Getting off the Waitlist

jmacnomad

Hi, does anyone know how waitlists work with the April 15th deadline. I'm currently on an unofficial waitlist at my top school. I also have an acceptance and funding offer from a school I would be happy with. I am a little concerned because when I talked on the phone with the top school, they said they might not know whether they will take me off the waitlist until after April 15 when people let them know. By this time I already have to give the other school my decision. Is there a precedent for how this is handled? I feel like I can't be the only person to be waitlisted at their top school.

9 hours ago, turtle<3 said:

Hi, does anyone know how waitlists work with the April 15th deadline. I'm currently on an unofficial waitlist at my top school. I also have an acceptance and funding offer from a school I would be happy with. I am a little concerned because when I talked on the phone with the top school, they said they might not know whether they will take me off the waitlist until after April 15 when people let them know. By this time I already have to give the other school my decision. Is there a precedent for how this is handled? I feel like I can't be the only person to be waitlisted at their top school.

I'm in a similar situation too--waitlisted at school 1, a program I am very interested in, and accepted with funding from school 2, which I love and would be happy attending, but I'm not comfortable accepting the offer for sure without knowing the outcome of school 1 first.  I'm thinking about reaching out to school 1 again (I already emailed once to confirm interest, etc.) to let them know about my accepted offer to school 2 to see if that might at least prompt them to give some more information about where I might fall on the waitlist. Hope your situation resolves soon, and with a positive outcome :)

If anyone has any tips or thoughts about how to reach out to a program you're waitlisted at, I'd really love to hear them. I don't want to be obnoxious towards school 1, but I also want to be fair and courteous to school 2 if I decide not to accept the offer and let them know either way ASAP. 

Hey guys, is it definitely a good sign if the department I'm waitlisted at asks me if I'm still interested in the course? Hope we all manage to get off waitlist! 

Just got wait listed--well, insofar as I emailed to ask and was told so. They've said that their chosen candidates have until April 1st to accept, and that if I haven't heard by April 15th that I should contact them.

Here's the thing: traditionally, this school sends out rejections around April 7th. You know, after they've filled their slots. So I'm pretty sure I'm so far down the wait list that this is what I'm waiting for.

Dang it, that's the only program I could attend. 

Thank you, @Bluescluess! I'll be going to Old Dominion--only place I applied, as they're the only ones with the online program. WHEW. 

Called up my bestie to tell him. I was like, "Need to talk to you about an email for a moment." He's all, "Ugh, I hate it when you won't give me details, I hate it, it's the WORST and you KNOW I hate it and there's NO good reason and what is it anyway?" "Texted it to you." "What's WRONG with you, WHY would you text me something when I'm ON THE PHONE with you wait WHAT WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO YAAASSSSSSSSSS."

Pretty much all I could have hoped for, and I'm hoping you all get it too! :D

Has anyone been admitted to their top choice but wait listed at what they consider their second? I don't think I'll accept the wait listed offer if I do get admitted but I can't help but be very curious and anxious at taking myself off of the list if I don't even know what - if any - offer they would give me. But I feel bad for taking up a spot if others are waiting as well.. Any advice? I've been on this wait list since early February..

To people who got waitlisted officially : did you got any interviews before or simply notified that you are wait-listed?

I emailed the admission officer, who never wrote me back. I simply am assuming that I am waitlisted by UW Biology. Yesterday I emailed a potential PI and he said he help checked my file and I have not been invited to interview so they probably wont be accepting me. I am a bit confused now. So if they wont accept me, why not reject me yet?(People have been rejected from the program, according to result search here) Or maybe the professor simply does not know that I am waitlisted? Must people get interviewed before being waitlisted? This is so frustrating.....

14 hours ago, Punk28 said:

HOLY SMOKES, WAIT LIST DREAMS DO COME TRUE. :blink:

I'm not sure if I'm going to cry, laugh, pee, or puke, or just work all four into the next few minutes, but I got in! 

Good luck, y'all!

Congrats! :)

4 minutes ago, Danger_Zone said:

Has anyone been admitted to their top choice but wait listed at what they consider their second? I don't think I'll accept the wait listed offer if I do get admitted but I can't help but be very curious and anxious at taking myself off of the list if I don't even know what - if any - offer they would give me. But I feel bad for taking up a spot if others are waiting as well.. Any advice? I've been on this wait list since early February..

If it concerns you to withdraw from the wait list, it might help to email/call the department and get an idea of how likely it is that you'll be taken off of it. If it's unlikely, that makes your decision easier. 

But if you feel confident that you've been accepted at your top choice with funding, etc--there's no reason to stay on the other wait list. Accept the offer to your dream school! :) 

4 minutes ago, tsatsang2129 said:

To people who got waitlisted officially : did you got any interviews before or simply notified that you are wait-listed?

I emailed the admission officer, who never wrote me back. I simply am assuming that I am waitlisted by UW Biology. Yesterday I emailed a potential PI and he said he help checked my file and I have not been invited to interview so they probably wont be accepting me. I am a bit confused now. So if they wont accept me, why not reject me yet?(People have been rejected from the program, according to result search here) Or maybe the professor simply does not know that I am waitlisted? Must people get interviewed before being waitlisted? This is so frustrating.....

I'm in a different field so I don't know how comparable my experience is but even if others have been rejected it's still possible to be much later on. One program I applied to started to reject people in February but I just heard back (and was rejected) less than a week ago. However, the person who I talked to also said there might be some kind of wait list but they weren't really sure where I stood.. So sometimes who you talk to know about as much as you do unfortunately. So I don't think you can know for sure until you get an official notification, but I don't think not being invited to an interview necessarily means you were rejected. 

16 minutes ago, tsatsang2129 said:

I agree--it sucks that schools do this sometimes! I will say that I've been wait listed without an interview, but I'm in a very different program. It sounds like they sent out at least one round (maybe more) of acceptances/rejections. This means that they admitted their top choices and rejected the people that they definitely absolutely for sure will not accept. The people that they're not sure about are essentially on a silent wait list. The school will then send out another round of acceptances/rejections for the people who could go either way. However, it's late in the process now, so if you haven't heard specifically that you've been wait listed or gotten a call/email from the DGS, unfortunately, it's unlikely you'll be accepted :/ but you never know! Hopefully it works out in your favor :) 

Edited by ClassApp

5 minutes ago, magnetite said:

Were you the one who posted about ASU being impressed with your application?

No, but my email said the same thing as the other poster so I am assuming its a generic email. I am going to put my update on there now.

6 minutes ago, ETRXRock said:

No, but my email said the same thing as the other poster so I am assuming its a generic email. I am going to put my update on there now.

Nice. Makes three of us then, at least. So that counts as being on a wait-list?

6 minutes ago, wishthebest said:

Maybe I am misreading. Since it is 5 in the morning here, I might as well wake up later and check my email again because I cannot believe I am off the waitlist!!! What happened!!! Thank god!!!

Congrats! :D