Social Psychology 2009

weeble

(Unfortunately?) Davis' interview is 3/9 so I guess the decision may coincide with that... :/

I have no idea what that means for you. If I hadn't declined the interview I could have let you know if I'd gotten the same email...

Yesterday I received a generic email from UC Davis that said "We are in the process of making a decision on your application for admission. You may review the decision after 8:00 a.m. PST on March 9, 2009, by accessing your UC Davis application on the online admission web site."

Did anyone else who applied to Davis receive an email like this? Does anyone know if Davis already had an interview/recruitment weekend? I haven't seen much about Davis on the forum, so I'm really not sure what to expect when I check my status on March 9th...

I had applied to the Cognitive area. I did not receive any such mail :( I however did email the professor who I'd wanted to work with and he replied:

----------------------------

Thank you for your e-mail and patience.

Invitations for interviews have gone out to selected applicants.

Further official communication from Graduate Studies at UC Davis is

forthcoming.

----------------------

I don't know if they send out interview invitations to international students. I sure haven't received any. Could any of you tell me if international students also get these invitations? If they do, I probably can safely assume that I've been rejected.

has anyone applied to UMAss, Amherst; WashU; Purdue; Maryland- College Park; Rochester; U Kansas (for social psych - phd) ?? I got accepted by Kansas but no news of funding yet. Haven't heard from the others :( Wondering whether they're taking in international students this year!

I also applied for social psych at UC Davis. I did not get an interview invite or a generic email. Hmmmm... Guess I'll check my status on Monday and hope for the best!

I did just get a phone interview invite for GWU. No idea if they're interviewing all candidates or not. The email (from my POI) said I was on a short list and proposed a couple of phone interview times. We'll see...

I also applied for social psych at UC Davis. I did not get an interview invite or a generic email. Hmmmm... Guess I'll check my status on Monday and hope for the best!

I did just get a phone interview invite for George Washington University. No idea if they're interviewing all candidates or not. The email (from my POI) said I was on a short list and proposed a couple of phone interview times. We'll see...

Whoops, my apologies for the misinformation then! I was told there were no interviews, so I guess maybe I just spoke to someone who didn't know otherwise. At any rate, congrats weeble!!

EDIT: I actually just got an e-mail too :)

Hey, so I'm new to the forum (and can join in the long list of Princeton rejects). I was wondering if anyone had heard from UVA or UChicago for social? For UVA mine still says pending, and I hadn't heard anything about Chicago interviews. Thanks! :)

Hey, so I'm new to the forum (and can join in the long list of Princeton rejects). I was wondering if anyone had heard from UVA or UChicago for social? For UVA mine still says pending, and I hadn't heard anything about Chicago interviews. Thanks! :)

Hey Lorax,

This has been up on the Chicago website for months:

Decisions will be mailed during the first week of March via first class postal service.

We do not give decisions by phone or email.

That leads me to believe there were no interviews...but I could always be wrong :)

I still haven't heard anything from ASU, despite many other people hearing back either way on the single digit pages of this thread! I've been under the assumption that this means I have been rejected. Is anyone else in the same boat?

Of course the ASURite page says my status is "in review" and that my application is "under evaluation," but somehow I doubt this :).

The only one on your list that I applied to was Rochester. I went there for an interview, was wait listed & rejected last week. They only accepted 2 people this year since they had less funding....

Congrats on your acceptance to Kansas though! :)

I called UVA and apparently they have had one round of interviews and were supposedly going to send out another round of interview invites this week. Each area of psych does things differently there and i just got the feeling that there is no timeline or no set way of doing things there. I think the individual professor gets to choose when his or her interview offers are sent out and when the actual interviews are conducted. My status also still says "pending" but given how late in the game it is, i don't have much hope that it will turn into "admitted." That kind of boggles my mind too because i was almost over-qualified for that program and it just seemed like the perfect fit research-wise. Oh well. :(

My sympathy to whomever posted about the reject from UMass-Amherst today. My status changed from 'applied' to 'pending' earlier this week and i'm pretty sure that's code for "pending you recieving your rejection letter in the mail". Ugh.

I was so worried about not applying to many/enough schools at the beginning of this process and now that's it's winding down without an acceptance in sight, I'm just pissed off at the money it took and the huge time investment.

My sympathy to whomever posted about the reject from UMass-Amherst today. My status changed from 'applied' to 'pending' earlier this week and i'm pretty sure that's code for "pending you recieving your rejection letter in the mail". Ugh.

I was so worried about not applying to many/enough schools at the beginning of this process and now that's it's winding down without an acceptance in sight, I'm just pissed off at the money it took and the huge time investment.

Word.

Seriously. I mean i applied to 9 schools and according to my professors, they were schools that i had fantastic chances at. Last semester i kept telling people that you never know with applications and that i wouldn't be surprised if i got in everywhere or if i got in nowhere. But looking back on it now and sitting here without a single acceptance, hoping that one of my 3 remaining schools has some good news for me, i'm realizing that never in a million years did i expect to be in this position. I know i'll be fine and that i'll figure out something else to do and will reapply in a couple years, but to be perfectly honest, i'm heartbroken.

I know i'll be fine and that i'll figure out something else to do and will reapply in a couple years, but to be perfectly honest, i'm heartbroken.

I'm very sorry. It's a terrible, terrible, heartbreaking process.

It makes me feel better and worse to know that it is also largely random. As a rejection letter I got many years ago put it, there are many equally qualified candidates, and while the schools try to be as systematic as possible, the truth is that the reason one person gets in and another doesn't is often that there is no reason. The schools can talk about match, but match is often code-word for 'one professor liked the guy with the hat because he likes hats.'

This is not sour grapes, because that's not the position I'm in, but I am bitter.

The only one on your list that I applied to was Rochester. I went there for an interview, was wait listed & rejected last week. They only accepted 2 people this year since they had less funding....

Congrats on your acceptance to Kansas though! :)

So I guess Rochester is out then.. :(

I applied to UMass -Amherst and have heard nothing (despite emailing). Are you going go to Kansas? (I'm waitlisted there!)

I'm waiting for news on funding.. As of now they cant give any :( I'll make the decision accordingly .. where else have you applied to?

Seriously. I mean i applied to 9 schools and according to my professors, they were schools that i had fantastic chances at. Last semester i kept telling people that you never know with applications and that i wouldn't be surprised if i got in everywhere or if i got in nowhere. But looking back on it now and sitting here without a single acceptance, hoping that one of my 3 remaining schools has some good news for me, i'm realizing that never in a million years did i expect to be in this position. I know i'll be fine and that i'll figure out something else to do and will reapply in a couple years, but to be perfectly honest, i'm heartbroken.

I'd just like to offer some encouragement to the people that didn't have any luck this year. I was in your position in 2008, but this year I was able to get in. Really, so much of this process is beyond your control, what with the availability of funding, willingness of the prof to take a student any given year, and whatever your competition is. I'd encourage you to try again next year - at least with me, I knew I was qualified, I just had to wait for the stars to align just right. Take this next year to get out of some undergrad debt, get some world experience and make sure the grad school is really what you want to do. Next year you'll be all the better for it... Talking as someone who has been there - it really isn't the end of the world.

I am also pending- to whomever got the rejection letter- can you say when it was dated? Maybe mine is taking a while to get to the West Coast?

I'm new to this site, but I was the one with the rejection letter from UMass, it was dated Feb. 27th (not sure what the post mark was because I don't have the envelope anymore). This school was beyond what I was expecting to get into, so no surprise.

Has anyone heard from the University of Wisconsin? Someone there just told me they will send out all letters by next Friday. And has anyone heard from the University of Chicago? I know they are sending out their letters this week, but I have no idea if they have been in contact with anyone.

Hey dukegirl, have you had your interview with GWU yet? Just curious. I just had mine. I think it went well... Decisions are supposed to go out next week.

Yes, I had it. I think it went well, very short -- just talked for 15 minutes about research interests, asked a couple of questions, etc. Good luck!

I'm new to this site, but I was the one with the rejection letter from UMass, it was dated Feb. 27th (not sure what the post mark was because I don't have the envelope anymore). This school was beyond what I was expecting to get into, so no surprise.

Has anyone heard from the University of Wisconsin? Someone there just told me they will send out all letters by next Friday. And has anyone heard from the University of Chicago? I know they are sending out their letters this week, but I have no idea if they have been in contact with anyone.

I heard from University of Chicago, but in Comparative Human Development. What program did you apply to?

I applied to the Social Psych program. I'm sure I didn't get it but it would be nice to know for sure. I have a spot in another lower ranked (although those ranks haven't been updated in 10 years so I don't trust them) research 1 university which I think I will be really happy at, but it would be nice to know for sure where I am going next year.