Getting off the Waitlist

jmacnomad

Zombie400, MidwesternAloha:  Thank you so much!  And thanks for putting up with my whining for these last few months!

Tomorrow, when I wake up, that sinking feeling will be gone.  I wish the same for everyone!  May all of you get that notification on your phone, glance down and see "Congratulations!" next to the name of your dream university.  May you all know what it is like to have your heart skip a beat as you hop the boundaries of purgatory, and one fraction of a second is all it takes to bring you there.  

Good luck to everyone on here still waiting!  And for those who didn't make it - I came close to being in the same boat.  I would have tried again!  So should you!

Edited by floatingmolecule

Is anyone here sitting tight on the wait list for the MPP at Harvard Kennedy School? HKS says that admitted applicants had until April 15 to make a decision and the adcomm would then meet again to make decisions, if any, on admitting wait listed candidates. Wondering if anyone has heard anything yet? 

Thank you Ellies and MidwesternAloha!

I hope your funding pulls through, Ellies!  It would be so great if everything could just work out for all of us!!

Ianpolicy:  I don't have specific insight into your program, but I am guessing that they are working through the waitlist - maybe one of these days you'll get an email asking you if you are still interested.  Waitlist acceptees seem to get a deadline for accepting too (for me it is May 1st)  - so they might be waiting on the first people they took off the list.  It is hard to say.

I was in your shoes just the other day and my mind was bursting with scenarios.

I really, really hope you end up hearing from them! Positively!!!

I never thought I would be the one writing this but.....

I GOT OFF THE WAITLIST!!!!

I am still in shock, all systems are currently down...

Congratulations! I have seen you a lot on this forum and it's great to know you've been accepted to a school! It's so much fun getting off the waitlist isn't it?

Told I was waitlisted at the end of January, and that applicants who were made offers had until April 15 to accept. I have not heard a peep from them since January, despite sending an email to my correspondent asking for any updates.

It's funny, because after applying in December I was told my application would be reviewed within 30 days. I remember when that 30 days was coming to a close how anxious I was, then only to find out I was waitlisted. Then I thought to myself "Now watch, it'll be mid april before I hear anything" and I felt like mid April would never come. Now it's almost May, and still nothing!

*furiously chews on pencil*

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello All! I wish I had been looking at this Gradcafe months ago. I am wait listed twice. Philadelphia and Norway for my Masters. I have been told that Norway could take me as late as end of July! Crazy. This may sound hard core but even at this late date I feel hope. I may not hear until late July... can you believe it? Norway is my top choice. I think Philadelphia is locked down and there is no chance left... but I still have hope for Norway. Let me know if anyone out there is in a similar situation. 

Edited by Msparks

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On April 21, 2015 at 2:38 PM, floatingmolecule said:

Zombie400, MidwesternAloha:  Thank you so much!  And thanks for putting up with my whining for these last few months!

Tomorrow, when I wake up, that sinking feeling will be gone.  I wish the same for everyone!  May all of you get that notification on your phone, glance down and see "Congratulations!" next to the name of your dream university.  May you all know what it is like to have your heart skip a beat as you hop the boundaries of purgatory, and one fraction of a second is all it takes to bring you there.  

Good luck to everyone on here still waiting!  And for those who didn't make it - I came close to being in the same boat.  I would have tried again!  So should you!

You are awesome! What a great attitude and uplifting message! I believe you've truly earned your spot :) Congrats!!

Here's the waitlist crowd!

UDub doesn't disclose waitlist ranking (they said as much in the notification e-mail), but I'm one of 38. 

I'm sending a "thanks for letting me know" reply to the admissions person and going to get back to my current academic stuff (and crafting). 

Currently on three waitlists (no acceptances). Really bummed because I feel like this means that I'm sufficiently qualified for the programs I applied to, but I'm just not an exciting applicant. I can't realistically reapply next year, so I'm really really hoping something comes through.

I know that waitlists aren't the end of the world -- I could still get in! I'm qualified! There's hope! -- but still... feels bad, man. 

On 3/10/2016 at 2:58 PM, danmar148 said:

Does anyone know if it's acceptable to call and ask what one's ranking on the waitlist is? I'd like to know so I can make a decision but I don't want to seem rude.

This is acceptable, but I would still wait a bit before asking. Plenty of students are still visiting schools this week and won't turn programs down until they've had time to "digest" the experiences. 

I'm glad this thread is here, even if it's not super active this year! I'm dying over here - waitlisted at my top (and only) choice program, and they can't give me any info about ranking on the list or how many other people are in the same boat. 

Refreshing my email every 5 minutes is getting olddddd. 

16 hours ago, vandemataram said:

Currently on three waitlists (no acceptances). Really bummed because I feel like this means that I'm sufficiently qualified for the programs I applied to, but I'm just not an exciting applicant. I can't realistically reapply next year, so I'm really really hoping something comes through.

I know that waitlists aren't the end of the world -- I could still get in! I'm qualified! There's hope! -- but still... feels bad, man. 

I hear you! Fingers crossed and keep us updated! 

16 hours ago, vandemataram said:

I feel you. I was on 5 waitlists and had no offers until I miraculously got off the waitlist at my top choice after being #2 on the list. I don't have any advice, I basically sulked these past two months and half heartedly looked for jobs. If I do have a bit of advice, I would say to let yourself feel how you feel---whether it's sad, angry, indifferent. You don't have to pick yourself up and move to the next plan right away. 

On 3/16/2016 at 3:08 PM, Jaydubs said:

I'm glad this thread is here, even if it's not super active this year! I'm dying over here - waitlisted at my top (and only) choice program, and they can't give me any info about ranking on the list or how many other people are in the same boat. 

Refreshing my email every 5 minutes is getting olddddd. 

Same here. I only applied to one school because of fit + location, and I can't realistically apply next year. I know that it's silly to keep holding onto hope, but I still am! I want it so much!!!

Currently have rejections from half of the programs I applied to, and at this point the most I can hope for is waitlist status at the other programs, but I was very surprisingly waitlisted at my top choice.  It's nice to hear about people actually getting off the waitlist.

Applied to concurrent programs from MIT. Got waitlisted by 1 and rejected by  the other. They said I will hear back by April 15th, but my current best choice (CMU) requires answer by April 1st. Wondering if its still worth waiting for?