Getting off the Waitlist

jmacnomad

8 hours ago, ClassApp said:

If it concerns you to withdraw from the wait list, it might help to email/call the department and get an idea of how likely it is that you'll be taken off of it. If it's unlikely, that makes your decision easier. 

But if you feel confident that you've been accepted at your top choice with funding, etc--there's no reason to stay on the other wait list. Accept the offer to your dream school! :) 

Yeah I was thinking about emailing them soon, but they did update me a few weeks ago after I emailed them and nothing had changed.. And they said they'd let me know as soon as something changed. So would it still be alright to inquire? I guess I could wait until the 15th but it would feel  great to make my acceptance.. I almost want a rejection so I don't have to worry about reconsidering my top choice. :unsure:

On 4/2/2016 at 10:27 PM, Danger_Zone said:

Yeah I was thinking about emailing them soon, but they did update me a few weeks ago after I emailed them and nothing had changed.. And they said they'd let me know as soon as something changed. So would it still be alright to inquire? I guess I could wait until the 15th but it would feel  great to make my acceptance.. I almost want a rejection so I don't have to worry about reconsidering my top choice. :unsure:

Yeah, I think it's totally okay to inquire again! Especially if it was a few weeks ago--that's a decent chunk of time and April 15 is coming up fast. Not sure whether I should wish you good luck or not haha...

7 hours ago, ClassApp said:

Yeah, I think it's totally okay to inquire again! Especially if it was a few weeks ago--that's a decent chunk of time and April 15 is coming up fast. Not sure whether I should wish you good luck or not haha...

Haha, honestly I'd just like to hear anything at this point... It's a very long time to wait.. Especially with the deadline near..

6 hours ago, anthrostudentcyn said:

@Danger_Zone I have the same question, last time I inquired with my POI was march 4 and I don't want to be pushy and ask but it is getting close

Yeah I was last contacted on March 1 and ended up sending another email today. I think with the deadline only two weeks away it isn't pushy, and I think it may help show you are still interested in the program. 

On 2016年3月30日 at 9:28 AM, artsy16 said:

You can definitely follow up and ask about your status/restate interest! Restating interest won't help you get off the waitlist if they're still waiting for someone to make a decision on the offer, but it may possibly move you up the ranks among the waitlist pool if a spot opens up.  

Thank you @artsy16! I'll contact them! 

I am thinking about sending my wait listed school an email later in the week basically saying, I have an offer from somewhere else with a deadline approaching, but I'd rather attend your program and will come if i get in, so can you give me any information about my status/chances of admission?

Is this kind of card-laying too bold/forward? Or has anyone done this and had any success with it?

I sent a generic "restating interest" email/inquiry like 2-3 weeks ago but by the end of this week it will be kind of getting down to the wire.........

So I got a reply from the wait listed program telling me that there is no change in my application and it may be up until the deadline that I hear something... But that there is still a small chance of me being admitted. I don't want to take away options but if there is only a small chance of me being admitted and subsequently accepting the offer, maybe it is best to withdraw soon and give someone else a chance? It's so difficult to know what to do.. :mellow:

I have a similar quandary...I was wait-listed at my top program two weeks ago and told to hopefully expect them to contact me by April 1. I responded with a short affirmation that I was very interested at the first email, but would it be appropriate to email them again today and ask about my status/chances? Or should I just be patient? I've been admitted to another good program who would like me to commit ASAP...

I'm pretty nervous, I had a meeting with someone from the program last week and they said they literally didnt know a timeline. Should I inquire again? I feel like it's kind of annoying to not be kept up to date, especially because I'm admitted just waitlisted for funding. Also, in my situation, should I go to the accepted students dinner?

2 hours ago, Danger_Zone said:

So I got a reply from the wait listed program telling me that there is no change in my application and it may be up until the deadline that I hear something... But that there is still a small chance of me being admitted. I don't want to take away options but if there is only a small chance of me being admitted and subsequently accepting the offer, maybe it is best to withdraw soon and give someone else a chance? It's so difficult to know what to do.. :mellow:

If you're already accepted to your dream school, is there any realistically conceivable way you'll accept an offer from the other school if they are even able to admit you? If you can honestly answer yes, stay on the wait list. But if you know there isn't really a chance, just withdraw. It'll give you peace of mind :) 

51 minutes ago, ClassApp said:

If you're already accepted to your dream school, is there any realistically conceivable way you'll accept an offer from the other school if they are even able to admit you? If you can honestly answer yes, stay on the wait list. But if you know there isn't really a chance, just withdraw. It'll give you peace of mind :) 

Yeah I definitely think you're right. I don't like turning down a possibility, but I think I was holding out because I felt like the program was a good fit for me, but the more I look into it (and the more I learn about my top program) the more I feel like it isn't the best fit afterall. So maybe I just need to go on and make my acceptance and rejections soon so I can finally stop stressing about this and start focusing on what else I need to do before attending in the fall. :) 

I got waitlisted to my top choice.
I got a personal email from the head of the admissions committee on a Sunday evening, saying I was waitlisted and asked if I was still interested.
He said that my academic record was "very strong" and that I was "high on the list"
He mentioned that it is likely that they will admit another one or two students in the coming week.

I'm still pretty confident.

I sent the (admittedly very frank) email that I was debating sending, by the way.

I'll post an update if/when I get a response in case anyone was thinking of doing the same and wanted to suss it out.

On 4/4/2016 at 2:11 PM, athim2575 said:

I got waitlisted to my top choice.
I got a personal email from the head of the admissions committee on a Sunday evening, saying I was waitlisted and asked if I was still interested.
He said that my academic record was "very strong" and that I was "high on the list"
He mentioned that it is likely that they will admit another one or two students in the coming week.

I'm still pretty confident.

Good luck! :) That's the wording they gave me when I was wait-listed, and everything turned out okay. 

15 minutes ago, ETRXRock said:

Off of the waitlist and accepted into my dream program! Goodluck to all those still waiting. Do not give up faith or hope. If you have a passion for what you do, God will always place you on the right path!

Congratulations! We de-listed folk should start a club. :D 

10 hours ago, ETRXRock said:

Off of the waitlist and accepted into my dream program! Goodluck to all those still waiting. Do not give up faith or hope. If you have a passion for what you do, God will always place you on the right path!

Congrats!!!! :):D 

I hope to be one of those that managed to get off the waitlist in the following week :) Congrats to those who have already been admitted, and best wishes to us who are still waiting! This thread just lifts my spirits.

Is it worth it to email the program administrators and let them know I'm still interested? I'm waitlisted at my top choice and hadn't applied anywhere else, so it's not like I'm waiting to accept an offer at another program... just really want to get into this one. Any thoughts?

1 minute ago, braaains said:

Is it worth it to email the program administrators and let them know I'm still interested? I'm waitlisted at my top choice and hadn't applied anywhere else, so it's not like I'm waiting to accept an offer at another program... just really want to get into this one. Any thoughts?

I sent an email restating interest - and actually I sent a quite bold email saying that if I get in, I'll come and decline the other offer I have on the table.

I got an email back saying they still didn't have any information for me but they did give me a timeline of when i should expect to hear back, and it seems to have gotten some kind of ball rolling or something because this morning I got a call from one of my LoR writers saying to hold off accepting my other offer heavily implying something was in the works at Wait Listed Top Choice Program.....

Could be coincidence but at the very least it doesn't seem to have hurt!

So I would say send the email!

I emailed my program as well, and got a very kind and unexpectedly lengthy response saying basically that they didn't know yet. Really have my fingers crossed for this one...but man, we are getting down to the wire. I shall be hitherto glued to my phone and email (maybe more than usual these last few months, haha). 

This thread is great, though. It's so wonderful seeing when other people get off the 'List!! I shall remain hopeful...

17 hours ago, Neist said:

Good luck! :) That's the wording they gave me when I was wait-listed, and everything turned out okay. 

Congratulations! We de-listed folk should start a club. :D 

Thank you! I am beyond thrilled!