Getting off the Waitlist

jmacnomad

On the waitlist of my dream school. I need to wait until April 8th for a final decision. 

Since the school is also many other people's dream and the problem only accepts a couple of people, hmmm, I don't feel there is a considerable chance, but I will keep my fingers crossed.

It happens, guys. I got an email last night (Friday night) letting me know I was accepted off the waitlist at 9:40 PM. :D:D

It's also pretty cool to know your professors care that much that they want you to have the info as soon as possible.

12 hours ago, Fleet23 said:

It happens, guys. I got an email last night (Friday night) letting me know I was accepted off the waitlist at 9:40 PM. :D:D

It's also pretty cool to know your professors care that much that they want you to have the info as soon as possible.

Congratulations!!! It was awesome if them to email you so late on a Friday night!!! Now you can celebrate over the weekend ?

On 3/19/2016 at 4:55 AM, Fleet23 said:

You're giving me hope! CONGRATULATIONS!!!! 

So let's get this thread started back up for those who are currently waitlisted for admissions at their various PHD programs. I've been waitlisted for about a month at one my top choices, and the wait has been excruciating but I'm trying to hold on to hope.... I know that waitlists are complicated at that acceptances depend on a variety of factors, but there's still hope!! I'm excited for to wake up one day  (SOON) and see CONGRATULATIONS.... in my inbox haha. Who's still waiting to get off the waitlist for this season?

Edited by +thinking

2 hours ago, +thinking said:

Who's still waiting to get off the waitlist for this season?

I'm right there with you +thinking. I inquired about my application to a program that informed me I was waitlisted, then two days later offered an interview slot. Since the interview (about a week), it has been relatively quiet though and no indication as when decisions will be made. As others have said, this is a little problematic because I have a less desirable program's acceptance that needs a response by April 15th. 

6 hours ago, Zedonger said:

I'm right there with you +thinking. I inquired about my application to a program that informed me I was waitlisted, then two days later offered an interview slot. Since the interview (about a week), it has been relatively quiet though and no indication as when decisions will be made. As others have said, this is a little problematic because I have a less desirable program's acceptance that needs a response by April 15th. 

So we have a little over two weeks before we'll know for sure, but its quite possible that this is the week that we will get our decisions (acceptances)! Let's tell ourselves that one more week can't kill us after such a long wait... who knows? our lucky day could even be tomorrow morning!

2 hours ago, anthrostudentcyn said:

Can I join in? I have one acceptance but am waitlisted for funding. It's been going on for a month now, and the professor said it's looking better for me than it did a month ago, but still up in the air. So frustrating. 

That's awesome though :) Once you have even a shred of hope that things are improving that's a really really good sign.... keep us updated as i will too! 

8 hours ago, +thinking said:

So let's get this thread started back up for those who are currently waitlisted for admissions at their various PHD programs. I've been waitlisted for about a month at one my top choices, and the wait has been excruciating but I'm trying to hold on to hope.... I know that waitlists are complicated at that acceptances depend on a variety of factors, but there's still hope!! I'm excited for to wake up one day  (SOON) and see CONGRATULATIONS.... in my inbox haha. Who's still waiting to get off the waitlist for this season?

With you on this. All I got is 2 waitlists. One's done interview and the other just letting me know I am in "the other pool". I wake up in the morning praying for an email with "Congratulations", but it has been two weeks of "...regret to inform you...". Maybe tomorrow! I still have hopes!

Edited by wishthebest

Just joined the waitlist boat as of today. My only choice, so I really hope to still get in while making plans for what to do if not. Sobbing, drinking copious amounts of vodka, then new plans! 

18 minutes ago, meteora said:

Does anyone know how an unofficial wait list works? Does it mean that there is also an official wait list?

I believe most wailists are unofficial because the coordinator of one university that waitlisted me said that I am "officially" first on the waitlist, but guess what? My friend who applied to the same university, same division got the exactly same email. Everything that is not written on paper has to be unofficial and I don't think there is any school that writes you where you are on the waitlist on paper. 

1 hour ago, wishthebest said:

I believe most wailists are unofficial because the coordinator of one university that waitlisted me said that I am "officially" first on the waitlist, but guess what? My friend who applied to the same university, same division got the exactly same email. Everything that is not written on paper has to be unofficial and I don't think there is any school that writes you where you are on the waitlist on paper. 

Thanks for your answer. Maybe they break the wait list by field. 

Anyway, it looks that your chance for the school is quite high. Good luck! 

3 hours ago, meteora said:

Thanks for your answer. Maybe they break the wait list by field. 

Anyway, it looks that your chance for the school is quite high. Good luck! 

I'm not sure, I haven't heard back from a few schools to be honest but I've been reading that a lot of schools don't inform their candidates that they're on a waitlist, so they wait to hear from the first round of accepted students to see if they accept their offers before contacting the "un-contacted" candidates. I assume that they wait then inform those candidates after if there's space so as to not give them any unnecessary hope just in case it doesn't work out, but I'm not quite sure. But the unofficial waitlist thing seems to be a standard practice among PHD programs I've heard! I guess it's better than having outright received a rejection letter :) crossing my fingers for you and everyone else!

13 hours ago, kelpster said:

Just joined the waitlist boat as of today. My only choice, so I really hope to still get in while making plans for what to do if not. Sobbing, drinking copious amounts of vodka, then new plans! 

I really hope you get in as well! I saw last year that students were being accepted off waitlists even as late as May, so there's still hope for us all!!

13 hours ago, wishthebest said:

With you on this. All I got is 2 waitlists. One's done interview and the other just letting me know I am in "the other pool". I wake up in the morning praying for an email with "Congratulations", but it has been two weeks of "...regret to inform you...". Maybe tomorrow! I still have hopes!

I bet that your "Congratulations" email will come this week or next week! Don't give up!! I'm not either so let's hope for the best together :) 

15 hours ago, anthrostudentcyn said:

@+thinking it's kind of ok but its stressful because it's my only acceptance!

I'm rooting for you too! I've not heard back from most of my schools to be honest so my hope right now is on the waitlist, so I completely understand..... Im just trying to take things in stride with a positive front all while checking my email 100000 times a day lol

1 hour ago, +thinking said:

I bet that your "Congratulations" email will come this week or next week! Don't give up!! I'm not either so let's hope for the best together :) 

Yep! I guess hoping for the best is all I can do except watching series with wines and or beers. I've always wanted to read or collect data for future research, but ended up watching stupid series. May I ask what field you are applying to? I am going for biz, which now looking back and seeing all those who got acceptances, seems to be one of the hardest to get in without papers and appropriate job experience. But, we will eventually get what we want one way or another!

Hi guys, I'm waitlisted by my first-choice school (Ph.D. in Education) on mid-Feb and haven't heard from them since then. Do you think I should contact them to let them know I am still interested in the program? Or better to wait until April? I don't know how waitlist works, but I'm wondering if it is better to make them notified that I haven't taken any offers from other schools. Please give me any advice!

51 minutes ago, eduphd said:

Hi guys, I'm waitlisted by my first-choice school (Ph.D. in Education) on mid-Feb and haven't heard from them since then. Do you think I should contact them to let them know I am still interested in the program? Or better to wait until April? I don't know how waitlist works, but I'm wondering if it is better to make them notified that I haven't taken any offers from other schools. Please give me any advice!

You can definitely follow up and ask about your status/restate interest! Restating interest won't help you get off the waitlist if they're still waiting for someone to make a decision on the offer, but it may possibly move you up the ranks among the waitlist pool if a spot opens up.  

Edited by artsy16