timeline, then yeah i'd reach out again! or if you have any questions,like asking if the waitlist is ranked and if so where you're at. but if not, i think maybe you can just hang out, as you've expressed your interest and they've likely read it. bioluminescent sloth 1
madsmadsmads Posted March 6 Posted March 6 Anyone know roughly when UHouston usually goes out for poetry? Also Iowa waitlists?
madsmadsmads Posted March 6 Posted March 6 (edited) 12 hours ago, bioluminescent sloth said: Hi! In what cases is it appropriate to send a letter of continued interest to a program you've been waitlisted at? I was waitlisted at my top program a few weeks ago and replied to the email thanking them and saying it's my top choice. I never got a response (which makes sense because I didn't ask any questions), but I really hope they saw it and are keeping me in mind. Would it make sense for me to follow up and say it's still my top program and if accepted, I would immediately say yes? Or would that be seen as pestering them? Thank you! I reached out to both programs I am waitlisted at and received very kind, encouraging responses. At one place I had the opportunity to set up a zoom call with the faculty member that I had been corresponding with (at their offer). Really, really nice and got to ask all of my questions and express my interest. They told me to keep reaching out as it gets closer to April 15th to reaffirm interest and to check in as to how things are looking. So I think in general, as long as you aren't totally pestering them, it is definitely good, and even encouraged to reach out! Edited March 6 by madsmadsmads bioluminescent sloth 1
gafoo Posted March 6 Posted March 6 So incredibly strange that I know at least 2 people who got accepted to Montana CNF last week and got a call from the program director... but someone else just posted a CNF acceptance via an automated university email (which neither I nor the other acceptees I've spoken with have gotten yet??).
impatientjoy Posted March 6 Posted March 6 (edited) 27 minutes ago, gafoo said: So incredibly strange that I know at least 2 people who got accepted to Montana CNF last week and got a call from the program director... but someone else just posted a CNF acceptance via an automated university email (which neither I nor the other acceptees I've spoken with have gotten yet??). Could it have something to do w funding? Edited March 6 by impatientjoy
gafoo Posted March 6 Posted March 6 13 minutes ago, impatientjoy said: Could it have something to do w funding? I was wondering the same thing... it's strange bc the director said on the phone that he couldn't guarantee I'd be getting a funded slot and they'd be "finalizing the list soon." Anyhow, it's probably impossible to infer what happens inside the black box of admissions committees. But that doesn't stop my mind from trying!! impatientjoy 1
roomservice Posted March 6 Posted March 6 (edited) For those reapplying (poetry applicants mostly, but also fiction), what is the consensus on samples? I'm sure I'll have new material by then, but creating a completely new 15-page portfolio of content schools have never seen seems unrealistic and ill-advised. I guess my question is what are thoughts on using some of the same material but with new material, and or bolstering it up? Michener specifically stating that they want your strongest work, and not necessarily just your newest. Hard distinction to navigate on my own. Edited March 6 by roomservice meanwhile 1
Ever hopeful Posted March 6 Posted March 6 (edited) Anyone hear anything from Boston University? I only see a few rejections for poetry on the draft sheet. Edited March 6 by Ever hopeful violette_us 1
greenleaf Posted March 6 Posted March 6 2 hours ago, impatientjoy said: Has anyone heard from Alaska or CU Boulder yet? am also waiting on CU. i think it might be next week for them
actualair Posted March 6 Posted March 6 For poetry - if you haven’t heard anything from Iowa, brown, or NYU, it’s likely a rejection…right?
springsaquamarine Posted March 6 Posted March 6 1 hour ago, roomservice said: For those reapplying (poetry applicants mostly, but also fiction), what is the consensus on samples? I'm sure I'll have new material by then, but creating a completely new 15-page portfolio of content schools have never seen seems unrealistic and ill-advised. I guess my question is what are thoughts on using some of the same material but with new material, and or bolstering it up? Michener specifically stating that they want your strongest work, and not necessarily just your newest. Hard distinction to navigate on my own. disclaimer: i don't have answers about what is or isn't best practice! this is just my plan as it is looking like this year (my first year applying) is not my time. one of my top priorities for the next six months (other than finding a job... yay) is expanding my writing community. it's one of the things i was most hoping to get out of being in an mfa program. i was pleasantly surprised at how generative the last few months have been for me despite the horrors of waiting. so, game plan is 1. keep reading and keep writing 2. try my hand at applying for workshops and taking as many classes as i can afford and 3. really really prioritize making trusted relationships with writers i admire so i can have more eyes on my work AND read the writing of others because when i read the most is always when i am inspired to write the most. not a revolutionary plan but hopefully it'll still help a little to know what others who are planning on embarking on year two of apps are thinking/doing. tldr: i'm hoping i have a lot of new writing to present and to really refine and revise what already exists. gupppy and roomservice 2
greenleaf Posted March 6 Posted March 6 brown rejection came in right at the final note of my mahler 2 listen-thru. gotta admire the universal timing meanwhile and springsaquamarine 2
opus52 Posted March 6 Posted March 6 (edited) 28 minutes ago, greenleaf said: brown rejection came in right at the final note of my mahler 2 listen-thru. gotta admire the universal timing time to submerge yourself in Mahler 9! Edited March 6 by opus52 typo greenleaf 1
rumi77 Posted March 6 Posted March 6 48 minutes ago, callmemarioplz said: brown rejection just came in. last name M which concentration?
matchasimsbury Posted March 6 Posted March 6 (edited) someone who studied poetry at nyu and that i mentioned in my essay randomly followed me on instagram...trying so hard not to be delusional 🤩 Edited March 6 by matchasimsbury rumi77, dyedviolet, barbou and 1 other 4
callmemarioplz Posted March 6 Posted March 6 20 minutes ago, rumi77 said: which concentration? poetry
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now