Getting off the Waitlist

jmacnomad

I am waitlisted in one program. I was notified yesterday that the admission had not yet completed and was asked my current status by the professor. She also said that the final decision will be made by 14th. For those lucky guys who have got off the waiting list, how should I interpret this email? Should I still expect the possibility of getting a rejection letter in the end?

Sounds promising if they're contacting you to see if you're still interested.  There's no guarantee you'll get accepted, but I'd say hearing from them is better than not hearing anything at all.

I was notified a week ago from a professor in the program I applied to (who I had been in contact with, but was not on the admissions committee this year) that she had spoken to the head of the admissions committee and that she "thinks I'm at the top of the waitlist" and that I "will likely receive an offer before the 15th", but then she explicitly said she doesn't know more than that, and can offer no certainty.

I haven't heard anything since then. I tried not to, but I've been really been over-analyzing this message. It would be really helpful to get an objective take on that. Is she saying that I am going to be admitted, and if that's the case, why are they waiting so long to let me know?

Last year the program admitted one student (!) and I was rejected outright, I'm wondering if maybe it has to do with funding? This is the only program I applied to so I can technically wait as long as possible, but of course it's pretty miserable to do that.

I was told last week that I "certainly still have a shot" and would be receiving an email by the end of the week (i.e. last week). I haven't heard anything - can I email back to check in or is that pestering?

Good luck to everyone still waiting.

I was told last week that I "certainly still have a shot" and would be receiving an email by the end of the week (i.e. last week). I haven't heard anything - can I email back to check in or is that pestering?

Good luck to everyone still waiting.

Just hang in there.  The AdComs are SWAMPED right now.  They won't forget you.  I know it's tough, but bear with it.  I was told by multiple schools I'd have answers on certain dates, and they always came days/weeks later.

I was notified a week ago from a professor in the program I applied to (who I had been in contact with, but was not on the admissions committee this year) that she had spoken to the head of the admissions committee and that she "thinks I'm at the top of the waitlist" and that I "will likely receive an offer before the 15th", but then she explicitly said she doesn't know more than that, and can offer no certainty.

I haven't heard anything since then. I tried not to, but I've been really been over-analyzing this message. It would be really helpful to get an objective take on that. Is she saying that I am going to be admitted, and if that's the case, why are they waiting so long to let me know?

Last year the program admitted one student (!) and I was rejected outright, I'm wondering if maybe it has to do with funding? This is the only program I applied to so I can technically wait as long as possible, but of course it's pretty miserable to do that.

I do not think she is implying any certainty to the message.  I think the professor is being politely optimistic for you, not to be confused with false hope.  If you are to be admitted, you haven't been notified because your spot is dependent on the declination of other offers.  If no one declines their offer, you won't get that spot.  You may also be elsewhere on the "list", despite your professor's speculations.  I apologize if this comes over harsh.  I do think we need to be realistic at this point even though we're all pulling our hair out.  Also, consider the fact that some of the top applicants may be holding out/still deliberating and won't respond/reject their excess offers til the very last minute (meaning an even-more-very-last-minute acceptance for you.)  Stay strong! :)

Sounds promising if they're contacting you to see if you're still interested.  There's no guarantee you'll get accepted, but I'd say hearing from them is better than not hearing anything at all.

Thanks! I got the offer this morning! So excited! The perfect ending for this year's applicaiton for me.

I do not think she is implying any certainty to the message.  I think the professor is being politely optimistic for you, not to be confused with false hope.  If you are to be admitted, you haven't been notified because your spot is dependent on the declination of other offers.  If no one declines their offer, you won't get that spot.  You may also be elsewhere on the "list", despite your professor's speculations.  I apologize if this comes over harsh.  I do think we need to be realistic at this point even though we're all pulling our hair out.  Also, consider the fact that some of the top applicants may be holding out/still deliberating and won't respond/reject their excess offers til the very last minute (meaning an even-more-very-last-minute acceptance for you.)  Stay strong! :)

I agree with most of that, although I don't think she was saying that to be overly optimistic, she holds a lot of weight in the program (she started it) so I'm assuming after talking to the person she given some kind of information that created that impression. It wouldn't make sense for her to come out with that kind of information for no reason, especially since I hadn't asked for it. With that said, once again, I don't think it is sure thing by any means, and you're right, she could be completely wrong. I just don't think that the list quite works that way in this situation is all, the program has less than 20 students across 6 years, which is what made me think it might have to do with funding since they don't admit students who are not fully funded. 

I agree that it's important to remain realistic, and it is good to be brought down to earth in case it doesn't work out.

Edited by nlhmr

If I am still on a waitlist at this point, does it mean they are just saving up for mass rejections post April 15th?

Although I have kept in friendly, brief contact with the admissions coordinator (to notify my continued interest and updates on further achievements), I have never received a message that went beyond "thank you, this will be added to your application".  My POI never contacted me after I was notified of my waitlist status. I was never asked if I was still interested, or given a ranking on the list and I am pretty sure I would have heard nothing if I hadn't kept up the contact myself.

I honestly never had the feeling that I was a high priority candidate (as far as waitlists go). 

I have heard of people holding out decisions until the 15th, or simply letting the deadline pass without bothering to decline.  But how realistic is it to hope that this might be the case?

If I am still on a waitlist at this point, does it mean they are just saving up for mass rejections post April 15th?

Although I have kept in friendly, brief contact with the admissions coordinator (to notify my continued interest and updates on further achievements), I have never received a message that went beyond "thank you, this will be added to your application".  My POI never contacted me after I was notified of my waitlist status. I was never asked if I was still interested, or given a ranking on the list and I am pretty sure I would have heard nothing if I hadn't kept up the contact myself.

I honestly never had the feeling that I was a high priority candidate (as far as waitlists go). 

I have heard of people holding out decisions until the 15th, or simply letting the deadline pass without bothering to decline.  But how realistic is it to hope that this might be the case?

I've heard of people on this board getting off the waitlist after the 15th. One of the schools that I applied to said specifically that I might not hear back until a few days after the 15th. Not all schools rank the waitlist or will tell you your rank. One of the schools told me that they couldn't tell me my place on the list. Another school told me that they don't rank the waitlist, meaning that theoretically everyone has the same shot of getting accepted. I guess all that you can really do is wait and see what happens. Remember, some people that got accepted might also be holding out for other offers so that's why they'll wait until the last minute.

Thanks guys.

I have just noticed these spurts of updates of people being posted by people who are getting accepted off waitlists.  Each time I see one, I think..... that could have been me.  It is similar to reading about someone winning the lottery, only watching it happening all around you.  I just wonder - what is it like to be one of those people?  To see one of those emails in my inbox?  Any second now, one could appear.... nope it happened to someone else..... maybe in a hour...

And so on.

Of course at this point in time I am completely demoralized.  Ultimately all these acceptances seem to be happening out there in some kind of alternate reality.  It doesn't seem real to me. Just a haze.

I'm mostly just sad.

Thanks guys.

I have just noticed these spurts of updates of people being posted by people who are getting accepted off waitlists.  Each time I see one, I think..... that could have been me.  It is similar to reading about someone winning the lottery, only watching it happening all around you.  I just wonder - what is it like to be one of those people?  To see one of those emails in my inbox?  Any second now, one could appear.... nope it happened to someone else..... maybe in a hour...

And so on.

Of course at this point in time I am completely demoralized.  Ultimately all these acceptances seem to be happening out there in some kind of alternate reality.  It doesn't seem real to me. Just a haze.

I'm mostly just sad.

I am in the same boat as you!! I didn't get accepted anywhere and got waitlisted for my dream school and waiting to hear back from my other school. I'm trying to be positive. I hear positive stories. Just keep positive and good luck!

Thanks guys.

And so on.

I'm mostly just sad.

I understand.  This is my second year applying.  After being rejected from 9 schools last year and this year applying to 11 and being waitlisted at three and still waiting to hear from one, you have to realize that we will be where we are meant to be.  What's funny is that three of my doctors were waitlisted for med school and now they are ranked among the top doctors and surgeons in the country.  Stay positive! We'll all be ok!! Best of luck to everyone!

Typically, how much time to you get to make a decision? If you get accepted off the waitlist, I mean.

They'll tell you how much time they want to give you, but typically they want you to decide quickly because there are others waiting, too.

April 15th and still no decision!

Thank you guys for the moral support.  It is really helpful to here that others are going through the same thing and that there are so many highly qualified people out there who were forced to struggle and feel the same as we do now.  It gives me hope and inspires me not to give up. "We will be where we were meant to be" - well, for me that will hopefully not continue being a gas station!

Well, it's not business hours in any US schools yet...  Also, we'd have to wait for people to decline and theoretically they have all day. Or I suppose, until business hours end at that school.

Yes true.  I keep forgetting the time zone difference.  Some people will probably wait until the very end and perhaps there are even those who don't inform schools at all.

Does anyone know if that is a common problem?  That people do not bother to decline offers and just let them expire?

Yes true.  I keep forgetting the time zone difference.  Some people will probably wait until the very end and perhaps there are even those who don't inform schools at all.

Does anyone know if that is a common problem?  That people do not bother to decline offers and just let them expire?

It's extraordinarily common.  Also, keep in mind that acceptances can/will be issued after April 15th at the discretion of schools that have gaps to fill after offers expire today.

I buckled and decided to call the last school I'm waiting on (and the only one to not reject me yet). I called my POI and was told they had to wait until after 5 pm (eastern time) to send decisions out to the waitlisted candidates, as they were waiting on some responses. She was vague about whose responses they waiting on, but did answer affirmatively when I asked if I'd be getting an email today. It is now 8:37 pm eastern time and no email yet. :-/ I expect that they had to wait until the end of the day to hear from their currently admitted candidates, and so maybe they'll just send the emails out tomorrow since most offices close at 5 pm? 

I keep going back and forth with thinking that this is a GOOD sign ("if they're waiting on a couple of other accepted candidates to respond before emailing me, that must mean I'm at the top of the waitlist/their next alternative, b/c otherwise why would they wait to write me?) but then I just keep telling myself to calm down and not get my hopes up, b/c this could mean a million things, possibly negative. 

C'mon. It's April 15th! I followed all of your application deadlines, you should follow yours. Get it together, grad schools.  :angry:

Edited by dolcevita