Possible to negotiate financial package?

rmaltiel

I'm applying to Statistic PhDs for Fall 2011. I've been admitted to my top choice school and a safety school and still have 7 programs to hear from. While I am thrilled to be in at my top choice schools, I do wish the financial package was a little higher (TA position at ~$15,800 for the 9 month school year). At my safety school, I've received a $21,000 fellowship for the first year (so no need to work) and at least $16,300 TA and RA positions in the following years. I also haven't yet heard from my remaining schools, but some Googling has indicated higher financial packages at those schools (assuming I get into at least some of them). Has anyone ever negotiated their financial package? If so, how successful were you? Any tips or pointers?

One thing to take into consideration is the cost of living in each of those areas. For example, $16K in Ann Arbor will take you a lot further than $19K will in Chicago... Find a cost-of-living calculator and actually compare the stipends that way BEFORE you even try to negotiate.

The most negotiable thing I could see offhand is an extension from a 9-month support to 12 month support.

Other than that, what rising-star says is quite valid- compare the stipend relative to the cost of living.

You can negotiate, just be careful doing so. I've heard of people getting better offers, I've heard of people losing their offers- it depends on the school and how badly they want you.

I've known a few people who've negotiated an extra year or two or onto a fellowship from a TA. Just be honest and tell them your reservations and why you are considering another school.

There's no harm in trying. If you're a strong applicant, chances are they'll take you seriously. When I did my MA, the deadline was approaching for my top choice when I was still waiting on a funding package from another school. They were understanding and offered both more time and a more attractive financial package. In fact, in their admission letter they encourage students to get in touch if they receive better offers elsewhere.

It won't necessarily work, but the worst you'll probably hear is 'no'.

For strapped schools, most likely not going to work as they're on very tight budgets. Do consider the COL before you move forward. $16K is quite comfortable for Ann Arbor whereas one might suffer a bit on $23K in NYC.

DEFINITELY compare the cost of living with a cost of living calculator (google em) before you approach anyone about negotiating an offer.

the worst you'll hear is not "no." the worst is that they'll rescind your offer. you can negotiate, but do so with caution and armed with more facts. you're comparing a top program to a "safety." odds are your top program will ask what school made the offer, they'll see it's a "safety," and they'll risk you choosing a lower-ranked or worse-fit program over their own for the sake of $5000. if you have more funded offers from other "top" schools and even when considering cost-of-living this program would still be paying you way less, then you can try to negotiate.

1) check cost of living.

2) wait for funded offers from other comparable programs before you go angling for more money.

3) realize that "the worst" that can happen is way more than them saying "no."

Thank you for all the advice. I have looked at cost of living comparisons and this is not a cheap city to live. I would definitely plan to wait until I received an offer from another comparable schools. But I am surprised to hear so many people say that asking about funding can lead to a revoked offer. For anyone knows a case where this happened, can you provide some more insight on the situation? I can't imagine an offer being revoked if a funding question arises in an appropriate manner.

I'm not planning on "negotiating" at all, but how on earth can they rescind offer when they can just say no to more money? Once they made an offer, they can't rescind it without particularly valid and exceptional reasons (i.e. plagiarism, falsified application).

From what I understand, that's not true at all. Just like a company can rescind a job offer at any time before a contract is signed, a school can rescind either the offer of admission, or simply the funding at any time before you accept and sign a contract with them.

An offer is just that, an offer. Unless you sign a contract with the school/employer holding them to their offer for a certain period of time, they can change or rescind that offer for whatever reason they want.

Once you accept, they can't rescind the offer... But until you accept, they are under no contractual obligation. It might hurt their PR a bit if they rescind offers too often, but I don't believe there is any legal barrier to them doing so.

Edited by Eigen

There should absolutely be no harm in negotiating so long as you're tactful. Don't overthink it. This should be a very straightforward conversation. You want to study at such & such school. Such & such school wants you. But you need some security in being able to make ends meet so you can keep the focus on your education. That's about all there is to it. If a school rescinds an offer because you've broached that subject, I'm fairly confident that's not the school for you and you're better off having found that out at the outset.

I've never heard of a school rescinding a financial offer because of negotiation either. The only reasons I've heard are if your grades fall off in your last semester, you lied on your application, or you missed the response deadline (which is more common here in Canada because we don't have that April 15th standard). Perhaps it's happened, but I second the post above. Just be tactful.

Just passing on what I got told by my advisors when I applied.

Do it, just be careful, and realize that if you come off wrong they can rescind the offer.... It's just like job negotiations. You have the possibility for getting a better offer, but if you overshoot it, you may lose the offer altogether.

There should absolutely be no harm in negotiating so long as you're tactful. Don't overthink it. This should be a very straightforward conversation. You want to study at such & such school. Such & such school wants you. But you need some security in being able to make ends meet so you can keep the focus on your education. That's about all there is to it. If a school rescinds an offer because you've broached that subject, I'm fairly confident that's not the school for you and you're better off having found that out at the outset.

this :).

The only time I've actually heard of an offer being rescinded it was because the admit came on to a female grad student in the program during visiting weekend, and then proceeded to gay-bash another male admit. So, short of insane displays of raging masculinity or comparable infractions, you are pretty much safe doing whatever you want at this pt. Haggling is an accepted part of the process.

I also know of an offer being rescinded because of behavior at the visit weekend--one of the students complained about not being sure they wanted to go to grad school at all, and was talking about changing their project, and they were told that "perhaps it's a better idea for you to accept one of your other offers."

• 3 years later...

I'm late to this conversation, but my question is whether or not a school will negotiate funding without broaching the topic of competing offers? Is it adequate to have reservations about x, y, z funding and let the school know your concerns? Or do you think the only way to get more money would be to float around your other offers and make them compete for you? Has anyone had luck getting a better funding package without having to create a bidding war?

I think a lot of it depends on the program. I'm currently in a position to negotiate offers with one of my programs, but it's because of the context: the department decided to nominate me for a campus fellowship, which means that they now have a vested interest in my attendance, and after the nomination, they specifically asked me to let them know if I have offers from other schools, and how they compare.

Should you even bring up finances if the dept doesn't say something like "let us know if you have other offers?"

My offer included tuition waiver and a TAship for half of the second year of a masters program. This is for the arts so I'm wondering if they are just less able to fund students than PhD programs or other depts. The letter even says "even in these difficult economic times we are able to offer you..." So I wonder if it's a sign that negotiation would not be welcome.

I don't want to get off on the wrong foot with them if I do decide to go...

Try to think about it in a cost-benefit way.  Schools typically have an established number or range that applies to all graduate students - so "officially" there is often only so much flexibility they can have.  One example is found here: https://gsc.mit.edu/programs-initiatives/col/. 

Depending on your specific school and department, you will typically have flexibility to "officially" do work outside of your TA/RA.  In this case, you will have to be up front with your advisor about what outside activities you're doing (and you may even need to fill out paperwork with the school depending on what the activity is), but the bottom line is that in terms of the officail money that the school can pay you in the form of a stipend, they can have some flexibility but there is usually a firm cap.  There may be other ways to stack other money on top of your stipend through the school, but again most schools have limits on what that can be.  Your best bet, if you truly are unable to 'make ends meet', may be to do some side consulting or teaching/tutoring.  You'll have to weigh the time and effort you put into that outside activity with the opportunity cost associated with taking your mind and time away from doing additional research towards your masters/PhD.  In that case, you may feel like a loan would give you the needed financial support while not providing you the mental taxation associated with hustling outside of the school to get more money.

I too have never heard of anyone rescinding offers. I negotiated for funding for my master's and just did the same for my phd. Both times funding was increased exponentially. I speculate that they offer similar funding to everyone and have a floating buffer they kick in if asked by a student they want. If you make it clear that funding is the only thing holding you back, and you've been accepted in their first round offers, I think it would be a mistake not to ask...

I too have never heard of anyone rescinding offers. I negotiated for funding for my master's and just did the same for my phd. Both times funding was increased exponentially. I speculate that they offer similar funding to everyone and have a floating buffer they kick in if asked by a student they want. If you make it clear that funding is the only thing holding you back, and you've been accepted in their first round offers, I think it would be a mistake not to ask...

Here's my question though, when you asked for both your Master's and PhD did you use other offers as leverage or did you just ask straight out?

Yes, I used my other offers as leverage but only in a very tactical way:

1) highlight the difficulty of the decision in terms of reconciling funding with school rep/faculty expertise

2) state specifically that after pursuing more research about the institution, and being in touch with faculty personally (if applicable), you are seriously considering the offer

3) explain that you have been offered large scholarships from other institutions which are enticing because you are no longer in the running for external scholarships this year (if applicable)

4) Ask if there are any other scholarships or funding options for PhD students in the coming academic year. This way you are indirectly asking for funding based on what seems like merit, not just asking them to throw more money at you.

It doesn't matter if the funding package is already great. I negotiated on a one-year MA package (for a one year degree) of 20,000, and came out with 27,000 (+ tuition).

For PhD, I negotiated on a base of 22,000 (+ tuition) per year for six years and came out with a guarantee of 32,000 for the first year with possibility of renewal and other scholarships in subsequent years.

Whether or not you are already getting solid funding, there is usually more money to be had. The other thing to consider is the benefits included though: does the school offer things like maternity leave (if you're female) or paramedical benefits? My funding package with my PhD school is also worth another $5000, which is something for you to factor in.